Smoothing Fbcts?

Decorating By KittyPTerror Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 5:06am by tobycat

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:07am
post #1 of 23

Does anyone have any tips for how to do this well? I've tried gently smushing them before they're frozen, after they're frozen, and when they're on the cake, but especially in the filled-in areas, you can still see the lines where I've piped. Also, any tips for getting it smooth once it's on the top of the cake? Should I just make a huge one that covers the whole top of the cake so at least it's even?

22 replies
aggiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiecakes Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:13am
post #2 of 23

I have the same problem. I can see every line in my FBCT attempts.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:21am
post #3 of 23

Nope - I've never gotten one completely smooth. But ya know what? Nobody will ever notice!!! They're just so amazed that you did the design in icing that the rest is just gravy. icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:21am
post #4 of 23

What's a FBCT? I probably have lines in mine as well.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:23am
post #5 of 23

I've really gotten down a system for the fbct -- check out my pics for some.

Here are some tips:

* If the cake is small enough, do the entire top as an fbct.

* Don't just pipe the lines - push the tip down into the icing so that it almost touches the front. Then move the tip so that you're actually pushing the icing around as it comes out, instead of just letting the icing pipe out lines. You'll have much fewer marks of any kind this way.

* You will have air holes with the above method, but you can use a toothpick to smoosh the icing around a bit (lift up so you can see the front and where you need to do this). OR, you can use your spatula knife and lightly pat/push down on the back. Both ways work for me.

* I now only use high ratio shortening. It holds together so much better I can't even know how I lived without it.

* After the fbct is on the cake, take a #1 tip and fill in any areas oh so lightly. Use a paint brush to smooth it out.

I can get more detailed if you like, but I don't know how much more you need. Just pm me if you want.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

S.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:45am
post #6 of 23

this is very helpful and I hope others have more hints, I am still struggling with this techniques.

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:57am
post #7 of 23

You already got some great advice from Sonoma, but I have a couple of other suggestions to add.

-I normally cover the whole cake with my transfer (even did a full sheet cake once), it just makes it look so much nicer.
-I hate the lines too, I do my FBCT like Sonoma, although when I get done (before I put the final coat on the back) I take my Melvira roller and roller the whole transfer. Then I put on the buttercream coat and roller again. I don't have to worry about lines at all anymore.
-Once I stick the FBCT I use my Melvria roller again to roller the whole transfer onto the cake, this helps it to stick as well as smoothing it out nice and flat.

I hope this helps, I have some good examples in my photos.

lorrieg Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 10:29am
post #8 of 23

I really would like to know what fbct is. I'm learning most of the shortcuts here but this one has me stumped. icon_confused.gif

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 10:45am
post #9 of 23

I always make sure the outline icing is firm and my filling icing is very "loose." Thin isn't quite the word I'm looking for. I whip the filling-in icing more so that it is fluffier, lighter. I use plexi glass so that when I'm done I can peel off the coloring page and see the other side. You can get a small piece from scrap at a very reasonable price from most hardware stores. I over coat the whole thing with the main icing color of the cake and then start pushing and smoothing. Look through the glass, spot some lines, push and smooth some more. Usually my design takes up the entire cake, so I usually do flip over a cake sized transfer. Because of that, I let mine freeze completely.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 11:25am
post #10 of 23

I also found that if I use a bigger tip, say 3-5, I don't have as many lines/squiggles. After I have place my FBCT, I will let it crust and smooth just as I would any other cake.

lorrieg,
Here is a link to FBCT.
http://cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

darkchocolate

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

I really would like to know what fbct is. I'm learning most of the shortcuts here but this one has me stumped. icon_confused.gif

Frozen Buttercream Transfer.

KittyPTerror Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 23

Thanks so much, ya'll! I'm gonna do one later today and I'll let you know how it comes out!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 12:01am
post #13 of 23

I use the receipe with the tutorial, but I don't think mine crusted the last time. So I could not use the roller, it just wanted to stick to my roller. We usually have alot of humidity does that make a difference in buttercream crusting?

lorrieg Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:02am
post #14 of 23

Thanks Shaina! I haven't tried one yet but they look interesting. Bet I'll still get lines the first few times. These tips here sound great.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:22am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

* Don't just pipe the lines - push the tip down into the icing so that it almost touches the front. Then move the tip so that you're actually pushing the icing around as it comes out, instead of just letting the icing pipe out lines. You'll have much fewer marks of any kind this way.

