Emergency!!! - Camouflage Cake

Decorating By Tazalexis Updated 15 Jul 2005 , 4:42am by Tazalexis

Tazalexis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tazalexis Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 16

I need help and I need it fast!! I have to make a camouflage cake by Friday 7/15 - I don't know where to start. i just know I'm going to do a sheet cake. How do i get the colors in!! help. I saw a Survivor Camouflage cake in the gallery and I can't remember where it was - it was from msbask. I'm new to this and have no idea how to locate a specific pic or a person who has pics in the gallery .If anyone knows or if you have any ideas on how to do this, pleas inform me asap!! You are free to send a PM!!!!

15 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 16

here is one
by a member of Cakecentral. Her name is AimeeA
Very cute
LL

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 16

Is this the cake you saw, PM the person and maybe she can get back to you.

it was under them cakes - military

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=59&pos=6

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 16

Here is mbask's photos... scroll to the bottom for the survivor cake. HTH!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-msbask.html

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tazalexis Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 16

WOW You guys are the best, yes the survivor cake is the one i was searching for. I didn't expect a reply this quickly!!! I sent her a email yesterday and i didn't hear from her. I was trying to get tips on how to do the camouflage part. If anyone knows, I'm all ears. You guys are the best!!!!!

PS - What did u type in to find the ppics so easily?? Where did u go?? I tried a search but it won't allow me to open the pictures when they pop up!! They just say there is no search string available!!! Please pass info along!!

smileyface Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 3:44am
post #8 of 16

Here is the info that Lisa posted for how to look up cakes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Hi KimAZ...to look at the larger pic, right click on the thumbnail and click Properties. Copy and paste the URL into your browser. Like this...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10026/thumb_Pooh_Book.jpg

Then delete thumb_ from the URL

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10026/Pooh_Book.jpg

To view the member's cake pics, paste thier user name where this link reads cjf

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-cjf.html

You'll also be able to view their profile by clicking on one of their photos and then on their user name.

To search for members by location, click on Memberlist above under the Forums title. Then select sort method by location.

smileyface Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 3:49am
post #9 of 16

Oh yeah, I haven't done any camouflage cake but looking at the one you like it seems to me that it was just done using three different shades of icing piped onto the cake. I would think after you let it crust over, you would use a viva (or similar non pattern paper towel) to smooth out the lines from piping.

I know I have done it with different colors but have not done the whole cake this way. Hopefully someone who has done that camouflage before can help you.

Good Luck!

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 4:24am
post #10 of 16

I did a cake w/ camo on the sides and I was going to smooth it out w/ paper towels but my dear hubby thought the texture looked good the way it was, said it was more like real camo. I too love the camo "survior" cake, the color combination is much better than mine.

Tazalexis Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 16

thanks to evryone for their halpfull hints! I will take them all into consideration.
Lisa and Smileyface, thanks for showing me how to get the links

DesignsbyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyD Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 7:31pm
post #12 of 16

Hi

I just wanted to send you a reply about doing a search. When I first started on CC I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't find anything. If you use the search on the home page it says no thread found, but if you click on galleries tab, then click search at the top of the page and type military cakes the whole bunch will show up. I have to do the same thing in the forums I can not search with the homepage seach. Help this helps
Denise
Good Luck with the cake

DesignsbyD Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 16

Ok Now I am getting no search string attached I will post in technical forum...sorry I couldn't help

DesignsbyD Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 16

This is a glitch that Jackie is working on. Until it's fixed, you can view the full size image by right clicking on the thumbnail and selecting properties. Copy and paste the URL into your browser. Delete thumb_ from the URL.

I just found this under tech support......This should help icon_smile.gif

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 4:23am
post #15 of 16

I WISH I had my picture back so I could show you the cake I made for dh's birthday icon_sad.gif I was having trouble searching for a camou cake too, so what I did was just search for plain ol' camouflage on the internet, and found some party plates & napkins that had the pattern on it, and I just copied that pattern, using tip 3, 4 or 5, outlined the shapes and filled them in, smoothing it a bit with my spatula.

I did four colors, one almost black, one brown, one army green, and one a darker shade of the army green. I used the juniper green to get the shade.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Tazalexis Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 4:42am
post #16 of 16

DesignsbyD & Melissa - Thank you both. The cake is in the oven now!! will post pics (even if I mess it up) thanks. Will keep everyone posted. I love this site becuase the support you get from others is awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%