Fondant Figures

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 9:14am by SarahJane

Lorabell Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 13

Can anyone tell me how they do fondant figures? I try, but I can't them to look very realistic, especially with fingers and toes. I also have a hard time getting the arms and legs to stay on. Is there anything better besides water to get fondant to stick to fondant? All advise is appreciated!

Lorabell icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
ranbel Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 13

Yeah, I would like to know also.. icon_wink.gif

phoohbear Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 13

If you really want to do a lot of figures I would suggest getting one of debbie browns book she is amazing at figures and has a way of explaining them that most people can follow. But if you want a quick answer then...
To glue you have many choices I use "sugar glue" witch is gum arabic mixed with a little water. but you can also use royal icing, egg white (be careful this leaves shiny spots wherever it touches) or even disolve a little fondant in some water and make a paste.
To make hands you roll out a log for the arms and then flatten one end to make the hand cut small lines to make the fingers and then kinda pull and roll each finger to make it longer and rounded. roll around the wrist and elbow areas to give the arm some shape.

hope22023 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 13

My main suggestion for shaping figures is to practice. I have checked out clay modeling books from my local library and used those as a guide. If you can work quickly, adding gumtex of tyulose to the fondant will help with droopiness. However, the piece will dry very quickly!

To get the fondant to stick to itself, use something with an alcohol base. Some people use lemon extract, some use vodka. Its just a personal preference. The alcohol will evaporate quicker than water. Some people also use "fondant glue" which is basically some fondant (a pinch basically) mixed with a few drops of water until it forms a paste. The nice thing about this is that you can "mortar" seams.

phoohbear Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 13

Oh also, if you want to make life SOOOOOO much eaiser make sure you are adding tyclose powder to the fondant. About two tsp. added to 1lb of fondant. It makes it so much easier to work with by giving the fondant more snap it helps control the fingerprints and lets you roll them finger without pulling them off.

SuHwa Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 13

Member aine2 has several wonderful tutorials on her website. One is a free tutorial on how to make faces. The other two are for sale; one a baby figure, and one a woman. They are very informative and it doesn't take a lot of imagination to be able to translate the directions into other figures.

As for glue you need boiling water and some gumpaste or fondant. I use a small bit of the paste/fondant and dissolve it into a small container of boiling water. Let it cool down and it's ready to use for glue. I keep mine in the fridge in a clean baby food jar. When I'm gluing something together I shake the jar really well and pour out only what I'm going to use then paint it onto the parts that need to stick together.

purplebutterfly1234 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 13

Does anyone know how much it costs to buy one of her tutorials? (us dollars)

aine2 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 13

Just noticed this! icon_lol.gif Here's a currency converter for you that may help. Reviews and info can be found on . I also did a little video to try and help people with hands. That can be seen on

" rel="nofollow">

Hope that helps! Cheers! thumbs_up.gif

Leahmaria7981 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 13

Can't you also buy molds for this? Or make them to make later fondant figures easier?

purplebutterfly1234 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:26am
post #10 of 13

Hey, that's pretty good stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

Price Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:40am
post #11 of 13

Aine2's tutorials are great. Very detailed instructions. You can also purchase "Sculpy Clay" books. The directions for modeling clay can very easily be translated into fondant. If you haven't done any modeling, you might want to start out with something simple like a frog!

Caution: Modeling is addictive!

doitallmom Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #12 of 13

I tell ya, I just loovvveeeee CC. I never knew that using just that small amount of tylose would help control fingerprints!!Thanks to all!!

SarahJane Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:14am
post #13 of 13

I love modeling-it's my favorite. I use Tylose powder in my fondant too. But I have to use a lot more than stated above, because of the high humidity. Also, they say on the package to add it and let it sit, but that has been disasterous for me. It turns hard as a rock. Anyway, I don't think individual fingers are necessary on most things. I use a thumb and then all the rest of the fingers "together" (look at my pics). Also, looking as clay modeling books is helpful and looking at 3 dimensinal (sp?) objects is really important-at least for me. When I did my clifford cake, I looked at pictures I found on the internet, but I also looked at one of my daughters toys to get the right shape. Hope this is helpful.