Makeup You Love

Lounge By michellenj Updated 2 Sep 2007 , 6:22am by MichelleM77

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 30

Ladies-I need some new makeup. For years I've used the same old products (Clinique 3-step skincare, etc) and am looking to try some new ones. If you have any products that you love, please let me know, esp. if they are for oily or combination skin.

Also, I'm looking for a good red lipstick. One that actually stays red. A lot of them start out red and get a pinkish hue after a little while, and Estee Lauder and Clinique both discontinued my colors.

Thanks a bunch!
Michelle

29 replies
breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 30

Philosophy. Anything except the primer, which may be fine for some folks, but for me encouraged cakey foundation. For oily/combination, I'd specifically recommend the powder (can't remember what it's called but it comes in a very different container).

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 30

I use the mineral makeup, I started off using purminerals which I love and I just ordered the sheer cover by leeza gibbons andI tried it for the first time today adn can't feel it at all and the concealer is AMAZING. onething I DO NOT recommendis the walmart or drug store brand mineral makeups, they are horrible and too grainy. get the good stuff, it works great.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 30

If you want to try some mineral makeup out, go to www.everydayminerals.com and click on custom kits, there is a free sample you can get. Just pick out your colors and pay for shipping. My mom uses it, but I haven't tried it yet. I would say the containers are about 1 inch round plastic things with a screw on lid, but they're only about halfway full. I think shipping is $5 and you get 3 foundations, a concealer, and a blush.

michellenj Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 30

Those sound good. I have always wanted to try the mineral makeup, it's supposed to be the best thing for oilier skin, right? I could use a good concealer, too.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 30

I like the bare minerals make up too. I use it as a concealer as well. Get the brushes that go with it too.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 30

I use Bare Escentuals mineral makeup. My skin breathes and feels very light. Coverage is very good.

I've tried Sheer Cover mineral makeup and didn't like it, except for the concealer. The powders seem stickier than Bare Escentuals and my skin can't breathe on it as well.

For brushes, both brands came with a set and I prefer the ones from Bare Escentuals. The kabuki brush give very good coverage. The brushes from Sheer Cover seem to shed and do not hold the powders well for applying.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #8 of 30

I too use only Bare Mineral/Bare Escentuals makeup. It is simply fabulous and I purchase all of mine off Ebay. The prices are great, just be sure to check the seller descriptions to make sure your are getting the real thing. K'ly

KlyKat Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:13am
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilmer

If you want to try some mineral makeup out, go to www.everydayminerals.com and click on custom kits, there is a free sample you can get. Just pick out your colors and pay for shipping. My mom uses it, but I haven't tried it yet. I would say the containers are about 1 inch round plastic things with a screw on lid, but they're only about halfway full. I think shipping is $5 and you get 3 foundations, a concealer, and a blush.

Thanks for passing along this website. I just went on it and ordered the free kit and looked around. Prices are fabulous thumbs_up.gif K'ly

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:37am
post #10 of 30

I use the mineral makeup from Avon.

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #11 of 30

I use Mary Kay. I love it. I just went and ordered some of the mineral makeup b/c I have always wanted to try it.
The shipping only comes to $3.97.

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 30

I like bare minerals okay, but it's such a pain to carry anyplace. I also use physician's formula mineral, but NOT the powder - the cream, which is probably too moisture-ful for you if you're oily. (I'm combination, but I don't mind a little dewiness and I HATE matte.) The PP stuff is absolutely grainy and does feel like it's, well, let's just say extra exfoliation if you rub your face, huh?

The Philosophy Supernatural powder that I mentioned above is a mineral make up, but it comes in a little jar with a sponge top applicator so you don't have to deal with a brush, too. I'm a minimalist, though.

For colors, you can't beat MAC, and they've got everything from super conservative to wild and fashion-forward. I also like Origins (lip glosses have just a hint of mint, which is fabulous!), Clarins (more for skin care than makeup), Amazing Cosmetics (best concealer on the planet, IMHO and according to Allure), and Bobbi Brown is great for the subtle look.

I'm pretty sensitive, so everything I've mentioned is skin-friendly and non-stinky. I absolutely cannot STAND that make-up, old-lady smell that emanates from some of the powders and such out there - and not just the cheap stuff!

michellenj Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 30

I love MAC's lipsticks and glosses, but their reds suck. I have tried every shade of red they have and none of them work for me. I like their other shades and products, though.

I like Origins, too but the lighting is so bad in our mall's Origins store that nothing looks the same when you get it home! It's ridiculous that a cosmetics store has bad lighting. The names of hteir products are too cute.

Last night I went online and ordered the Bare Escentuals starter kit. We'll see how it works. I can't wait for it to get here! It comes w/ a concealer brush, kabuki brush, some other brush, primer, mineral veil, a bronzer, and two foundations.

Have any of you tried cream eyeliner? Smashbox makes one that I've always wanted to try. Just wondering if it smudges or stays put.

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterstrigger

I use the mineral makeup from Avon.

I have been wanting to try the Avon minerals. How is it? I love Bare Essentuals but it is a bit pricey.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 3:41pm
post #15 of 30

I'm a make-up junkie and there are two items I can't live without icon_rolleyes.gif

- Bare Escentuals - I may sound like the infomercial but I never received compliments on my skin until I started using this; people have asked me if I've had laser treatments (which I will someday!). Someone stated in an earlier post its a pain to carry around - as an FYI they do sell a nice little compact with a small brush that works nicely.

