Teired/stacked Cake Construction

Decorating By ajbcmh1 Updated 21 Jul 2005 , 4:53am by cakemommy

ajbcmh1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajbcmh1 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 32

Please forgive me ladies and men, I don't believe I am asking this, but I was on the Articles section of this site and I was reading all about "Teired/Stacked Cake Construction".
Now at the end of the demostration it saids to sharpen a dowel and insert into the cake to build more strength. So does that mean that when I put one cake onto of the other that there is no cake base to put on the cake that I just inserted the dowels into?
So I am just putting a cake untop of the cake I inseted the dowels into?
Also, so when I am ready to cut the cake do I remove the cake then cur, even though it doesn't have a base?
I hope I'm making sense. I feel so stupid asking this.

31 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 12:02am
post #2 of 32

you need a plate or cardboard underneith the tiers, the rule i follow is every 3 to 4 inches you need support, and that includes a board.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 12:37am
post #3 of 32

I think they mean that you sharpen the end of the dowel to push it more easily through all the layers of cake and the cake boards...(with a mallet?). It looks like these instructions were from the Wilton yearbooks. I read, and re-read these instructions several times to understand icon_smile.gif...

Also, it says "Cakes are supported and stabilized by dowel rods and cake boards." Just before it starts listing the #1. instruction.

Hope this helps?

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 12:39am
post #4 of 32

Try this link out and read how it explains more in detail. Hope it helps you some!
http://www.cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 12:32am
post #5 of 32

No question is a stupid question-that's how we learn! icon_biggrin.gif
Let's say for example you are making a 3 tier stacked cake (6,10,14" for example)-place wooden dowels in the bottom tier in a circle, dust the area to be covered by the 10" with powdered sugar or coconut then place your 10" cake (on a covered-both sides-cardboard cake board) on top, dowel that layer, repeat with dusting of your choice (this will prevent the icing from sticking to the board), and place the top tier. Now as far as the dowel all the way thru the layers-I place a small hole in the cardboard circles (about the size of a quarter) in the center, position the sharpened dowel and push it thru the layers. SquirrlleyCakes, the cake guru, places her dowel in the bottom tier and lowers the other tiers down on top. She has posted about it somewhere on here.
When you are ready to cut/serve the cake, just lift the layers off to serve and remove the dowels.
I hope this helps!
dori

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 1:03am
post #6 of 32

Hmmmm.....something about the word mallet and cake in the same sentence scares me!! icon_surprised.gif Has anyone actually done it before I try??

Another question: Is it ok to do a cake with an 8, 10 and 12 or do I have to go buy the 14 pan?

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 1:18am
post #7 of 32

I am definitely not down with the mallet idea icon_eek.gif I read a post about a lady who crushed her cakes doing that!! That's why I always put a hole in the center. You don't need a mallet-it just pushes right thru the cakes-no muss, no fuss!
As far as size, it's personal prefrence. It might have a bit of a cone look but you could get a 6" pan for $5 at Wal-Mart . Try stacking the pans to get an idea of what it might look like. My cousin's wedding cake was an 8, 10 and 12 but we put the 8 on plate and pillar and stacked the 10 and 12. I personally wanted to put a 6 on top but her topper wouldn't work with a smaller cake.

dori

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 1:39am
post #8 of 32

I have used a mallet before and it does work. I have also sharpened a dowel rod and just poked it trough the tiers and that worked too. I was really nervouse the first time I did it...but I just followed the step by step directions in a Wilton Weddings magazine...and I was fine. I have done an 8,10,12, and the bride loved it. I am sure you will do a great job! icon_smile.gif
traci

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 3:41am
post #9 of 32

Ok, I am feeling stupid but I am wicked terrified to put the dowell down the middle. I don't want to have to make a practice cake.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 3:49am
post #10 of 32

I was too the first time I did it! But it really adds extra support. I was so glad I did it because it was a 4 tier stacked cake that I had to drive downtown. I had nothing to cover it... and it was riding in the back of the car!!! It made it there and none of the tiers fell...thanks to the dowel rod in the middle!!! Better safe than sorry!!! icon_wink.gif
traci

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 4:41am
post #11 of 32

I use the sharpened dowel driven down the center of tiered cakes a lot. If you have your dowel rod sharpened to a point, you can drive it down with a small mallet or a small ping hammer. Just be very careful and take your time. It really does add stability to the tiered cakes, especially if you need to drive with them stacked. The center dowel will need to be removed for serving purposes if the cakes are different flavors. Otherwise, the servers can serve one layer at a time and remove the board off the dowel as they need to move to the next layer. I always leave a note for the caterers (or servers) if there is a dowel in the center so they will know what to expect. Good Luck!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 11:10am
post #12 of 32

i guess, i'm odd man out, i don't use the center dowel. I deliver my cakes cold and stacked. Have delivered as much as 4 tiers already stacked with no center dowel. And knock on wood haven't lost anything yet.

Oh, and BTW all my cakes have to go down a very steep hill before getting to the main road, and most of my deliveries are over country roads.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 32

I got the stress free support system so I dont' have to mess with dowls anymore, but before that i did what squirrelly did. Put a little hote in each tier and then lower it onto the dowl. It save a lot of headache trying to poke a dowl down throught the cake.

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 1:17pm
post #14 of 32

How does the stress free support system work?

peacockplace Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 1:25pm
post #15 of 32

It's a metal ring with threaded legs You screw the legs onto the threads and they stay put. You can adjust the height and she has diffrent size legs you can order. Then you push the legs into the cake and sit your next cake ontop of the ring. It's pricy, but I love it and would do a stacked cake without it!

