Character Pans And Batter Amt...

Baking By mohara Updated 14 Jul 2005 , 11:35pm by MrsMissey

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 13 Jul 2005 , 4:29am
post #1 of 2

Hi.
I apologize in advance if this is a very dumb question but...

I have a question when using a "doctored" cake mix that adds 1 cup of sour cream to it. I made the Wilton Topsy Turvy cake this weekend and I used a recipe from the chocolate CMD book - the Darn Good Chocolate cake recipe. It is similar to the Chocolate Explosion cake...you add sour cream and chocolate chips to it. The batter was very thick and I wasn't sure how high to fill the pan. The pan said it takes one cake mix, however, I knew with all the additional ingredients, that I had much more than just "one cake mix" anymore. I thought maybe because the cake would be so dense that it wouldn't raise so much...anyways, I used ALL the batter and the pan was quite full. Well of course, it baked up and over the pan and spilled in my oven. It ended up ok in the end, I just trimmed off the excess and was still left with an extremely rich, moist cake.

I guess my real question is, when you start adding sour cream and other items to a recipe and you therefore end up increasing the batter amount, should you still fill the batter about 2/3rds from the top of the pan and then just do something else with the excess batter? I don't really want it cooking up and over the top again.

Thanks

1 reply
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 2

I would say that 2/3 full is the maximum you should fill your pans. You can always make cupcakes with any left over batter!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%