My 1St Carved Cake Is Done! Thank Goodness!!

Decorating By jeffer01 Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 12:53am by jeffer01

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif I am done!! I lived through my 1st carved cowgirl boot cake and I have survived!!! Thanks to those who gave inspiration and advice!!!

I am glad I said yes to the order, it was good practice!! I'm so glad my bc was halfway smooth!!! That worried me! So, now I have a little more confidence to say yes to something else icon_lol.gif

Did I undercharge though, because my DH says I did. Carved from 9x13 scratch white cake with strawberry bc filling and vanilla/almond bc icing...charged $30.00.....what do you think?

(thanks to aileen and designsbydelights for your gallery pics, I took huge inspiration from you both!!!! thumbs_up.gif )
LL

7 replies
brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 8

I think it is totally cute!

jeffer01 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:01am
post #3 of 8

Thanks brnrvlr! I was so scared that I couldn't do it...without the cake crumbling apart and having crumbs ALL in the icing...but it worked out!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:10am
post #4 of 8

Your cake is wonderful & yes, you grossly undercharged, that cake should have been at least $75.00.

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:19am
post #5 of 8

You did a great job. The cake is very cute.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:33am
post #6 of 8

Fabulous!!!! You go girl icon_lol.gif Your bc looks perfect thumbs_up.gif K'ly

Barbiebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbiebb Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:37am
post #7 of 8

Your cowboy boot cake was wonderful. As for your charge of $30, how many servings were there? It make a lot of difference as to how much the cake cost you to make, and how long did it take you to decorate it? Did you feel cheated when you received only $30 for it, or did it give you a lot of satisfaction? I can guarantee, if you keep the price down when you first start making cakes for other people, you'll get repeat business,and then some.

jeffer01 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:53am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of the good words and encouragement! Your kindness makes me smile!! icon_redface.gif

Not including the mixing, measuring, baking, icing making, etc.....just the decorating took 3.5 hours roughly. Servings would be about 25 to 30, depending on your cutting size.

I was happy for the practice and happy to be paid, but the time and ingredients did add up and I think that is why my DH said I undercharged. But I am hoping this leads to more business...especially since this customer was from word of mouth. Yea!!!!!!

KlyKat I LOVE your avatar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%