Icer Tip Question

Decorating By kansasgirl Updated 14 Jul 2005 , 11:19pm by Cake_Princess

kansasgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansasgirl Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 11:52am
post #1 of 10

I am going to try using the icer tip to frost a cake. Do I need to apply a crumb coat first? Thanks

9 replies
thecakeboutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeboutique Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 11:57am
post #2 of 10

I think it is personal preference. I know most of the people I know do apply crumb coats prior to icing.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 10

When I use the icer tip I don't crumb coat, but like thecakeboutique said it is a personal preference. thumbs_up.gif

niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 10

I do a crumb coat, but I don't think you have to with the tip. I just got the tip so I'm not used to it yet.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 10

I think it's totally a personal preference... I still crumb coat. Why? I dunno, just from the old school I guess and got into the habit lol .. I feel it seals in all my crumbs and then you don't have to worry about any showing .. I always manage to scrap too far down if I don't put a crumb coat and pull crumbs up into my icing.. but it's really up to the individual doing the cake icon_smile.gif

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 10

I don't crumb coat on my cakes--ever. I never had a problem with crumbs until I tried the icer tip. Arfter the first few failed attempts, I posted a question here and found that the icing I was using was too stiff. Even though it was the exact same icing I used for my "slap -n- spread" method. I thinned it out a bit and it works great.

Takes some getting used to, though. If I'm just doing a little cake--I use the old fashioned method.

Lisa

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 10

llj68, I love your term slap-n-spread, thats what I do slap it on. Thats truely made my day, cause it's been a rough day at work.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 10

I've never had to crumb coat while using the icing tip. It works really well. It does take some time to get used to and it does use quite a bit of frosting for the decorator bag.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisinbloom

llj68, I love your term slap-n-spread, thats what I do slap it on. Thats truely made my day, cause it's been a rough day at work.

Glad I could help and hope it gets or got better for you!! icon_biggrin.gif

Lisa

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 10

It seems to me the purpose of the cake icer tip is to eliminate having to crumb coat. It puts out a thick enough ribbon of icing that all you have to do is go over it with your spatula.

Personally if I use my spatula I Do a crumb coat. If using Tip #789, it seems almost pointless.

Hope this helps
Princess

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%