To Anyone Who Rents From A Church

Business By lauramw71 Updated 27 Mar 2013 , 10:13pm by embersmom

lauramw71 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 19

Well, I've been looking into becoming legal. I talked to a person from SCORE and he recommended me renting out a church kitchen to start out.
I was thinking of doing more cookies and other baked stuff rather than focusing strictly on decorating cakes since my skills in that area are just plain BAD. LOL My question is, what do you usually pay to rent a space? I have NO idea about doing this and am worried that I'll pay MORE in rent than I would make in profit. I havent taken sanitation classes or anything else to become legal, as this is all just in the thoughts stage. Any information anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
mccakes Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 19

I have not officially become legal yet but just recently went to my church to look into renting space. They have a chef who does special events and Wednesday night suppers and some catering jobs. He doesn't like the "baking" part of the job so we are working on a trade system. I do some baking for him for time in the kitchen. Maybe you could do something like that...HTH

sweetbaker Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 19

I'd like to start selling but I definitely don't want to spend too much on renting and not making a profit. But I plan to talk to a few churches and ask to rent on an "as needed basis". I've also thought about offering a price of $10 per hour. I even thought about offering cake or cookies (for any special events they may have) in exchange for using their kitchen. But, I'm sure it will depend on each individual church. Also, you may have to have your own liability insurance for your protection but I'm not for sure; I need to check into that also. Hope this helps.

lauramw71 Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 19

Thanks for the responses! Im just trying to figure out if it would actually be worth it. I dont do wedding cakes (too chicken to try LOL) and think that is actually where the money is. Im thnking after supplies, time, and rental costs im not doing anything more than gettin outta the house for a couple hours. LOL

berryblondeboys Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 19

I have to agree with you. My husband thinks I earn too little when I can use my own private kitchen and licensing fee is only $30 a year!! If I had to pay rental space, I'm working for free. that's not even taking into account schlepping all my stuff back and forth and the extra work that would take...

I really, really do wonder how much of these rules are health and safety driven - genuine concern, or bigger businesses trying to control at home bakers. There is very little danger in getting sick off a cake that doesn't need refrigeration or cookies - come on. In VA you can't use raw eggs , but I don't use them anyway because they just aren't safe for anyone and I STILL only use organic cage free eggs.

Good luck to you - maybe the church would let you use it for free? I know mine would if we had a kitchen, but we rent space from an elementary school (Ethical Society).


coolmom Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 19

When you use a church kitchen do you, the baker, have to be licensed or just the kitchen? How does that work?

coolmom Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 19

Just giving my question a little bump! icon_biggrin.gif

spottydog Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 19

In Mass you or someone on the grounds need a serve safe requirement corse certificate. You may want to check into your state guidelines

smbegg Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 19

I believe that you both need to be lisenced. And from what I have read, not all church kitchens are licensed the same way, so you have to check on that and have the kitchen inspected.


fmcmulle Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 19

I agree, I think it varies by state. Alot of what I have read is that both have to be licensed. Not all churches are, my mom's church couldn't because the kitchen's exhaust system didn't lead to the outside so they told them the stove had to go. I am in the process of looking up all the churches in the area. I also have a friend that is a fire chief, I will ask him the next time I see him. SO maybe I can shed some light on all of this.

Dizzymaiden Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 19
Originally Posted by spottydog

In Mass you or someone on the grounds need a serve safe requirement corse certificate. You may want to check into your state guidelines

Thanks for this info. I live in western MA and wondered about the rules. (I lived in Plymouth most of my life). I visited your blog and WOW. Do you ever have courses? I do mostly freelance work and take classes when I can.

sweetviolent Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:10pm
post #12 of 19

in my county in NY you would have to but a liscence @279.00 a yera and then the kitchen you are using would have to be re-inspected.

it varies by and is administered by the county in NY I believe but this applies to "taking orders"

if I baked and decorated cakes and sold them at the local farmers market that would fall under a different agency and i could do that as long as I am not taking orders.

oh and..... you probably should carry liability insurance as well

dollyo Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 19

I work at a church and we require insurance riders for anyone using our facility.

bethola Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 19

I use my church kitchen, at no cost. However, I do make shower/celebration cakes for the church at no cost and donate to all the bake sales. In my area, the kitchen only has to be certified. Our church is inspected regularly so there is no problem. I think the hourly rental sounds fair if the "barter system" cannot be utilized.

mkolmar Posted 17 Oct 2006 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 19

I'm in the process of becoming legal through my church's kitchen. We agreed that I would pay a small % of each. cake made. The church really doesn't care how much that % is, just as long as I help them with the added costs of me being there.

scastro Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 10:26pm
post #16 of 19

I would like to ask, if anyone can help me on how can I approach and ask the church responsable about renting the kitchen? Who should I talk to? What do you basically say? Do you believe they are used to this kind of request? or they migh belive I'am crazy?!!

Thanks for your help!

mkolmar Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:36pm
post #17 of 19

I had to talk to the board of deacons to ask at their monthly meeting. I brought a cake along too for a little added push in my way icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

havealittle Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 5:19am
post #18 of 19
Originally Posted by mkolmar 

I had to talk to the board of deacons to ask at their monthly meeting. I brought a cake along too for a little added push in my way icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif


How did it go? I know this is an old post....I was just curious...I am working on looking for a kitchen to rent. Right now I am driving 3 hour round trip to the kitchen I rent.....

embersmom Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 10:13pm
post #19 of 19

I thought about renting a local church kitchen back when I visited the idea of having my own sideline business.  A couple of churches refused me right off the bat because I wasn't a member.  My childhood parish refused me because they had a policy of refusing everybody (evidently I wasn't the only who had ever asked).  I do think, however that my living in a major metropolitan area may have something to do it too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%