Calling All Home Based Businesses

Business By sarajohnson Updated 17 Oct 2006 , 6:18am by TPDC

sarajohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarajohnson Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

I want to start my own home based business, in minnesota. I know all laws are different every state, but how do you all do it? Do you have seperate stoves for baking your cakes by law? How much does it cost to start?

4 replies
cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 5

Sara,

I suggest you look at the business forum on this site. There are many threads on the topic of running a business from your home. Bottom line is that most states don't allow it and require you to use a commercial kitchen but a lot of people do it from home anyway.

Lynz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynz Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 5

Sara~

Don't be discouraged if your state doesn't allow this kind of home based business. Many counties have "Acceptions" that allow cake businesses. Your best bet would be to call your county health dept and they will tell you if your county has an exception.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 5

Minnesota is VERY strict about food laws, you can't even bring cupcakes in to school for your child's birthday unless they were bought and are brought in still sealed. Bake sales have to have food that is made in an approved kitchen, they can't have parents contribute things.
I don't live there right now but my parents do and I spent several years there when I was in school.
The way I understand Minnesota law there are no exceptions, you have to have a seperate kitchen to sell. Different towns and counties would have different rules about whether you can put a second kitchen in your house and have that inspected.

It's possible that there is a loop hole but I don't know of ANY and my mom was involved in bake sales for my sisters' school for several years, they always had to do any baking in the church where the school was.

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%