A Three Year Olds Breakfast....cake!

Decorating By farney0125 Updated 13 Jul 2005 , 9:56pm by gilpnh

farney0125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farney0125 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 6:35am
post #1 of 8

Ok so I was up till 4am making two cakes. One was for my best friends little boys 1st birthday...Blues Clues. I made a Cake and some cupcakes for that....the second cake was my first paying customer cake besides family...it was for a baby shower. They were doing a "clothes line" theme, and I had made one before and they requested it from a posting on www.craigslist.com. Anyhow, I worked very hard all night on into the am and I came out in the am and saw blue frosting on my daughters face. I flipped. I went and looked and she had gotten into the icing on the cupcakes. I was mad, but I had the leftover icing and knew I could finish it. I turn around to check on the baby shower cake and she had eaten a ton of the fondant pieces off of it, and moved the sticks around...pretty much ruining it. I don't think I had ever been in such shock. I couldn't cry, yell...nothing! I called my friend (cause my hubby was at work...) I had her come pick up my 3 year old and twin babies so I could do a quick fix on the cake. Luckily I was able to get it done with 20 minutes to spare. Boy was this an almost huge disaster. Ugh!

7 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 7:05am
post #2 of 8

WOW!!!! I would have freaked. You are most likely a very well organized calm person that is quick on the thought and action.....WOW is all I can say.....are they posted???? I'm gonna check!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 7:38am
post #3 of 8

You sound so calm, and evidently acted calmly as well! Good for you! I'm not too sure I would have been able to handle it so well, although I did have a cake disaster a while back and it is funny, you just do what you have to do to make it right!

I really admire all of you who are able to accomplish beautiful cakes while taking care of your little guys! Janice

PS hope your daughter didn't get a tummy ache from so much sugar.

thecakeboutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeboutique Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 11:56am
post #4 of 8

I SO feel for you!! I had this same experience with my friends kid. I leave all my cakes on my dining room table because my kids now know that "if they touch they die!!!". So I no longer have reservations about having cakes out, when my friend came over I had 2 full size sheet cakes and a 1/4 sheet, I open my dining room door to start to load them in my car and her child had dug in all 3 of them. I , like you could not speak, breathe, do anything! I was frozen , in shock. I felt bad for my friend because I know she felt awful. Well end of story , I ended up getting them fixed, I dont think they looked as nice as prior to the disaster but done none the less, SO YES!!! I DEFINATELY FEEL FOR YOU!!!

farney0125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farney0125 Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 8

All my cakes are in my photo area....I have done 3 of the "clothes line" theme cakes....the two that I was talking about had bigger fondant bows on top. The picture with the baby blanket is the finished cake. Hope that makes sense. LOL The Blues Clues cake is easy to find. Thanks for your comments...I usually would have freaked, but I am such a perfectionist when it comes to my cakes (remember I was up till 4am?) that I couldn't believe that she did what she did. She knows not to touch my cakes....well obviously not well enough! I'll have to hide them from now on I guess!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 8

This is one of those stories that make you cry, laugh and think WHEW!!! Just think you got a thumbs_up.gif on your icing with your 3yr. old! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 8

OMG, I can't even imagine having time or energy to do cakes with your full work load already. I have a 3 year old boy and babysit a 9 mo. old. I just have to wait until 9:00 pm to even start a cake, so I feel for you. I to have found the only safe place for a cake is the top of the fridge.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 8

Oh girl I feel for ya! If you look in my photos, the BIG pink castle cake (not the square one) My one year old chucked his sippy cup into it right after I finished it and took out an entire side. I cried.

I cant leave my cakes out for a minute, I had baked up wedding rounds, left the kitchen to go to the bathroom, (both were 2 at the time) came back out and 3 of the cakes they could eat had the sides eaten out of them.

I made a pirate ship for my middle childs birthday this last January, got it all finished, and the youngest stuck his Murray Wiggles figurine in the side right by the gun turret so he could be a "pirate" Sigh. I just left it. I cant even let my cakes cool in the kitchen, they are a search and destroy mission. Fortunately my hubby built me a "cake studio" in the basement and now EVERYTHING goes down there, even to cool, with a LOCK on the door.

Hang in there girl. Great Save. Heather

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%