Gumpaste Bluebonnets...

Decorating By gmcakes Updated 8 Apr 2014 , 4:21pm by bk1419

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 17

...from American Cake Decorating magazine! Has anyone tried to do these? I live in Texas, and it is our state flower, and I just couldn't wait to give these a try! I am making 10 of them for "practice", my goodness they do take some time to make, but I think they were worth it!

Just posted the pics:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=lastup&cat=0&pos=-75613

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-75621

...how did I do?

16 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 17

They look very good (I just posted to the 2nd photo) would you share the instructions, I recently cancelled my subscription and don't think I'll be getting this issue. I'd love to try some of them. Janice

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 17

You did a great job. I thought that they looked like they would be time consuming when i read the article. How long did it take you?

gmcakes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 17

I probably have about 4 hrs in them so far, but I am not finished! I probably can finish the assembly and get them airbrushed in about another hour or so. The assembly is fairly easy once you know what you are doing (and being from TX I know what they look like by heart!).

The time consuming part is assembling all of the individual petals. For these 10 flowers, I had to make about 200 individual petals and then go back and put a "hood" on 150 of them!

I hoping they will be easier to do...next time I get this stupid! I love the look of gumpaste flowers, but they just take so LONG for me to do!

tonenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonenia Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 17

I'm from Texas also and would like the instructions. They are so pretty and look so real!
Thanks for sharing!

gmcakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 17

I finally finished them all last night. Total time spent on these, I would estimate at, about 6 hours!!!!! (Completed bluebonnets attched below.)

If any one would like the instructions, PM me or post your email here. The file size is too large to add as an attachment here or in a PM, I will have to email them to you.

I have them saved from sending them to veejaytx, and would be more than happy to forward them to anyone who wants them!

I will be gone for most of the day, but I will send them out this evening to any who post their email address by that time!
LL

veejaytx Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 17

The directions she emailed to me are great, and I'm sure it took quite a while to get them scanned and sent, so I just wanted to say a big thank you again to Glenda. Janice

ttukat04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttukat04 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 17

Your bluebonnets are awesome. They look just like the real thing. I live in North Carolina right now, but I am a Texan at heart and would love to have a copy of the directions. I'm still learning but when I have more skills down, I'd love to try them someday. My email is [email protected]. Thanks so much!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 17

Gorgeous! I love bluebonnets! I would love to have the instructions. My mom would flip over those. My email is [email protected] (I'm in Texas, too!)

gmcakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 1:29pm
post #10 of 17

To all the "Thank You's" a big YOU'RE WELCOME!!!

If any one else needs instructions let me know!!! I would be happy to share!

gmcakes Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:28am
post #11 of 17

Hi, everyone! Just posted the finished cake, I now feel safe saying this is my 2006 County Fair Entry!!! You can see it here:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-76217

I got reserve champion last year, a fellow CC'er won the grand champion. I kind of threw the cake together last year, and wanted to make sure to stretch myself to the limit this year! The entry is due by 10am tomorrow, with judging at noon! I will have post to let everyone know how I did!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and support this week! You helped give me the confidence to create my vision for this cake!

veejaytx Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 7:42am
post #12 of 17

Absolutely love it, it looks perfect to me. Janice

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 17

they looked great. I found a tutorial on them while I was looking for something. Not sure how you do it, but maybe it is an easier way.

http://www.frostatiers.com/demo2004May.htm

gmcakes Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhoffert

they looked great. I found a tutorial on them while I was looking for something. Not sure how you do it, but maybe it is an easier way.

http://www.frostatiers.com/demo2004May.htm

Had to check out the link! Yes, these instructions are very similar to the ones in American Cake Decorating magazine, minus the pictures.

They could be very helpful to any who do not subscribe!

duds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duds Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 17

I would highly appreciate it if you could share w/ me your instructions for the bluebonnet gumpaste. Thanks so much

jennewcomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennewcomb Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 4:48am
post #16 of 17

ACan you still email your instructions for the bluebonnet? If so I'd love to get them for a friend that wants them on her wedding cake. [email protected]

bk1419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bk1419 Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 4:21pm
post #17 of 17

can you please email me the instructions I would love to make them, being a Texan myself lol  To [email protected]   thank you so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%