Needles Needles Everywhere!

Decorating By JoanneK Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 5:05am by JoanneK

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:08am
post #1 of 13

Well I just made my first Colette Peters cake. It's the cactus one in my photos.

This darn cake took forever to make. It wasn't hard just took forever. With all the tiny needles!!!! The book said to make 300 so I made about 600 knowing some would break. Well it wasn't enough. This cake took so many needles I thought I was going to go mad.

However, with all the time it took it was well worth it. My sister (whom everyone has heard about how "honest" she is about all my cakes) came over and saw it. Her mouth fell open and she said said "Wow! Now that is a great cake!"

I don't know why but it seems like my cakes look better in person then they do on the photos. Plus my photos always seem to scan blurry on this site but no where else.

Oh well, glad it's done. Hope my uncle likes it.

I do have one question though. Since the needles are all made from royal icing and they are stuck in the buttercream, will they be all melted by morning? The birthday is tomorrow and I hope it still looks ok. I would hate to think I did all that work only to have it look melted.

Joanne

12 replies
mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:13am
post #2 of 13

OMG Joanne - that cake is AMAZING!!!!! Is the "pot" cake too? It looks so real.

As far as the royal and the buttercream, you should be fine. I did my firetruck cake the day before the party and all the royal did just fine stuck to the buttercream. I don't think it even got soft. It looked just as good the next afternoon as when I stuck it on the day before.

Amazing, amazing, amazing cake!!!!!!!

Melissa

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:24am
post #3 of 13

Wow, Joanne, that looks great. What pan did you make it in?

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:43am
post #4 of 13

WOW!!!! icon_eek.gif Awesome cake. I'm sure your uncle will love it.

zina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zina Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:44am
post #5 of 13

Wow! You did an awesome job. All of your work is great. What Collette Peters' book is this cake in?

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:50am
post #6 of 13

YOu must have ALOT of patience !! Great job. It looks beautiful !! I'm sure he will LOVE it (I would if it were mine !)

MG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 12:59am
post #7 of 13

I made that cake also and the needles were the worst! I piped them onto waxed paper and they were sticking to it when I tried to remove them. I have a tweezer that I use for cake decorating to insert each one into the cactus. Very tedious work but well worth the effort. Great job on the cake and I'm glad your sister liked it. thumbs_up.gif

JoanneK Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 5:15am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for all the nice remarks.

Melissa, No the pot is not cake. It's real. I filled the pot with beans then put a layer of foil over them. Then I put the cake down on the foil (cake was on a board) and put the dirt (Oreo's) around to pack it down.

I used the ball pan. The directions are in Colette's Cakes The Art of Cake Decorating.

I have to say this is a very easy cake to do but it takes a long time to do it. If you make it make tons more needles then you think you will need even then you will most likely need more.

I'm so thrilled to have been able to make one of Colettes cakes and have it come out looking pretty good. Of course it could be better but then again she is Colette Peters and I'm just a newbie at all this icon_smile.gif

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 5:22am
post #9 of 13

That is too cute. I can't imagine sticking all those needles in there. Your flower is very pretty too.

Casey

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 5:25am
post #10 of 13

Oh, my Lord! What a task! I was looking through your photos and I love your purse! It is just beautiful!!! icon_biggrin.gif

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 6:14am
post #11 of 13

You must have a lot of patience and very steady hands. Well done on a fantastic cake. I'm sure your uncle will love it!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 13

For what it's worth - When I made my mini cactus, Lili (my instructor) said to just pipe straight strings of icing the whole length of a cookie sheet. The things broke as I tried to take them off the waxed paper, and ended up being the right size...(was a lot easier for a newbie than trying to make them a certain length. Not sure if it would be any use to a longtime decorator, but...)

JoanneK Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 5:05am
post #13 of 13

What a great group we have here! Thanks for all the nice remarks. It sure makes me feel good. I'm not the most confident when it comes to my cakes icon_redface.gif

Oh and funny you should say that about making the long string of royal icing and then breaking it. I did two cookie sheet full of little lines then finally decided I could do a whole line then cut it with a knife before it dried so I could make them the size I wanted.

The last sheet of lines I did I just left and broke them off like you said. It was a lot easier to do that.

Thanks for the compliment on my purse cake too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%