Lady Never Showed Up!

Business By mommabuda Updated 16 Oct 2006 , 1:12am by SweetConfectionsChef

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 14

i was all excited because i had my first "meeting" yesterday with someone about a wedding cake. she called me because she heard from someone that i do cakes so i told her i would do it for $1.25 a serving which is extremely cheap... we set up a date and time that she could come over and discuss everything. i drew up a price sheet, got some books ready, made cupcakes and frosted them so she could have a taste. my husband took our 3 dogs and the baby over to my parent's house about an hour before we were scheduled to have the meeting and she never showed up! i'm so mad! i don't have her phone number so i can't call but even if she does call me back now, i really don't want to do the stupid cake for her! i just don't get some people!

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 14

Unfortunately people make appointments all the time and don't show up!! Sorry this happened...I would say you are booked next time she calls..if she calls.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 14

How inconciderate! I might still do it but the price just went up and I'd get a 50% deposit ( non refundable) up front with the balance due and no changes 1 month before the wedding. People just amaze me.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 14

I'm sorry you had to go through so much for this inconsiderate person.
The price you gave her is really too cheap. At least give a start at $2.00/slice. Your time is very important too!!!
It really is infuriating that people are so thoughtless of others. Hopefully this will be your first and last selfish person. Good luck on all future tastings and orders!!

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 14

just look at it as a good thing. you underpriced so now you got out of that without having to do a cake for cheap. i'm sorry you had to go through all that trouble, i would be really mad if i did all of that and the woman didnt show up.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 14

I'm so sorry you had such a inconsiderate would-be client. Even if something serious happened she should have called and let you know. And, I agree with the others, your price was WAY to low. Take a deep breath and remember there will be other opportunities.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 14

Too low on your price. When she calls back, tell her your price per serving has gone up to $XX (I say $2.00). If she asks why, tell her that your time is valuable and that you could have booked another consult on the day she didn't show up, but because she didn't call you were out time and money. Get deposit if she eventually books with you. And I would charge a tasting fee since she didn't have the courtesy to call and cancel.
Doctors and dentist do, if you don't give 24 hour cancellation notice.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 14

First off, I would try to have the mindset that maybe something terrible did happen and she just couldn't call. I KNOW that is hard to do (been there done that), but I try to give others the benefit of the doubt when possible. Anyway, with that being said, yes, I would think she could have called EVEN IF something terrible had happened (short of her being unconscious in the hospital, or worse).

I'm way new at this cake stuff, so I know there are alot of people here that are much, much more seasoned at this than I. I've yet to learn my lessons. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif But this is a good learning experience for all of us newbies (so nice of you to be used as a guinea pig, huh?). icon_sad.gif I am finding that EVERYTHING everyone shares here is a learning experience. So, thanks for sharing (really).

I vote for, first of all, if she even does call back, maybe ask her why she didn't call you. It won't change things but maybe it can give you some insight on the reason why she didn't call. And I would definitely raise my price. From what I read on here sometimes, even $2.00 is too cheap. I read on website last night that their price is EIGHT TO TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS per slice per person. Wow! You definitely deserve to be compensated for your time. You went ALL OUT to try and take care of this lady. Sorry you had to go through this.

Hope things work out better next time. And if she calls back, I hope you will be caring AND firm with her.

Hugs,
Suzanne

Sophie-Em Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophie-Em Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 14

This is a real common problem and I guess comes with the territory. Some people just think the world revolves around them and don't think about the person they make an appointment with is busy. Shes a very inconsiderate person. If she did have an emergency she could have at least called you and canceled.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 14

This is SO frustrating and I am sorry this happened! I agree that you should look at it as though something may have happened that was pretty serious, and give her the chance to explain (if she ever calls). If it comes to pass that she is just inconsiderate, then yes, the price just doubled to even talk to her. (You can tell her that price was a 'one-time' offer for that day of booking only!) If she has a reasonable excuse, I would cut her some slack (assuming you still have that date open) and assume that she called as soon as she was able. I wish this wouldn't happen, as it is so disappointing, and God knows we artists are the sensitive type! icon_lol.gif Keep your chin up and remember how fantastic you are, and that if she's just a putz, there are better customers out there for your talents!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 14

What a bummer.! icon_cry.gif I hate when you spend time and effort on something and the person doesn't show up. I always get so anxious before I meet someone about a cake. But you are way under pricing. I wouldn't make a wedding cake for under $2 a slice.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 14

I am so sorry this happened to you, some people can be so inconsiderate. And if a she did have an emergency hopefully she will call to at least let you know. You said she heard about you from "someone", could you have called that person to get that woman's phone number?

I totally agree with the other posters here but one thing that was not brought up and that is to ALWAYS get a phone number. In my other life I sold cosmetics and the one thing they drilled into my head was to get a contact phone number and to confirm the appointment the day before. I know this sounds like babysitting but your time is important too. Weigh a 2 minute phone call compared to your husband dragging the dogs and baby to your mom's and all your preparation. Best of luck to you and we all share and learn from our experiences here on CC, that's what makes this place so GREAT thumbs_up.gif

Sams

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 3:51pm
post #13 of 14

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Lesson learned, ALWAYS get a phone number. I am a massage therapist and I always ask for a number "in case something comes up and I need to contact you". That way it makes it sound like anything can happen and I need to be able to call if I have to cancel, when I'm more concerned about them showing up. For new clients, I always call and confirm as well the day before or morning of. People can be very flaky. Sometimes things do come up that are unavoidable and it never occurs to them to call.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 16 Oct 2006 , 1:12am
post #14 of 14

Your cheap price might have got her thinking! Why would you give a price before you know the details of a cake anyway??? Sorry to be so blunt, but it stunned me! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

As for people missing appointments...happens all of the time! Many customers don't value your time...especially if you put a $1.25 price tag on it! Actually, people are just inconsiderate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%