To Dam...or Not To Dam...

Decorating By whtrbbt420 Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 4:58am by miriel

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 12

THAT is the question icon_biggrin.gif

I'm making my son an OU football helmet cake for his b-day saturday (BOOMER SOONER!) *sorry couldn't resist icon_redface.gif and I'm using the oreo filling from this site to fill it. Do I need to use a dam? I'm using buttercream not fondant on the helmet if that matters.

TIA!

11 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 12

I think you definitely need to dam! Especially if it's for a d#$% Boomer Sooner helmet--Go Huskers! Just had to do it!!! I'm a transplanted Husker living in Oklahoma--I bet your helmet will be great and I bet the Sooners would beat the Huskers (again) if they were scheduled to play!! Now back to caking--I've just had some bad experiences if I didn't dam before filling--are you going to do lots of carving after you fill?

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

I think you definitely need to dam! Especially if it's for a d#$% Boomer Sooner helmet--Go Huskers! Just had to do it!!! I'm a transplanted Husker living in Oklahoma--I bet your helmet will be great and I bet the Sooners would beat the Huskers (again) if they were scheduled to play!! Now back to caking--I've just had some bad experiences if I didn't dam before filling--are you going to do lots of carving after you fill?

LMBO! Cake & Football, whoda thought? lol. We've been having some rough times lately..penalties & all...Hopefully Stoops pulls us through like always!

I've done one helmet before before but I can't for the life of me remember if I dam'd or not...I don't think I did because I used a VERY firm peanut butter filling. The oreo filling is MUCH softer so I'm sure you're right.

And yes I will be carving, but it's not really that much. I'm using the sports ball pan.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 12

When in doubt-dam! That way you know you are covered!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 12

Dam, dam, dam!!!

Better safe than sloppy.

Good luck!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 12

what does it mean to dam the cake??
sorry for the intrusion

dodibug Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 12

To dam: Using a #12 tip or coupler without a tip and stiff buttercream icing, you pipe a dam of icing about 1/4 in inside on the top of a layer of cake then add your filling no higher than the level of the dam and then place the next layer of cake on. This prevents the filling from coming out the side of the cake and also compromising the structure of a tiered cake(sliding, etc) You must be careful not to overfill!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 12

to dam or not to dam
that is the question
whether 'tis nobler
to create impediments to leaky filling
or let it just bulge and squirt out

-----

what did the filling say when it hit a stiff wall of buttercream??

DAM!

dodibug Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 12

icon_lol.gif Doug, you silly boy! icon_lol.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 12

Doug you kill me!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Have you been joining the ladies in the other thread with the margaritas???

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 12

ALWAYS ALWAYS dam. I always dam. Why take a chance of oozing filling.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 4:58am
post #12 of 12

Dam! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%