Question For Those Who Rent Kitchen Space And Getting Licens

Business By 1234me Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm by SweetConfectionsChef

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:04am
post #1 of 6

ok, I know someone who will rent a kitchen to me. Do I have to be licensed if they already hold a license? How do inspections work? Do I need to have a seperate inspection than they do?

5 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:26am
post #2 of 6

hate to sound like a broken record, but you have to ask your state health department. in ohio i asked them, and i don't have to have a separate inspection. my biz is licensed because the facility is already licensed. but who knows what it will be like in your state?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:37am
post #3 of 6

Unless the owner of the kitchen will allow you to work "under" their license and assume all liability for you, you will need your own license.

beccakelly is right, you need to call your county's health department and ask them exactly what you need to do. They have all the answers! icon_smile.gif

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 6

I don't know how the other states work, but here in MN.. the kitchen itself is licensed under department of of - as a caker baker/decorator renting that kitchen, *I* have to be licensed under department of agriculture. Well, the kitchen is licensed and tied to my name somehow.

My inspection's not till next week, but I'll post details when I know em!

lisap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisap Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 6

In Delaware I have to have my own license from the Dept. of Health even though the kitchen is already licensed to the other group that I rent it from.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 6

In Harris County Texas the kitchen establishment is licensed....not the individual. That being said....the kitchen can't be operated unless a licensed food manager is on premis. So, you have to get a food manager license which is a free one day course offered by the HD and it lasts either 7 or 10 years.

edited to add: If you aren't getting anywhere with people on the phone ask to talk to an actual inspector...they know what they are talking about!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%