Icing Lumpy With Crisco, Help!! Any Suggestions?

Decorating By acholloway Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 12:13pm by auntmamie

acholloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acholloway Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

My last few batches of icing have had small lumps in them. I am assuming this is from the "new" Crisco, which I hate, but am not sure. Just started happening in the last few weeks. I know it is not my sugar because I see the lumps before adding it. I have beat it really well, so that is not the problem either? I am using the same butter, the same flavorings, etc.

I have a wedding coming up in a couple of weeks to do, so I need suggestions for getting the lumps out, without having to pick them out. I made chocolate buttercream, and lumps were very noticeable.

HELP!!

Thanks,
Amanda

8 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 1:21am
post #2 of 9

Try beating it longer like (5 minutes). If that doesn't work try adding some heat.

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:40am
post #3 of 9

Try softening the shortening slightly in the microwave first, and then beating well before adding other ingredients?

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:03am
post #4 of 9

when you beat it what tool are you using on the mixer the paddle or the whip? I was having tons of problems with my icing and finally found the paddle attachment and its been a million times better...

acholloway Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:23am
post #5 of 9

Sorry I have taken so long to look at these comments. I did try using the whip attachment and that did help some. Have not tried heating it a little, will it give it a try though. Have a wedding coming up labor day weekend and will have to make chocolate icing, the last time I made it, the lumps were really bad.

Anyone else having this problem with the new Crisco?

Thanks,
Amanda

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:36am
post #6 of 9

My only suggestion is to try using the paddle with the crisco ONLY and cream that until it is soft and free of lumps first, before adding the other ingredients. Hopefully that will help.
Good luck.... icon_sad.gif

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:36am
post #7 of 9

I dont have an answer to your question but i have had problems with the "new" Crisco also. it has been slightly lumpy and been taken longer to crust and harder to smooth... i think i am going to try someone else suggestion i read in a different thread to try the generic brand in my local store and see if that is not better (should still have the trans fat). Maybe that might help you also...dont know. good luch though!

acholloway Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:47am
post #8 of 9

I am going to try the Wal-Mart brand shortening as soon as I can get a chance to get to the store. I just really, really, hate this new version of Crisco. Why did they have to go and mess up a good thing? We've lived for years, and our grandparents too, with the trans fat (lol), why can't they leave well enough alone? Just makes extra work for me when doing icing, arrgh!!

Thanks for the tips.
Amanda

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:13pm
post #9 of 9

I just did a cake using store brand crisco (with trans fat - checked the label) and got the same problem. I think part of the problem might be my mixer; I don't have a KA, I've got a sunbeam, that didn't come with anything but regular beaters found on a hand mixer. can't complain too much, it was a gift.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%