Yucky Crisco?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 17 Nov 2006 , 11:43pm by meghabyte

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 1:53am
post #1 of 16

I must either have bad luck, or an oversensitive taster...but every so often I get a batch of Crisco that makes my icing taste like chemicals! Do any of you experience this? Crisco does not sit around my house for long...it's icky when brand new. I just got a large one at Sams...the exp date is not till 2008...but I can definately taste a chemically aftertaste in my icing! I used it for a cake two weeks ago and I made a batch tonight to fill and crumb coat a cake...but I think I'm just going to have to buy a new one before I decorate the cake tomorrow (hate to decorate last minute, they are picking it up at 5pm, but I can't handle that taste!).

I'm getting sick of it because there's really no competition for Crisco and I don't want to buy a whole huge box of Sweetex....

15 replies
SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 1:57am
post #2 of 16

Well, I havent exactly experienced a "chemical" taste per say...
but i do hate crisco which is why i dont use it. It lingers in your mouth a bit too long for my liking. Just say NO to crisco! icon_smile.gif

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:03am
post #3 of 16

So if you dont use Crisco what do you use to decorate with if not Fondant or mmf?

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:14am
post #4 of 16

Do you live near any cake decorating stores? You can get small quantities of Sweetex at those place often.

Also, if you don't use Criso, you can make a cooked buttercream that's butter, eggs and sugar. (Which I'm actuall about to post a question about ... the cooked buttercreams vs. the shortening buttercreams).

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:28am
post #5 of 16

I have never found that a problem, but I would return the can and get another one!

Stephanie

CONFECTIONCONNECTION Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONCONNECTION Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:29am
post #6 of 16

Do you have anybody to split a box of Sweetex with? If not, I still think to put the initial $ out for the sweetex is hard to swallow BUT it will last you for quite sometime vs always running for Crisco. Good Luck

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:29am
post #7 of 16

Is Sweetex the same as a high ratio shortening?

CONFECTIONCONNECTION Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:30am
post #8 of 16

yes

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:41am
post #9 of 16

Well...like czyadgrl said.....I just make an all butter BC - crusting or not. Also, I really like to make swiss meringue bc.

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:49am
post #10 of 16

I haven't really experienced a chemically taste per say, but I have had some that's gotten a horrible smell and taste. It wasn't very old either. If you can, I'd go with the all butter or high ratio shortening as others have mentioned.

CONFECTIONCONNECTION Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:51am
post #11 of 16

PieceOfCake- howdy fellow Michigander......may I inquire about an all butter BC?- Isn't it very tempermental to work with in our every changing weather? It just seems like it would be too soft? Interested to hear also what recipe you use if you dont mind.

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 2:59am
post #12 of 16

I use the decorators buttercream recipe on here, except I use 1 1/2 cups of unsalted butter and 1/2 shortening. Gives it a light crust, but still has the good butter flavoring.

Kitagrl Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 3:48am
post #13 of 16

Well I already filled my cake with the not-so-good icing but I am going to buy a fresh thing of Crisco for tomorrow and hope its ok...I'll add extra butter flavor or something to try to hide the taste. I can't STAND it. My husband notices a little "different" taste to it but he doesn't think it tastes bad so hopefully the customer won't, either, especially if the outside icing is ok.

I guess I'll have to look into the sweetex thing....I'm about sick of wondering if the next can of Crisco is going to taste okay. icon_rolleyes.gif

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 16

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-51987-0.html

This is no coincidence....I have been calling the 1-800 # on the can of Crisco...and they are looking in to it. If more people complained they would do something about it I am sure. ~Cheryl

Kitagrl Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 11:33pm
post #15 of 16

It tastes like when they put it in hot into the can like its melting chemicals out of the can and into the shortening. I notice in the cheaper brands with the plastic tubs, it has no bad smell.

meghabyte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghabyte Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 11:43pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfCake61804

Just say NO to crisco! icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%