diane Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 7:15pm
post #1 of

does anyone know what to use to make shoelaces? i am making a cake with a military boot on it and want to add shoelaces to it, but was wondering what i could use for the shoelace. anyone have any ideas??

10 replies
niki_10 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 7:18pm
post #2 of

Licorice strings would work. You could get red or black.

gma1956 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 7:22pm
post #3 of

Try black licorice strings. I am not sure where you can get it now days though. You use to see it all the time. Maybe try online.

KATE39 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 7:24pm
post #4 of

Try getting the licorice strings in a candy store like in a mall or one of those specialty shops. Good luck!

diane Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 7:24pm
post #5 of

licorice strings are a great idea, but since i am in italy and have only the military base exchange, i probably won't be able to find any, and this cake is needed by friday.

alracntna Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 9:09pm
post #6 of

use fondant. you can roll it in the shape of the strings and place them in the spots where needed.

aupekkle Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 9:12pm
post #7 of

If you have a clay gun, you can extrude out some shoelaces with candy clay or fondant.

aunt-judy Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 9:20pm
post #8 of

if this is a 3-D cake where you're actually lacing up the shoe (passing the shoelace through eyelets) why not use food-safe ribbon?

if you're unable to find licorice shoelace candy (which would be my first choice and suggestion), then using a thin black ribbon would be my logical alternative. of course, if it's not a 3-D cake, then you can just pipe shoelaces. icon_smile.gif

littlebubbieschocolates Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 9:49pm
post #9 of

u could use a garlic press

peacockplace Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 10:02pm

For my 3D guitar I just piped it on... it worked really well. I used a garlic press to do the tassles on my grad cake, but the only problem I have with that is that is't hard to make it long enough using a garlic press.

gma1956 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 10:06pm

I agree peacockplace it is very hard to make a long piece and keep it in one piece. I would just use a ribbon or string as aunt-judy
suggested or as peacockplace and aunt-judy suggested pipe them on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%