Would Flames Be Too Much??

Decorating By mqguffey Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 4:52am by RisqueBusiness

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 41

Here's my mock KISS cake. It really helped to do this, to determine the type and pillar size on each tier. But I'm wondering if I need something between the tiers? I was wondering about flames? KISS stuff seems to have flames on it. I could marble red, orange and yellow fondant and use a flame template and let it drape down the sides.

I'm hoping to find the pillars that don't require a lower plate. The plate is really going to stick out on the black cake.

For the guitar and faces I'm planning on tracing them onto edible paper with edible markers and transferring them to fondant.

I'm still in the planning stages, so any input or suggestions would be welcome!

P.S. This is for a rehearsal dinner and the couple wants something crazy and both love KISS. Picture the tiers covered in red, white and black fondant, with coordinating bands on the bottom of each cake with silver accents, including stars, dragees and spikes, like a spiked collar.
LL

40 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 41

What about some stand up flames maybe from royal icing or color flow done in flames that would stand/lean up against your pillars to hide them... you could lap them over each other just a little and go around the inside of your cake plates against the pillars... just a thought icon_smile.gif

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 41

I can't wait to see a pic of the finished product. IMO, flames are not too much - if the couple said "crazy", I would go all out! And flames are so much a part of KISS, it seems like you almost have to add some! Be sure to post a pic when you're done. From what you have on the mock cake, I'm sure it will be a hit!

monstersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monstersmom Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 41

Flames would be cool....KISS is all about flashy, glittery & rock n' roll.
I think some platform outrageous boots would be awesome too.

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 41

I like the idea of covering the pillars with flames! I think it will give it a more rock and roll look. You could do a away with the pillars and just do a stacked cake.
Go to this website www.charmcitycakes.com. Check out the fist of rock cake and the Gene Simmons cake in the Fun section.
These pictures don't really answer any of your questions, but I thought they were fun. Who knows they might give you some more ideas. Good luck! And please post the finished product.

Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 41

I would put some flames also. Cool cake. I know a BIG fan that would LOVE your cake. GREAT JOB!!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 41

Flames sound good. Also I want to throw out an idea, hope its not too much but can you make a tongue out of fondant and put on the tier that has the word KISS or if you trace an outline of tongue onto edible paper and put on fondant and put several pics around that tier I think that would be cool.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 41

I forgot to add this link. It shows the tongue but you could probably find other pics.

http://www.rockyear.com/pic_bands/desktop/kiss/2.jpg

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaker

Flames sound good. Also I want to throw out an idea, hope its not too much but can you make a tongue out of fondant and put on the tier that has the word KISS or if you trace an outline of tongue onto edible paper and put on fondant and put several pics around that tier I think that would be cool.

The tongue idea is awesome! The Gene Simmons cake on Charm citys website has a cool tongue.

momnzoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momnzoes Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 41

Go for it-- Flames, tongue-- I dont' think you could get too "over the top" with this one!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 41

Definitely, go with the flames! and the tongue...

Heck, Alton Brown has flames on his KA icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 41

Flames!!! thumbs_up.gif

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:40am
post #13 of 41

Flames,yeah, flames!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:44am
post #14 of 41

I vote for flames.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:48am
post #15 of 41

What a cool cake, can't wait to see the finished product!! And I also vote for FLAMES!!!!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:54am
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Heck, Alton Brown has flames on his KA icon_biggrin.gif

My DH LOVES that KA!!!

I think you should use marbled fondant-in yellow, orange, and red. That way the flames look like they are IN the cake. Then, cover the pillars with RI or chocolate transfer flames as well! What a great cake to do!!!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:56am
post #17 of 41

Lucky you with this project!

Flames are an absolute must here.

mqguffey Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 3:59am
post #18 of 41

Great minds think alike, mqdqueen! I did the marbled MMF tonight and it came out great! I cut big "flames" with the maple leaf cutter and small ones with the Wilton leaf cutter set. They look great! I'll be sure to post a picture.

I think Duff would be proud icon_smile.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:02am
post #19 of 41

very cool! I can't wait to see this one!

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:24am
post #20 of 41

Make sure you post the pics!! What a fun cake to make!!

kincaellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kincaellan Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 4:29am
post #21 of 41

I have a cake with blown sugar flames in my gallery if want to see how they look on a cake
www.kincaellan.com

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 7:06am
post #22 of 41

I vote for flames and the tongue also. Cannot wait to see photo of the finished cake.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 10:14am
post #23 of 41

what a fun cool cake...glad to see a bride and a groom go out of the norm icon_smile.gif Great cake..can't wait to see it finished! icon_smile.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:17pm
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqguffey

Great minds think alike, mqdqueen! I did the marbled MMF tonight and it came out great! I cut big "flames" with the maple leaf cutter and small ones with the Wilton leaf cutter set. They look great! I'll be sure to post a picture.

I think Duff would be proud icon_smile.gif

Hi, so what happened to your cake? I would love to see the finished product! I've been checking your gallery and haven't seen you cake. Cant' wait!!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:40pm
post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

I've been checking your gallery and haven't seen you cake. Cant' wait!!

Same here!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:45pm
post #26 of 41

I did not post in this thread...but I saved it so I could see the final product.

Let us see! Let us see!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 4:45pm
post #27 of 41

you can also spray paint the pillars and plates whatever color you want!

Just make sure you use NON TOXIC paints that are safe to paint baby furniture with!

mqguffey Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:07pm
post #28 of 41

It's done, it's done!! What do you think??

That is so sweet of y'all to remember my cake and check back. Thank you so much for your help.

Unfortunately I had to scrap the flames. They came out great, red and yellow and orange marbled fondant, but when I was setting the cake up OUTSIDE and in 100 PERCENT HUMIDITY, the poor things started sweating and were literally wet to the touch. I was scared to put them on the cake. I don't think they would have stood up at all.
LL
LL
LL

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:12pm
post #29 of 41

omg! that is awesome! did you mold the band members??? i love how the name of the band is incorporated into the wording on the cake. awesome! how was this idea created??

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:12pm
post #30 of 41

Fabulous! (Too bad about the flames, I sure understand high humidity and the havoc it can reap). The cake is wonderful just as it is. Great job!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%