Star Burst Candy Roses

Decorating By cookinqueen Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm by playingwithsugar

cookinqueen Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 11

I saw some pictures on here the other day of some roses that were made out of melted star burst candy. Does any one know how to make these. I tried them last night and my not sure what i did wrong, but once i melted the candy i spread it out on wax paper to cut the circle and well it was too soft and it stuck to the paper. Any help would be great!! Thanks

10 replies
CakeBaker Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 11

hmmm . . . I've made roses with those little individually wrapped caramels before. But I didn't melt them, just work them a little to get them plyable and roll 'em out.

eatdessert1st Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 11

Maybe just soften them up in the microwave for a few seconds to make them pliable then run them through your pasta machine or roll it really thin. That's a great idea for tasty roses!

RitzyFritz Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 11

I made these, and I definitely didn't melt them. I just put in the micro for about 4 seconds (just enough to get them pliable) and then proceeded to make each part. HTH!!

cupcakemkr Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 11

I just made them 2 days ago for my cupcakes. They are sticky to work with but I just sprayed a very little bit of cooking spray on my rolling pin and surface and rolled the squares out right onto my kitchen counter - no heating involved. You could microwave, for 4 seconds max, to make a bit softer to roll but I think it would make them even more sticky to work with.
LL
LL

ncbert Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 11
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 11

You can make roses out of bubble gum too, if you have a pasta roller to thin it out enough.

armywifebryan Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 11

that is so cool. i am going to have to try this one my next birthday cake for the kids!!!! My girls LOVE when I make fondant/gumpaste roses, but they hate how they taste! I bet they will love these! Not sure how many will actually make it to the cake though.....I love tootsie rolls icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for showing!

RitzyFritz Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 11

I have a close up photo of a starburst rose in my photos (but understand this was done while riding in the car on vacation and wasn't done with tools or anything). They could be made much better when working with tools, rolling thinner, etc.

It was fun even without the tools! icon_smile.gif

I also have a ganache-covered cake with tootsie roll roses on it (these were done in a huge hurry and didn't turn out as well either). Even though they weren't the best workmanship, they were a lot of fun and much more tastier than gumpaste/fondant. icon_smile.gif

mommy2djb Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #10 of 11

This is SOOO cool! I can't wait to try it!

playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 11

One mistake you made was using waxed paper. The wax on the paper will definitely melt in the microwave.

As stated before, you only warm them long enough to make them pliable.

Most of those candies will stay pliable after heating because they will absorb the heat from your hands.

Make sure that your hands are completely clean before handling the candy, especially lighter colors. Just like rolled fondant and gumpaste, it will pick up any traces of dirt or oil in your hands, and get streaky from it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%