Warning - My Cake On Someone's Site!

Lounge By arosstx Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 3:02pm by Heath

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:05am
post #1 of 309

Well, now it's happened to me too. My bridal shower cake that everyone loves (the one w/ the wedding dress on top) is posted and offered on www.worksofartcakes.com.

I read about the artist, and she's had enough training to NOT need my cake on her website! There is also one there taken from The Knot, so I figured I would let everyone at CC know in case YOUR cake is on her site too.

It's happened before, I just never thought it would be me....I emailed her and asked to please remove it asap. We'll see what happens.

308 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:24am
post #2 of 309

You could take it as flattering. It is in some very good company.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:26am
post #3 of 309

Geez, Audrey, it wouldn't be so bad but the pics are posted in a "portfolio" (which indicates to me that they were decorated by the poster).

It's not even like she had them in an "ideas" gallery... (which still would have been wrong - but at least it wouldn't imply she made them!!!!)

Don't know what's up with people who think everything they see online is free for their personal/professional use.

Hope the issue is resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. (I'm thinking a speedy removal of your cake photo and a profuse apology.)

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:32am
post #4 of 309

I wished I could be good enough for someone to copy my picture icon_cry.gif

jnoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnoel Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:33am
post #5 of 309

Hee hee...I found one on there that I recognized from the Publix Grocery Store site. What are people thinking?

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:40am
post #6 of 309

OMG!!! icon_eek.gif I just went thru the link you had in your posting and it IS THERE!!! Unbelievable. I am so surprised she did not ask your permissiont to offer it as an idea/option and give you credit. When I look at sites I assume the person who owns the site is the originator of the idea. I am shocked. I am interested in seeing how this plays out.

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:40am
post #7 of 309

This person has been asked to stop this at least once before. I'm no good at finding old threads, JanH might be able, she the queen! But, this person was VERY unhappy when I sent her PM advising her that using other people's photos on her website may cause a bit of trouble. She was so unhappy that she started a thread I think it was called "new member bashing" but I don't remember her id or anything. I do remember it being laughable.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:41am
post #8 of 309

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! icon_biggrin.gif NO?!

melissa043 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa043 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:42am
post #9 of 309

i recognized this one that i thought i saw someone post a few days ago here on CC saying they used a laser level for making the dots perfectly straight. And her husband helped her alot with it. I could be wrong. But i figured i'd put it out there just incase....
LL

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:46am
post #10 of 309

Publix probably uses stock photos, which you will see in a lot places, usually. However, that doesn't explain why they have arosstx's photo on their site, unless the company they got their photos from (since they obviously aren't their own) is the one stealing them.

Holly

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:52am
post #11 of 309

Yeah, I recognize one of the cakes too. The stadium cake picture belongs to a local girl in Apex, NC...cindascreativecakes.com.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:05am
post #12 of 309

I found one on Atlantic Cakes the other day that I knew was Marina Sousa's from the Cakewalk at Grand Central Station show, not just her cake, but her photo. I emailed Marina and she got in touch, the cake is no longer on that website. People just amaze me sometimes, if they are using someone else's cake and get an order for it how are they going to explain to the client they can't create it for them?

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:19am
post #13 of 309

Well she must realized you guys have caught her because her slide show is empty and she has hardly any cake pics up. lets hope she learns her lesson. does anyone else find it funny that each of the cakes shown are so different normally a decorator will have at least one trait that makes a cake their creation. these are all so different.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 309

Uhm, no she still has the "lifted" pictures on the site.

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 309

Could she even do the cakes posted for the prices she has listed???

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 309

Hmm...I still see cakes in the gallery there, and one or two I thought I recognized, but not sure if they were from here, all very nice cakes though. If those are her work, I don't see why she'd need to lift any from CC; she appears to do very good work (or so it would appear).

On a side note, my eyes about popped out when I saw the price $1.95 a serving for BC?! icon_eek.gif Who still charges that??! I bet you can't even get an ice cream cone at McDonald's for that!

sorry...did I say that out loud?

