?s About Adding Stuff To Cake Balls(What Do You Add?)

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 16 Aug 2007 , 6:50pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:11am
post #1 of 26

OK! I am wanting to try out some new things in cake balls that I think will be delicious but, I am afraid they are not going to harden enough in the freezer to dip them later! This is because before I have tried cream cheese frosting and it was so gooey even after I put it in the freezer! (regardless that was my first try! icon_lol.gif ) So lets see...

Marshmallow Fluff?
Peanut butter?- I have tried PB cups but the PB didn't seem to get hard enough! Or do I need to make it in a frosting?
Choc. Syrup or other syrups?
Jam/ Jelly
Liquers? and how much to add!?? (don't want to get anyone wasted! icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gif

So please! Let me know! Will this stuff work? Any of it!? Anything else anyone has tried would be great as I am sure a LOT more people have tried things!

Thanks!
step0nmi

25 replies
Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:19am
post #2 of 26

Hi there:

I tried my first cake balls and they came out really yummy.
In the crumbled cake, I added coffee creamer (original b/c cake was chocolate) and I added Hershey's syrup (BIG mistake).

What I'm going to try, and perhaps you may want to try as well, is the syrup that hardens on contact after like 3 seconds (the chocolate shell syrup).

I'm going to try that next...
HTH! good luck

step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:23am
post #3 of 26

I didn't think that chocolate syrup would work! Something was posted in a thread a while back and I just thought...I don't think that hardens!

Hey guys! What about Peppermint Schnapps to chocolate cake!? Yum! I think I would add some milk too!

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:27am
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I didn't think that chocolate syrup would work! Something was posted in a thread a while back and I just thought...I don't think that hardens!

Hey guys! What about Peppermint Schnapps to chocolate cake!? Yum! I think I would add some milk too!

Yea the regular Hershey's syrup doesn't harden, but there's another chocolate syrup (Magic shell or something like that) that hardens after 3 seconds on contact...

step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:36am
post #5 of 26

I don't know if I want to use that magic shell but, thanks for the tip!

ANYONE ELSE???

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:37am
post #6 of 26

I make peanut butter balls. I just added melted peanut butter into chocolate crumbs. I watered the peanut butter down a little bit with some milk.

If your bake balls are too gooey, you are probably putting too much liquid in. It doesn't take that much.

Stephanie

step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:44am
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

I make peanut butter balls. I just added melted peanut butter into chocolate crumbs. I watered the peanut butter down a little bit with some milk.

If your bake balls are too gooey, you are probably putting too much liquid in. It doesn't take that much.

Stephanie

I don't put that much anymore...thanks...I learned really fast! LOL I think the cream cheese one just didn't hold well? Am I wrong?

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:46am
post #8 of 26
Quote:

Yum, Yum, Yum!!! I can't wait to try that!!! (oops, I'm salivating!!) icon_redface.gif
I use Rum as the liquid in my chocolate scraps and it's delicious!!!

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:51am
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

What I'm going to try, and perhaps you may want to try as well, is the syrup that hardens on contact after like 3 seconds (the chocolate shell syrup).

I think the only way it will harden is if what it comes in contact with is cold. I think it will just be like chocolate syrup if it's not.

I add pudding to make my cake balls.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:00am
post #10 of 26

I just found tonight liquid coffee mate chocolate raspberry, also a coconut creme to go with the DH coconut cake. I'm gonna dip those in white chocolate. I am using a butter pecan cake with a pecan coffee creamer too. Don't you just love all these creamers? They have a pumpkin spice soon to come out for the fall, I tried that last year and they were yummy too. And the Irish cream mint too, on and on it goes where it stops who knows.

mhooper12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhooper12000 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:01am
post #11 of 26

