Buttercream Icing Recipe From Wilton Course 1

Decorating By dolfingirl82 Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 4:39pm by dolfingirl82

dolfingirl82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfingirl82 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:49am
post #1 of 10

So tomorrow is the second day for my Wilton course. I just finished making the icing (10:30pm) and I don't like it. It has left a weird after taste. This is the 3rd buttercream recipe I've come across. The one I normally use is:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar (i use 3 cups occasionally)
2 tbsps milk
1 tsp. wilton clear vanilla extract

The course recipe is completely different.
1 cup shortening
1 tsp Wilton Flavor
2 tbsp milk or water
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp Wilton Meringue Powder

This recipe I doubled so I could practice during the next week. Do you think, since I doubled this recipe that is why I'm getting this yucky after taste or should I just stick to the one I normally use?

9 replies
shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:09am
post #2 of 10

I think that it doesn't matter which recipe you use. Well, maybe the meringue powder would be good to add for stability. But really I don't think it matters as long as the consistency is correct.

Have fun in your class!

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:25am
post #3 of 10

i usually reduce the milk in the course recipe to 1 tablespoon and add 2 teaspoons clear vanilla, and 2 teaspoons clear butter flavor. hope this helps

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfingirl82

So tomorrow is the second day for my Wilton course. I just finished making the icing (10:30pm) and I don't like it. It has left a weird after taste. This is the 3rd buttercream recipe I've come across. The one I normally use is:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar (i use 3 cups occasionally)
2 tbsps milk
1 tsp. wilton clear vanilla extract

The course recipe is completely different.
1 cup shortening
1 tsp Wilton Flavor
2 tbsp milk or water
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp Wilton Meringue Powder

This recipe I doubled so I could practice during the next week. Do you think, since I doubled this recipe that is why I'm getting this yucky after taste or should I just stick to the one I normally use?

It's probably the Wilton flavoring you used. If it's just practice icing it should not really matter how it taste. I would go ahead and use it for practicing. Use the 50/50 for eating.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 10

I agree that it doesn't matter since you will be using it for practice. And too, you're used to the 1/2 butter recipe.

What kind of shortening did you use? That may somewhat affect the taste as well.

kota77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kota77 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 10

When I took my first class, our teacher told us not to use butter in the recipe because it was just practice icing. This way we did not have to refrigerate it and we just used the same stuff over and over. When I make my BC I use the recipe that you normally use. Hope this helps and enjoy your class.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 10

I follow the Wilton recipe except where it calls for NO butter: I use that for making my roses, etc.
Then for my frosting, I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco. I use my vanilla or almond flavoring, not Wilton brand. Never tried their flavoring.
Also, I use the Meringue Powder (whether or not it works or not, I still use it) and instead of milk I use heavy cream. My instructor told me to use heavy cream so I do!
I know it gets confusing, but I also think the frosting tastes better the next day too.
Hope this helps.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 10

What brand of shortening are you using? A couple of weeks ago I used the new 0 trans fat Crisco and it left an awful aftertaste and a wierd feel in the mouth. Went back to the fatty store brand and all was fine.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:18pm
post #9 of 10

Wilton recipes are crap. Learn the technique. Avoid the recipes and any food related products. Wilton is all about looks not taste. Check out th CC recipe central for great workable icings.

dolfingirl82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfingirl82 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 10

I use crisco for the shortening. I use it in the recipe I normally use and it doesn't leave that after taste. Everyone is right, it's a practice cake. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%