- Lash Wig - I buy this mascara from Sephora and after my first try I bought 5 more just in case it was discontinued. It is the only mascara I have ever liked and I've used 'em all. It goes on perfectly, doesn't clump or make racoon eyes, stays on until I decide and really does lengthen.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 30

I LOVE Origin's 'Pinch your cheeks' it's a teeny metal tube of blusher that you use a tiny drop of and it stays on ALL day and just adds a natural looking glow to your cheeks. Gorgeous!

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 10:43pm
post #17 of 30

I love Suzanne Summers foundation in a can. It's in a spray can, just close your eyes and spray your face then blot with a puff!

I like bare minerals cheek colors and finishing veil.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 30

I bought the Sheer Cover and I really liked how it looks but it is just a little too thickish (is that a word??lol) for me. Then I bought some Bobbi Brown foundation and I LOVE it!! would buy again for sure!

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 3:56am
post #19 of 30

I've always struggled with acne, large pores, and freckles. I've tried all the foundations, and I can truly say that I LOVE Bare Escentuals foundations. My face has cleared up a lot, it stays on all day, doesn't feel heavy and doesn't look like I have on so much makeup that I have a mask on.

I started receiving compliments on it as soon as I started using it. Several women at my work have switched because they have seen the difference, but one of them didn't want to pay the $ for it, so she ordered the Avon minerals, and I let her try mine. No comparison. B.E. was so much silkier, smoother, better coverage, and the Avon brush was horrible. It started shedding before she had used it yet. (I'm not knocking avon, I've used some of their products for years).

Try the Bare Escentuals. I think you will love it.

Lipsticks? Well, I always used Revlon Color Stay Lipstick in #17 Dusk. 10 years I used that lipstick, and what did they do? Change the formula, change the names, and change the numbers. Can't find a color close to it, hate the new formula, and still can't find something close to it. It was a pinky-plumy-red. Cant' explain it. Very long lasting, matte finish, but wasn't stiff and didn't make your lips feel like you can't move them.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't like shiny gloss like lipsticks either.

KlyKat Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 12:56pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:

I ordered the samples kit on the 15th and received in yesterday icon_surprised.gif That was ONLY 3 days icon_eek.gif And the samples are fabulous!!!! Way more than I expected!! And all for only $3.97 icon_lol.gif Thanks again, K'ly

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:

I ordered the samples kit on the 15th and received in yesterday icon_surprised.gif That was ONLY 3 days icon_eek.gif And the samples are fabulous!!!! Way more than I expected!! And all for only $3.97 icon_lol.gif Thanks again, K'ly

I did too! I was very pleased I will be trying them out today too.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 5:26pm
post #22 of 30

I am a tried and true Diorskin fan! I love their mascara and skinflash. I also like urban decay eye shadows they have some really fun colors!

Elle

michellenj Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:44pm
post #23 of 30

I got the Bare Escentuals starter kit, Smashbox primer, and cream eyeliner and brush. Love all of them, and the brushes are so nice.

I've wanted to try the Diorshow mascara. My current favorites are Shu Emura (sp.?) Estee Lauder Lash XL, and Lancome. The Lancome gets clumpy, though, if you aren't super careful.

Someone asked about Revlon Colorstay "Dusk". I used to wear it, and found a color I think is similar, but doesn't last like Revlon. MAC "Cosmo". Give it a look.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:51pm
post #24 of 30

Diorshow mascara is GREAT! No clumpy messes! I love it, love it!

Elle

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:09pm
post #25 of 30

[quote="KlyKat]
I ordered the samples kit on the 15th and received in yesterday icon_surprised.gif That was ONLY 3 days icon_eek.gif And the samples are fabulous!!!! Way more than I expected!! And all for only $3.97 icon_lol.gif Thanks again, K'ly[/quote]

I got mine yesterday and so far I love it. You get a lot for the money and a little goes a long way.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:36pm
post #26 of 30

I have super sensitive skin, but I love Ulta's Studio Gear eye shadow - I use it as blush (allergic to the actual eyeshadow). It has a bronzer in it too, so you get a great healthy glow.

Most of my friends use the BareEssentials from Ulta. But I'm hesitant to shell out $60 for a starter kit, I'm wondering it it's way better than the Mary Kay loose powder and my favorite blush icon_smile.gif.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:42am
post #27 of 30

I absolutely love and live by Bare Escentuals as well. I've been using it almost a year and my face has stayed so much clearer and I don't feel like I have makeup on. I was never much for any foundation and this is perfect.

I had a gift card to Sephora last year and got the starter kit. Pricey but worth it, imo. I re-ordered my colors on eBay - for much less and it is the real thing. Here is the eBay store I bought mine from: http://stores.ebay.com/Babes-Beauty-Boutique She doesn't have items listed right now but you can keep an eye out.

Sephora gets me in to so much trouble.

For the past few years I've been more of a gloss girl. I haven't bought lipstick in awhile. If you love glosses, Cargo has some great ones. Expensive tins but I really like them.

I'm also a fan of Philosophy's products as well.

michellenj Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:34pm
post #28 of 30

If you are looking for a good concealer, Cargo's is the best.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 3:01am
post #29 of 30

I like Mary Kay lipstick, but they discontinued my fav color

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 6:22am
post #30 of 30

I've been using Origins for the past 2 years and my skin couldn't be in better condition. I love, love, love their cleanser called Checks & Balances. I also use their foundation, powder, lipstick, and mascara, and a product called Spot Remover for the occasional flare-up. A year after I started using Origins, hubby started using their men's line of shaving stuff. He loves it too! It does seem to go a long way, but then again I only wear makeup when I leave the house and that's not very often anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%