Silver Airbrush Paste?

Decorating By lindambc Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 3:19am by ATCakes

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a Dallas Cowboys helmet cake. I need to find silver food coloring or paste. If anyone knows where I can find this or has any suggestions on how to get this look please let me know. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 7

There is no silver coloring paste.What you are seeing is Lustre dust which is silver that is mixed with small amounts of alcohol like Vodka or lemon extract.You then paint with a small artist's brush the silver paste onto the areas of your cake that you want silver.

rlviescas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlviescas Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #3 of 7

Glad I found this post. I had to read it to my dh to prove I was right! icon_cool.gif Yay for CC and all the great info on it. icon_biggrin.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:59am
post #4 of 7

Americolor has a silver sheen color that you put in your air brush or you can paint it on the after it dries you cake dry brush it with silver luster dust it really brings out the silver and shine I used this method on some dog tags on a Army cake they looked like the real deal.

Moly2

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:06am
post #5 of 7

i use Lucks silver airbrush spray....i get it at pfiel and holding

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #6 of 7

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=596&SubCatId=149&productId=631910

They do make silver/gold/pearl airbrush color though I haven't used them so I can' t comment on how they work. I usually use silver dust (not luster dust, but actual silver or gold or super pearl) diluted with vodka and spray that through the airbrush.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:19am
post #7 of 7

I just used the Amerimist Silver & Gold sheen on a bunch of stars I used on Hollywood theme cupcakes. It worked really well. Just a hint: Color the white fondant a light gray before you use the silver. You won't have to use so much to cover the helmet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%