Is He Trying To Freak Me Out??

Decorating By mbelgard Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 8:00pm by Cakelady232

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 1:59am
post #1 of 23

My son's birthday is tommorow and when my husband came home tonight I showed him the cake. I have been planning this cake for weeks and thought it turned out pretty good and he looks at it and says "it's okay."

Now I'm worried, normally he'll say he likes it or something nice about it.

I don't know how to resize it but it's the first 2 pics in my photos.

22 replies
seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seven Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:07am
post #2 of 23

looks great!! whats he thinking?? bad day at the office maybe?? you did great work dont worry....kids will LOVE it and the adults will be very impressed!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:09am
post #3 of 23

The cake is awesome!

Maybe DH had a rough day?

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:10am
post #4 of 23

Hi mbelgard,

I just took a peep at your cake and it is fantastic.

Give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was tired or had something on his mind.

Cheer up thumbs_up.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:12am
post #5 of 23

Oh, thats very easy to explain.... HE'S A MAN!!!!!!!!!
That is a terrific cake! Your son is going to love,love,love it!!!
Of course, being a younger version of the male species, he may not let you know just how much he loves it.
Don't worry one more second. It is a wonderful cake. WELL DONE!

I might add that I know this because my husband hardly ever says more than "Oh yeah, it's nice". BUT then when he is talking to someone else, he brags up a storm! Go figure!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:19am
post #6 of 23

I love that cake.

There is alot of detail in it.

I am not sure what DH was thinking. icon_rolleyes.gif Who knows

sweetpppp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpppp Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:28am
post #7 of 23

He must just be jealous...the cake is fantastic and your son will love it. Great work!!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:29am
post #8 of 23

It's a fabulous cake! My boys would love it. No doubt dh had something else on his mind, or had a bad day. Men are just that way.

Great job on the cake!

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:36am
post #9 of 23

Jeez, my husband does the exact same thing. Drives me nuts!! Just when I was getting ready to go crazy, I met one of his co-workers in the grocery store. She is a regular customer of mine. She told me, "you know, Corey is a walking advertisement for you, he comes to work and says 'It's Happy Monday, anybody want to order a cake?' " I thought that was the cutest thing ever. My husband blushed so hard, (and we're african american!!) So, I'm sure your husband is every bit as supportive. Maybe he was just having a bad day!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:39am
post #10 of 23

Are you kidding!!!! Your son is going to have a fit!!
That cake is fantastic!!! Don't worry one bit, you did a wonderful job!!!

Cindy

lhmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhmoore Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 2:57am
post #11 of 23

Awesome Cake. I Love it. Your DH must've been high or something LOL. (Please don't take offense to that).

Lil

redbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redbird Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 3:12am
post #12 of 23

Maybe your husband doesn't like Harry Potter or doesn't think your son does? That's all I can think of. Other than that, I find it very interesting. Looks like it took a lot of work.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 3:22am
post #13 of 23

Its great....I can't believe how much work you put into this cake. Maybe your husband doesn't understand the Harry Potter books, glasses etc. Has He ever seen any of the HP movies to understand what the books and other things look like? Ask him why he said that so you have a better understanding of his remark.

Its really great!

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 3:37am
post #14 of 23

I don't know what he was thinking, that cake is fantastic!!

-Lisa

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 4:07am
post #15 of 23

The cake is great! Maybe it's just not his favorite that you've done, or not the style that he likes the best.

It looks wonderful!

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:42pm
post #16 of 23

I agree with czyadgrl - probably just a style he doesn't like.

Absolutely Awesome cake!!!

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 23

I like the cake. It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it.

Rambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rambo Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:04pm
post #18 of 23

OMG your cake is awesome. You even included the (can't remember the name) but the monster book that kept attacking the kids. Don't take your husbands lack of enthusiasm to heart. The others are right, it could have been his mood or he just doesn't care for the type of cake. Or there is what my DH suffers from now and again...Cake jealosy. Occationally if I spend a real long time and pour my heart and soul into a project he feels neglected. Not easy to lose out to a cake in the priority list. Men are just as insecure as us, If not more! Take pride you did great!! thumbs_up.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:32pm
post #19 of 23

your cake looks great! Awesome. One of these days i'm going to have the courage to do a book cake lol.

I'm thinkin that timing plays a huge part in the communication process. It's not a male trait you're describing. Just people have other things on their mind sometimes when we want to share something. Or they want to share something and we're in the middle of something else. If your normal communication lines are pretty open and honest, I cant imagine why someone would say something like that just to get you freaked out.
The lady I made the anniversary cake for never gets enthusiastic about anything. Knowing this means I am not about to take it personal when she doesnt do cartwheels after I delivered the cake.

There are people (male AND female) who like to get a rise out of their s/os or anyone for that matter. That trait doesnt belong to males only. Only you can know if that's what your relationship is based on. But you said hubby normally gets excited. So maybe best to find out what was on his mind because his reaction was abnormal, instead of jumping to the conclusion he was trying to freak you out? Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

Sorta, PS, what did you use to make the 'pages' ? A fork or an actual decorating comb?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 6:55pm
post #20 of 23

Thanks everyone.
I know he likes Harry Potter and he wouldn't doubt the kid's love of it since he turned 8 yesterday and is part way through the fifth book.
I don't know what was up with him, later he said it turned out really nice, he can be so strange. icon_rolleyes.gif

oceanspitfire, I used the decorating triangle to do the pages.

ladyvader01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyvader01 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:44pm
post #21 of 23

Your cake is awesome!! I loved it!!

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 7:48pm
post #22 of 23

Men....

Cakelady232 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelady232 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 8:00pm
post #23 of 23

OK....I gotta be very honest and say.....initially I thought the work was a little sloppy (the books look old) but I showed my 12 year old who is a Harry Potter fan. She was immediately impressed by the work. The books are supposed to look that way and she really like the Monster book on the bottom of the stack. Who knew..."Monster book"? She knew and she liked the cake very much. thumbs_up.gif

Re: DH. Mine does that too sometimes. I don't ask anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%