Structural Advise Needed Please

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 12:43am by cakeladyatLA

ljhow623 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 8

I need some help from all the structural geniuses out there. IHEre is a picture of the cake that I am going to attempt. I don't know who made it but they deserve a lot of credit. I think it's great. So any way how would you construct a stand that looks like this, if there are any suggestions on how to build this so it will be strong enough to hold the cakes but light enough to move and set up for a display. Your help is very much appreciated.

7 replies
cassi_g16 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 8

You could make it out of PVC pipe and paint to make it look like br4anches

Doug Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 8

this may help:

if you have a friend who is a plumber -- they can whip this out in no time -- provided you supply the plywood circles precut.

ljhow623 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 8

I knew Doug would come though! Thanks so much.

That's was what my husband was thinking but what size PVC pipe would you use. They don't have 1" flanges so, I checked the back room as I work for a plumbing contractor.

Doug Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 8

use smallest flange they have and then use a reducer to make it fit to the size pipe you want to use.

also -- check to see if they have a copper flange that could be adapted.

(in fact could build the whole thing out of copper -- which already would have a nice brown patina esp. if you wiped it w/ diluted vinegar)

cakeladyatLA Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 8

great explanation doug! Do you by any chance have something similar but just straight up cakes? thanx!

Doug Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:16am
post #7 of 8
Originally Posted by cakeladyatLA

great explanation doug! Do you by any chance have something similar but just straight up cakes? thanx!

at the point you see the 45 degree joint....

sub it out for a plate with 2 flanges - one each top and bottom.

adjust length of pipe to get separation needed.

and just keep going up and up with more pipe sections and double flanged plates.

top most plate will only have a flange on bottom

cakeladyatLA Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 8

Got it! thanx

Quote by @%username% on %date%