Copyright Question

Business By BrandyR Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 11:00pm by Sugarflowers

BrandyR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandyR Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 2

I'm so confused by this copyright law. I have been on some many websites where they sell character cakes. I guess my question is can you make edible images or put figurines on the cakes. i'm really confused on how to go about this without getting in trouble any information would help alot Thanks in advance

1 reply
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 2

Designs on cakes based on TRADEMARKED characters is what causes many people problems. The owners of these characters or logos, etc., do not like anyone using their designs without paying for them even if they paid for the product, the buyer is not to be able to make any money with it. A few companies don't care, but some, such as Disney will prosecute. The fine is hefty and there is possible jail time.

Making cakes with trademarked characters usually doesn't cause a problem if you are making them for family and friends. If you receive "tips" for the effort, then it's a little harder for the companies to consider you making money on their products.

Copyright laws refer to any literary work (poems, books, instructions, songs, videos, etc.). Titles, phrases, lists, and commonly used words are not protected by copyright law. Copyright infringement can also come with a hefty fine. Information is available about copyright laws at www.copyright.gov. You will get more information than you can possibly imagine. Forms are also available for anyone who wants to put an official copyright onto their own original work. The copyright symbol with your name and date will also serve as a non-registered copyright.

I'm sorry for such a long explanation, but there seem to be so many questions about it that I thought I would elaborate. Those who decide to post their cakes with trademarked or copyrighted material on their web sites are in danger of being reported.

Again, making these type of cakes for family and friends is not likely to get you into any trouble.

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%