Red Icing? How Do You Get Your Icing Red & Not Pink?

Decorating By icabod Updated 16 Oct 2006 , 10:46pm by jtb94

icabod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icabod Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 13

How do you get icing RED & not PINK? Could someone give me ideas? I have been using deep red icing gel dye. icon_cry.gif

12 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 13

What brand are you using? Wilton isn't as good as other brands.
You have to use lots of red to get a true red, just watch because it doesn't taste good with that much food coloring. To mask the taste I add cocoa powder (just a little) or mint flavoring unless I'm making a cake that won't go with those flavors.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 13

Yep, go with Americolor - true red. It takes a lot less and doesn't taste as bad.

lhmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhmoore Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 13

I usually use the Christmas Red mixed with No taste Red, but it still doesn't turn to the shade I want and you have to add almost the whole bottle. Other suggestions are starting with a pink then add the other reds. I just recently tried the Americolor and that stuff works awesome. I won't be using the Wilton colors any more. Hope this helps

Lil

dawnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnell Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 13

I use the wilton brand(red-red) and sometimes a little dry powder coloring and let it set for 10 or so minutes and it seems to darken, if still not red enough, i add more coloring. I think i will be switching to the americolor when the wilton stuff is gone.

diz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diz Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 13

If all you have is wiltons.

Start with No taste red. add almost the whole bottle and let it sit for 24-48 hours. Then add the red colouring, let sit 24 hours.

It will turn red.

FreshAir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FreshAir Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 13

I'm taking cake decorating classes & although I've not tried this yet, my instructor said that to get a true red it takes 1 oz. of red coloring (she recommended Wilton red paste w/no taste) per cup of buttercream icing. Hope this works for you!

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 12:03am
post #8 of 13

Has anyone tried using cool-aid for coloring. I've heard it works great and tastes good too, but I'm not sure how good it can be to get the real dark colors, like dark red.......

suesue0718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesue0718 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you!!! So many great options icon_smile.gif

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 13

AMERICOLOR.....I put a whole jar of wilton's no taste red-red and still had dark pink, same with black, all I could get was grey. I spent like an hr. trying to get red and black. I came on here to see what I might be doing wrong and read about americolor. The next day I bought it a few drops later and I had a really nice red and black. AMERICOLOR.

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 13

Am I the only one who hasn't had luck with the Americolor red?? I don't have the true red, because they were out at the time I ordered, but I have Christmas red and holiday red, and I can't seem to get a deep red out of it?!?

jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 13

using a little brown helps also. I used it for the Lightning McQeen cake

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 13

I gave up on making red icing. I found it much easier to buy it from the local cake supply store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%