I fully agree with this advice. When you keep your tip buried you don't have as many as the piped line marks left on the front.

tobycat Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 5:02am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbitfroggie

You already got some great advice from Sonoma, but I have a couple of other suggestions to add.

-I normally cover the whole cake with my transfer (even did a full sheet cake once), it just makes it look so much nicer.
-I hate the lines too, I do my FBCT like Sonoma, although when I get done (before I put the final coat on the back) I take my Melvira roller and roller the whole transfer. Then I put on the buttercream coat and roller again. I don't have to worry about lines at all anymore.
-Once I stick the FBCT I use my Melvria roller again to roller the whole transfer onto the cake, this helps it to stick as well as smoothing it out nice and flat.

I hope this helps, I have some good examples in my photos.

This is what I do but without the roller (still need to try that!) I just juse the spatula knife. Once the bc has crusted a bit, it's easy to do. BUT -- just remember not to push too hard or you'll smear the image on the front.

Here are some other tips:

* Use chocolate bc colored with black for the outline. You only need a little black, instead of the mass amounts with the white, and the consistency is so much better.

* I agree about letting the outline dry a bit before putting in the filling.

* I always trace the image onto wax paper. For some reason, I'm able to trace it better that way. (Instead of just trying to trace if from the picture itself.

* Have all your icings colored and ready to go when you get started. When I have a lot of colors, I like to use plastic clear bags (Wilton disposables are good) or I mark the parchment traingle bags I make, so that I can get to the next color super fast. (I can't stand making all the colors! WIsh the icing fairie would come!)

*Avoid chilling for more than 90 minutes or it may crack.

Okay, I'll put more in if I can think of them!

HTH -- S.

KittyPTerror Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:14am
post #17 of 23

Thanks so much for all your advice! This one definitely came out with fewer "lines." This is a practice that I did for a cake I'm supposed to do for my MIL next week...I think when I do the real one I'm gonna trace around the black outline again after I put the transfer on...And please ignore the crappy border!
LL

mariannedavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariannedavis Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 2:31am
post #18 of 23

Kitty, that Elvis is great! I'm still working on the fbct...grrrrr. I know it'll just take more practice. --Marianne

KittyPTerror Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:32am
post #19 of 23

Thanks! Honestly, I think it looks better in the picture than it did in person, though!

I think the biggest thing about FBCTs is the frosting you use! A long, long time ago (Read: last year when I started doing this) I tried to use CANNED FROSTING (oh, Cake Gods, please forgive me!) for my first FBCT. First of all: yuck. Second of all: Huge, sticky, cold, gummy mess thatglommed on to the wax paper like nobody's business. After that, I've considered the other ones I've done not too bad!

lorrieg Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:07pm
post #20 of 23

Elvis is great!! I'm going to try this for sure. I have a cake to do for next weekend and the boy wanted Transformers. I bought a transfer. I should have tried ftbc. Next time. icon_smile.gif

lorrieg Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:09pm
post #21 of 23

That should have been FBCT. I'm a tad dyslexic. Now you can see why I couldn't guess what the initals meant. icon_confused.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:36pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPTerror

I think the biggest thing about FBCTs is the frosting you use! A long, long time ago (Read: last year when I started doing this) I tried to use CANNED FROSTING (oh, Cake Gods, please forgive me!) for my first FBCT. First of all: yuck. Second of all: Huge, sticky, cold, gummy mess thatglommed on to the wax paper like nobody's business. After that, I've considered the other ones I've done not too bad!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I have done a lot of them as well, did one last night I'll have to post after I get a picture of it. This is my favorite one so far!
LL

tobycat Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:06am
post #23 of 23

Terrific job on your Elvis! Can't wait to see the final version!

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%