Jenni27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni27 Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 32

Where can you get one of those support systems at?

peacockplace Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 1:42pm
post #17 of 32

Go here http://www.earlenescakes.com/newringsupportset.htm
It has all the information, at the bottom of the page is a link for instructions on how to use it!

Bubbles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbles Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 3:39pm
post #18 of 32

That sounds better than cutting those wooden dowels. I will have to check that out - thanks

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 4:36pm
post #19 of 32

Hi there......Peacock....a question re; the stress free separators....

Does each layer actually attach to the one below it or does it just rest on top of it? Thanks!

peacockplace Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 7:33pm
post #20 of 32

You have to put a sturdy plate under each layer. ( I use masonite boards wrappen in contact paper) Then you press the legs into the cake, then put frosting on top of the ring and put the next cake board on top of that. The frosting works like glue to keep the ring and the cake board together. It works so well, when I'm trying to remove a layer to cut, the rind and legs come out with the board above. It sticks just that well.

Look at this page. It explains the the instructions
http://www.earlenescakes.com/pkgckconst.htm

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 11:44pm
post #21 of 32

Thanks...it sounds like a great product.....

a_blonde_betty_boop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
a_blonde_betty_boop Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 10:49am
post #22 of 32

This sounds like a silly question...but the wedding cake I will be doing will not be moved....will i still have to use all the dows?

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 9:22pm
post #23 of 32

When I took my classes, the instructor had metal circle supports. They look exactly like silver duct work pipes (like for your furnace). She had different sizes for the cakes and would put them directly into the cake, the plate sat right on top. Does anyone else use these? Our local store sells them but they are expensive. $8-14 each.
Judy

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 12:17am
post #25 of 32

I tried the dowel rod construction once and only once. It was just a complete mess AND I followed the instructions. I do have a question about the size of the final dowel rod to hold all the tiers together. What is the maximum height of cake or maximum tiers you can have before a dowel just isn't long enough to go through all tiers? I just use what I learned in a wedding cake construction class. This is how I stack my tiered cakes:

I have the hidden plastic pillars by Wilton. I also have the separator plates. I trimed the slanted part the feet on the bottom of all my separator plates so they will fit into the hidden plastic pillars. When I bake my cakes I place them on their respective cardboard circles. Next, I use non-stringy hot glue on my separator plates and glue the cakes on their respective cardboard circles to the plates. I then place the cakes, on their separator plates, into the hidden pillars already pushed into the bottom cake.

Does that make sense! I only had to do the measuring and cutting once and I have them ready to go the next time I need to do a stacked cake.

Amy

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 1:37am
post #26 of 32

Amy, that is a great idea!! That's what I've been thinking about doing, and I'm so glad it works for you! Thanks, because I just can't afford that stress-free system right now. I'm assuming that the hot glue peels off the separator plates when you're done? One question, though - since you trimmed the feet on your separator plates, doesn't that make them less stable when you want to do a pillar design?

Janzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janzcakes Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 2:09am
post #27 of 32

that sounds like a great idea. I really wanted to try something other than wooden dowels for stacking. I have a wedding in September and it is a 4 tier stacked cake. Will you be able to see any part of the separator plates once stacked? Also, are you using plastic dowels or hidden pillars or does it matter? Also, are you just using the 4 dowels that stick into the plate or are you adding more dowels in the centre of the cake or just into the cake in general? Sorry for all the questions but I really like this idea and want to get it right? I appreciate any more info, advice you can give icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 3:58am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by APCakes

Amy, that is a great idea!! That's what I've been thinking about doing, and I'm so glad it works for you! Thanks, because I just can't afford that stress-free system right now. I'm assuming that the hot glue peels off the separator plates when you're done? One question, though - since you trimmed the feet on your separator plates, doesn't that make them less stable when you want to do a pillar design?

The hot glue does come off. You do have to work at it a bit but it will come off! I have not done a pillar design yet. All my cakes have so far been stacked. I suppose I would just have another set. I would have to buy those with a 40% off coupon from JoAnns or Michael's though.

One more note. Keep the hot glue to the center of the separator plate and it doesn't take much!

Amy

cakemommy Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 4:12am
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janzcakes

that sounds like a great idea. I really wanted to try something other than wooden dowels for stacking. I have a wedding in September and it is a 4 tier stacked cake. Will you be able to see any part of the separator plates once stacked? Also, are you using plastic dowels or hidden pillars or does it matter? Also, are you just using the 4 dowels that stick into the plate or are you adding more dowels in the centre of the cake or just into the cake in general? Sorry for all the questions but I really like this idea and want to get it right? I appreciate any more info, advice you can give icon_smile.gif

I use the "hidden" pillars by Wilton. I only use the four "hidden" pillars in each tier. I imprint the separator plate on the tier I'm going to stack on and push my pillar in like normal. Before I do that though I measure and cut the "hidden" pillar to size so when I push it into my cake a very small portion of the top sticks out. I'm talking maybe 1/16 inch or smaller. This helps keep the top layer from sticking and pulling off icing. I believe you could also dust with powder sugar that portion of cake as well. Place your cake on the appropriate size separator plate.

I used this method for my first wedding cake! Look in my pictures and it's the Cornelli Lace/ Swiss Dot cake! Even if a tiny bit of plate is showing, a border of some sort will cover it anyway. Just don't use the scalloped separator plates!

What I can do is take a picture of what I've done and put it on here so everyone can see what I'm talking about. Would that help?

Amy

Janzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janzcakes Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 4:30am
post #30 of 32

Thanks Amy, if you can a picture would be wonderful for us all to see. I'm not even sure I've seen separator plates here where I live without the scalloped edges. I have to look now. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%