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 309

I don't know, but for some reason (that she lives like an hour from me) I felt the need to email her. And gave he a peice of my mind. I guess I should have been good....but right now I just couldn't help myself....lol

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:48pm
post #18 of 309

Please don't make comments about this person not being able to decorate the cakes she's showing. Some people get upset about people "bashing" others by questioning this and then these threads get locked.

I honestly don't think that her ablities really matter in this, even if someone really good takes someone else's photo it's still wrong.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:55pm
post #19 of 309

I just looked at her website, and the pictures are still there, just the slideshow is blank. You can still click on the pic to see it.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:55pm
post #20 of 309

I just looked at the site and the slide show is empty but the individual pics are there to click on. The pretty pink dress cake is still there. Seems like a person with that training would be creating enough of their own cakes to fill their portfolio. It's flattering that she likes your cake so much yet wrong that she use your photo on her site. Why not create the cake herself and post that pic? Geesh...........

Your dress cake is very pretty!!

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #21 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillykaci1

I don't know, but for some reason (that she lives like an hour from me) I felt the need to email her. And gave he a peice of my mind. I guess I should have been good....but right now I just couldn't help myself....lol

I'm with you(I'm in Lorena,Tx)! I am soooo embarrased that this is a fellow Texan--we should hog-tie and brand her!!

bcortez01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcortez01 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:00pm
post #22 of 309

I'm sorry your so upset. Is it your same exact photo. (Meaning is that the one you made yourself & took a pic of) and that's why your upset. Or is it because she recreated the same cake as you?

I'm with JoAnn B, I think it's compliment. (that is if she remade the cake)

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:01pm
post #23 of 309

Yah, I was shocked to see her bc goes for just $1.95 per serving. Actually the very thought of limiting myself to 2 wedding cakes per day about floored me. I never want to be that busy....lol and never expect to be. My hat's off to anyone with business like that, whoever they may be.

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:08pm
post #24 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcortez01

I'm sorry your so upset. Is it your same exact photo. (Meaning is that the one you made yourself & took a pic of) and that's why your upset. Or is it because she recreated the same cake as you?

I'm with JoAnn B, I think it's compliment. (that is if she remade the cake)

It's her photo, the cake the she made and photo that she took.. it wasn't re-created.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #25 of 309

Let me guess...Someone else created her website and she had no idea that other peoples' cakes were on there.

(okay I am done being sarcastic now) icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:21pm
post #26 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cake

Let me guess...Someone else created her website and she had no idea that other peoples' cakes were on there.

(okay I am done being sarcastic now) icon_smile.gif

Of course that's why. dunce.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:23pm
post #27 of 309

makes you wonder if any of the cakes are done by them or if they get all their pics from others. That's sad that someone would do that. The least they could do is re-make the cake themselves and take a pic of that!

bcortez01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcortez01 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:26pm
post #28 of 309

OHHH, Ok!!

Now, I understand better.

I don't understand. Why people can not just recreate the work. If they like it that much. Shouldn't they just at least try to make it first. To make sure they can recreate it, for there customer. I would be afraid of offering something that I had recreated. Because, what if it doesn't come out. Like there's. What do you say to yr customer.......er.....I'm sorry. That photo real wasn't mine in my gallery. I tried the best I could. LOL

On another note, I loved you cake I think it's so cute. I've saved it to my favorites!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:50pm
post #29 of 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

I read about the artist, and she's had enough training to NOT need my cake on her website!

So here is my 2 cents....if she is representing the photos as hers and shows dishonesty there....are we to assume that perhaps she is being less than forthright on her credentials?

I believe that an individual's integerity is shown through all of their actions. Therefore, when one aspect is shown to be less than admirable, I start to wonder about all aspects.

If I am incorrect in my assumations, then I humbly apologize.

Julia

Rochelle1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rochelle1 Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 6:35pm
post #30 of 309

My techno geek sister has already advise me on this although I have not listen to her(NOW I WILL). Just an note of advice to everyone also water mark your name across your photo. Not at the corners where it can be cut off. Right acroos it to make it more challenging for them to remove it. This will most definately discourage them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%