Royal Icing....need Some Info

Decorating By bradleycake Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm by gateaux

bradleycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradleycake Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:04am
post #1 of 16

I have a royal icing recipe that is made with pasteurized egg whites, powdered sugar and lemon juice. I have two questions....

1. Once you make the decorations with this icing, how long do they remain edible if left at room temperature? I keep reading about how this icing needs to be refrigerated and I am a little confused.

2. If you are using this type of icing for sugar cookies, do they have to be refrigerated once they have dried?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

15 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:06am
post #2 of 16

Royal icing absolutely should NOT be refrigerated. There's way too much humidity in refrigerators that will soften the icing. In fact, RI will keep nearly forever in a shoe box. Decorated cookies should be kept in an airtight container for the benefit of the cookies.

bradleycake Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 16

How long can the icing sit out at room temperature after it is made?

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 16

You can use RI flowers for a long time, in fact I know people who have used flowers that were at least a year old and there was nothing wrong with them.

By the way alimonkey were you saying that the RI should not be refrigerated after it has been made into somthing or that it should not be refridgerated at all period? The reason I ask is because my Wilton teacher told me that you should always refridgerate it until it has been used up.

Deborah

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 16

You would only refridgerate until you use it to make flowers or whatever it is you're making.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 16

I was told to leave RI in an air tight container on the counter--not to put it in the refrigerator. (The one time I put mine in the refrigerator, it became way too soft.) RI will keep on the counter in an air tight container for about two weeks. It may keep longer, but I've usually used it up by then.

The flowers do seem to keep forever, like some candies (like Sweet Tarts or Smarties) will keep.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 16

I was referring to dried & hardened RI decorations, but for that matter, I never refrigerate my royal icing before decorating, either. It might be a different story if I was using unpasteurized egg whites rather than meringue powder, but there is so little water and so much sugar that I don't think spoilage is an issue.

To store unused royal, I keep it in a glass mason jar with plastic wrap under the lid. I've pulled it out after a couple of months and although I couldn't probably couldn't make flowers from it, I am able to use it for piped lines, flower centers, glue, etc.

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 16

My wilton teacher said RI was the same as the stuff you buy in the grocery sores, you know the pre-made lettering and stuff. Who knows how long that stuff stays around.

Karenl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenl Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 16

But, RI made with meringue powder doesn't keep indefinitely, in the right conditions it will grow mold. Trust me.

bradleycake Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 16

So the bottom line is...once it is made into flowers it will keep at room temperature for a long time. Do most of you use the meringue powder or pasteurized egg whites?

Karenl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenl Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 16

meringue powder for me

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 16

The only thing with RI is that you wp hiill have to re-whip often, some places say you have to use Meringue powder or egg white powder in order for it to be edible, especially for resale.

Once the RI drys even if its in the mixing bowl, you cannot fix it, so keep it tighly closed and covered with a very damp rag when not closed with a lid. Also remember that the color will lighten with age as oppose to buttercream which darkens.

Good Luck!

Daisys_Cakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 16

Meringue powder as well.

bradleycake Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 16

The reason I wonder about this is because I am a home baker. I do about 3 cakes a month because I work full time. I have been debating ordering flowers to save time but the shipping gets expensive. I can make them on my own, but a batch of royal icing makes a ton of flowers. If I knew they would keep for at least a year, I could take a like a Sunday and make flowers just to have around icon_smile.gif. I think the royal icing flowers look nicer than the buttercream ones.

Daisys_Cakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:29pm
post #15 of 16

Go head and make them ahead of time my sister sells cakes and like I said uses RI flower that are at least a year old.

Deborah

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #16 of 16

There are also all kinds of other decorations you can make ahead of time. Or you can just practice.

I often make scrolls and then when I am in a pinch I use a few.

you could also make Easter or Christmas decorations ahead of time as well as decorate sugar cubes. It's good to practice on big and small things. You just need the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%