How Do I Make Scratch White Cake Fluffier?

Decorating By awall96 Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 1:08am by KoryAK

awall96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awall96 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:41am
post #1 of 11

I keep getting negative feedback from some customers stating that the my white cake was not light and fluffy like they expected and the only reason I could give them is that cake is from scratch and it is a heavier cake. Is there any way to "fluff up" a scratch white cake?

10 replies
noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:55am
post #2 of 11

Which recipe do you use. I use the WBH recipe for white cake and get rave reviews.

Do you use regular or cake flour?

Do you whip your whites?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 11

What's the recipe you are using? If people are used to box mix cakes then a scratch cake is going to be different to them. I have used the WBH white cake recipe and recieved great reviews. There's also the Scratch Yellow Cake with Box Qualities from baking 911.. it's not really yellow if you ask me.. LOL. http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=2552

But let us know your recipe and maybe we can help you adjust it a little to get better results. A dense cake can also be caused by over mixing as well.. so make sure you follow teh directions to a T.

ccaluda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccaluda Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 11

Im also curious about why box mixes are lighter and fluffier than scratch. Do they contain more baking powder/soda? Do they use a special type of flour?

Ive tried various scratch recipes but my family still prefers the taste and texture (light and airy) of the box-mix cakes.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 11

A Better White Scratch Cake is my favorite recipe to use. Definitely use cake flour and it will turn out soft and moist. I get compliments on it all the time.

Angie

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 11

Yep, I bet dollars to donuts that these people have only ever had box cakes, and I'm afraid there is just no comparison! Scratch cakes will always be heavier as they do not contain the 9 gizillion chemical additives and other nasties that give box mixes their texture. I'm a total scratch baker, and I'll take the delicious taste of scratch cakes over the chemical box every time - regardless of texture! You could try whipping your whites until stiff and then folding them in very gently at the end of mixing, that should help make the cake lighter.

awall96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awall96 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 11

I'll give the WBH white cake a shot, and I'll just have to make sure that I let everyone know who orders a cake the differences between scratch and box mixes.

I'll let you know soon how it goes.

Thanks for the help thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 11

The WBH white cake is good.. make sure you add a little extra vanilla for some extra punch in flavor too. icon_biggrin.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 11

On baking 911 Sarah did a little experiment with comparing the whip to the paddle attachments when making scratch cake. The whip did make it lighter and fluffier, but she also stated that it was a little drier.
Here is the link. Scroll down the page till you see the pics of her step by step.

http://www.baking911.com/asksarahbb/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=1&

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 11

A hi ratio shortening is also the answer.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 1:08am
post #11 of 11

Don't just whip the whites by themselves, so it with some of the sugar from the recipe and they will be more stable. This and simple syrup are key in moist, light scratch cakes. My scratch white is way lighter than a box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%