Which States Are Legal?

Business By Meagan Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 3:59am by butterflyjuju

Meagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:00am
post #1 of 15

My husband and I live in Texas, and here it is illegal to operate a business out of your home kitchen. Just out of curiosity (in case a move is in our future) what states ARE legal? Which ones are like Texas and aren't?

Thanks so much! You guys are probably the only other people I know that would let something like this decide where you move! icon_wink.gif

14 replies
dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:07am
post #2 of 15

Same as Texas here. icon_cry.gif

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:08am
post #3 of 15

You have to have a licensed kitchen in NY.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:10am
post #4 of 15

Can't bake from home in California.

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:12am
post #5 of 15

I think someone made a post not long ago of every state and whether they can or can't bake from home and if not, who they have to contact to become legal. Not sure where to look for it, but it should be in the forums somewhere.

Meagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:03am
post #6 of 15

In New York, you can be licensed from home, or not from home at all?

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:03am
post #7 of 15

I am in TN and you can get a home kitchen licensed pretty easily. They also turn their heads to "home bakers" doing wedding cakes, bd cakes and such. I have been in business for over a year with business card and the like and have never had a problem.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:07am
post #8 of 15

In PA its legal to bake from home. There's some guidelines you have to follow in order to get licensed but its not too difficult, as far as I know.

I haven't done it yet since I don't get enough cake orders and because I do not own my home.

kellyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyo Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:15am
post #9 of 15

In Florida you can't be licensed from home, too icon_sad.gif

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:17am
post #10 of 15

I am also a baker in upstate NY. I am licensed by the NY State Department of Health. I have a separate kitchen in my home. I cannot use my family kitchen. I have had a very good relationship with the NYSDoH. They have helped me become a credible bakery and taught me how to have a safe environment for my customers as well as myself. It has been a very rewarding experience. It costs me $75 per year for the permit.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:38am
post #11 of 15

Here is my thread with the (known) status of all states:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-32550.html

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 15

For NY, it depends on what county you live. Each county may do something a little different. In Monroe County, for instance, you must have a separate kitchen and be inspected by the Health Dept each year, do the food safety course, your kitchen must meet certain codes, etc. But I was talking to someone in Livingston County and from what I understand, they just need a separate stove and be inspected every year and meet other certain guidelines, but they are not required to have a complete and separate kitchen. Best bet for NY is to check with your County Clerk's office and or local Health Deptment.

Belovedeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belovedeve Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 15

southernbelle Iam in TN as well and want to start a home business and what to know what steps you had to take to get the home kitchen license.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle

I am in TN and you can get a home kitchen licensed pretty easily. They also turn their heads to "home bakers" doing wedding cakes, bd cakes and such. I have been in business for over a year with business card and the like and have never had a problem.

I am from TN as well, I was under the impression that you couldn't have a legal business out of your kitchen!!! Wow, could you please tell me how you went about doing this????

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:59am
post #15 of 15

What about Oklahoma? Anyone?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%