Can You Substitute Fondant For Gumpaste?

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 2:45am by SueBuddy

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 5

I'm really frustrated right now. My only good cake decorating supply store closed and was bought out by another company. Well I went to purchase some gum paste. I really like the satin ice gum paste but this new company switched brands they sell ballina brand. And it's terrible. It's like using sticky marshmellows.

Anyway I have a huge bucket of fondant on hand and can't find the gumpaste I want so can I substitute and use the fondant instead. I need to make approximately 200 leaves and I want them dry. Once the fondant drys completely will it crake and break?

4 replies
kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 5

Fondant will dry crumbly, it doesn't have the strength of gumpaste. Can you get tylose, CMC or Gum tragacanth to add to your fondant? I use CMC and add 1/2 teaspoon for 250grams of fondant, it makes a great modelling paste / gumpaste.

HTH

Kelly

Emily1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emily1234 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 5

I am relatively new to cake decorating and the terminology. What is CMC that you add to fondant to make it harder?

Thank you!

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 5

It's Carboxy Methyl....something!

It's a synthetic substitute for gum tragacanth, but its cheaper and you can use the gumpaste straight away, whereas you're supposed to let the type made with gum trag 'rest' overnight for the gum in it to do its thing.

HTH

Kelly

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 2:45am
post #5 of 5

What type of fondant is it? I use fondant all the time, hardly ever use gumpaste. It doesn't always work the best for draping and some stuff but leaves should be no problem. I never have a problem with it breaking or cracking unless I try to use them before they are completely dry, and yes it takes quite a bit longer for it to dry than gumpaste, usually at least 24 hours depending on enviroment. If you can get Tylose had it to the fondant that will help to dry faster and harder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%