I don't know if this is the right answer to the question, but I make these Oreo balls, that I cover in the (white almond bark aka white chocolate). I've heard that you can do the cake balls the same way. I crumble an entire package of Oreos in the food chopper, add an 8oz container of melted cream cheese to it, then roll into balls. Then I freeze them for 3 hours, most of the time overnight. The next day I melt an entire package of white chocolate and over a double broiler and dip them. I set them on wax paper to dry. They are so delicious. We actually call them snow man poop. They were a Christmas thing until I started making them more often. Anyway, this would be great with chocolate cake crumbles instead of Oreos, I'm sure. Hope this helps=)

bgbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgbaker Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:02am
post #12 of 26

Just wanted to let you know that I made cake balls with some leftover strawberry cake and I added a little of my buttercreme icing and a few drops of almond flavoring . They froze really well. I dipped them in white chocolate . They were absolutely delicious. They were gone as soon as I put them on the table.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:03am
post #13 of 26

I never mix mine with anything thinner than frosting....I make a peanut butter frosting for some chocolate cake truffles. Cream cheese frosting for red velvet ones...I never add any just liquid form of anything....some do ...and like them...I tried it before (several different times with different creamers and liquids) and they just tasted like gooey nasty ( just my opinion) cake with something accidentally spilled on it.

step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:04am
post #14 of 26

mmmm...mhooper12000! That sounds yummy!!

I had a friend make me the oreo balls with regular chocolate over them! They are too die for!

sgilmer-does the pudding really work?? How much do you use?

step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:08am
post #15 of 26

Thanks everyone!

KayDay-I know what you mean! Someone once told me they thought it was "gross" that my grampa mixed slightly dry cake with milk...it's kinda a lighter treat and something we all USE to do to prolong the cakes in our houses. (we didn't eat much cake back then!) NOW! I don't think anyone goes home without cake something! I would probably not do it now either! LOL

Keep them coming guys! This is fun! icon_biggrin.gif

KayDay Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:12am
post #16 of 26

LOL....my dad ( old southern gentleman that he was, God rest his soul) used to ...(I know it sounds gross)....pour sometimes milk or *shudders* fresh cold buttermilk over cornbread and eat it like cereal!

KayDay Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #17 of 26

ohhh...now the milk on cake reminds me of a tres leches cake...for some reason i sure dont find those gross... icon_lol.gif

step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #18 of 26

You made me laugh KayDay! Thanks!

mhooper12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhooper12000 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:45am
post #19 of 26
Quote:

mmmm...mhooper12000! That sounds yummy!!

I had a friend make me the oreo balls with regular chocolate over them! They are too die for!

sgilmer-does the pudding really work?? How much do you use?

If you like them with regular chocolate, you'll love them in white. I've had them both ways and definitely favor the white. Try them whenever you get a chance. You'll be hooked=)

KayDay Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:50am
post #20 of 26

omg the oreo ones sound delicious!!! I must try them!

step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:39am
post #21 of 26

Wow! These cake balls sound like the greatest things ever! I am hungry! LOL

step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #22 of 26

Sooo...does anyone else know about the marshmallow fluff or the jam/jelly?? I am really curious about these. My grampa makes homemade jam and I would really like to make him a few!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:52pm
post #23 of 26

I just made some yesterday with a lemon cake. I added buttercreme frosting and a little more lemon extract. Dipped them in melted semi-sweet chocolate chips, and they are sooooo good!!! I think I might have to go eat one right now!! icon_lol.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:59pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:

Sooo...does anyone else know about the marshmallow fluff or the jam/jelly?? I am really curious about these. My grampa makes homemade jam and I would really like to make him a few!

I have never mixed the crumbs with jam or mm fluff, but I have added tiny marshmallows to the center of the cake ball (usually will roll in graham crackers to make a 'smore'). I've added a ton of other ingredients (nuts, coconut, jams, caramel, etc...), but I find the consistency is best with the coffee creamers and use those extras in the middle of the ball to make up new tastes.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 4:11pm
post #25 of 26

so far I have only used left over filling or icing, but neat to see what everyone does.

step0nmi Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:50pm
post #26 of 26

Well! I am going to try the fluff...today! I wanna see if it'll work! Thanks for the input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%