German Chocolate Cake Density

Decorating By chele Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 1:44pm by kjgjam22

chele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 2:49am
post #1 of 7

What should the density of a German Choc Cake be??? Should it be light and fluffy, should it be airy?? I just don't know. I made a practice one tonight just to see how it would come out, and it was kind of dry but not a bad dry. I personally thought it could be a little more moist. Please let me know what you guys think..

Thanks!!!

6 replies
cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 5:52am
post #2 of 7

This is not a real dense cake like pound. It is similar to devils food. The cake should be fairly moist, if you are using the pecan coconut frosting, it will probably be OK.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:08am
post #3 of 7

German chocolate cakes should be cake-like in texture, airy, tender but with enough bite not to dissolve into your mouth like cotton, a good bite. It really is the "milk chocolate" cake of the cake world, mostly due to the typical use of high quantities of milk and/or buttermilk, or best, a combo of both. Milk mutes flavors, as it does when making a cup of hot chocolate with milk in it.

The best German chocolate cakes are those that contain enough chocolate to rise above the muting effect of the milk, yet not to dark as to be a fudge-like chocolate cake.

chele Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks guys.. I think I have it right, I just wasn't sure...

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 7

The best and only german chocolate cake I've had was the one my mother makes. She uses the recipe on the german sweet chocolate box. And like the others said, the cake itself is moist, tender but firm. And in my opinion, the opinion of a few people I talked to at a baking class, it's the pecan coconut frosting that makes the cake. I would think if the frosting is good, and there's a lot, your cake will be ok. What my mother does, and I've never seen anyone else do it, she doesnt' just fill the layers of the cake, she also covers the sides of the cake with the frosting. The frosting makes the biggest difference.

chele Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 7

Maybe I will try that tonight the recipe off the German Sweet Choc Box. Thanks for they replies everyone...

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 7

basically a german chocolate cake can be made with any choc came you like. adapt it to how you want it. if you want an airy cake then use that. i dont think its set in stone the type of cake used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%