Call To Action - Fellow Ccers

Lounge By DelightsByE Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 4:30pm by nefgaby

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:02am
post #1 of 58

Dear CC members

We are an amazing group of people. We are caring, honest, open, generous, and helpful. I am proud to be counted among these masses.

We have a member in need, and I am calling on you to help.

It has been recently brought to attention that one of our newer members, dsward, has been the victim of a house fire which has taken a great many personal possessions. She posted a thread earlier this evening asking to purchase second-hand decorating supplies from anyone who has them to spare.

I personally am not interested in selling her anything. I have gathered together a small box of extra supplies I have on hand and will send them to her as a gift.

Another member has offered to send a Michaels or AC Moore gift card for her to use.

I call on you all to do what you can to help. Go through your items and see if you have any duplicate or unused items. I am waiting for her to give me a mailing address, and with her permission I will give it to anyone who wants to send anything to her. If not - you can send them to me and I will get them to her.

By the way, dsward also has a birthday coming up in a few weeks.

Please PM me or post in this thread (or both so I don't miss it!) if there is anything you are able to do to help.

And I thank you for making me feel welcome when I was new, and being so supportive whenever I've needed anything. We are such a great community that verges on feeling like family at times!!

Love ya!

Elisabeth
Delights By E

57 replies
Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:23am
post #2 of 58

Oh, I am so sorry!! I missed the earlier post, do you have a link for it?

I wil go look through my supplies in the morning and see what I can find for her. I hate this so bad!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:33am
post #4 of 58

I'm just echoing the above message. I'm already on the list with a donation. My family has personally been thru TWO house fires and it is devastating to start over with the basics, let alone the little luxuries (like cake decorating equipment!). I am joining Elisabeth to ask for everyone's help in any way they can..... imagine if 10 or 15 people each sent one bottle of color, or a dozen people each sent one decorating bag with coupler, if 10 or 15 people each sent just one or two extra plates.

I'm copying something I posted in another thread, but I think it applies here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My deceased aunt (who was more like a grandmother than an aunt) said something one day that remains with me to this day. We were poorer than dirt and literally had no food in our house for 2-3 days. My aunt, who barely lived on social security, brought over a half bag of potatoes for us. She said (and it still makes me cry to think about it):

"I don't have much, but I'll share what I got."

I think this is the planted seed that sprouted my belief in you have to give back .... no matter how small a gesture, you have to give back.

You've no idea how big a difference that small gesture will make to someone.

Come on folks ..... none of us have much, but we can share what we got. thumbs_up.gif

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:56am
post #5 of 58

I have some duplicates around also. I'd love to help out and send what I can, as well as a gift card. When you get an address, please let me know. I'll keep her family in my prayers as well.
Brianna

(is there a way to make this post a 'sticky' so that it stays on the home page? I'm sure there are tons of people that would be more than willing to send some help that aren't on tonight..)

DelightsByE Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:59am
post #6 of 58

I tried to make it a s"ticky", but I think only Moderators can do that.

We'll just have to keep bumping it!

blmiller84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blmiller84 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:01am
post #7 of 58

here is a copy and paste of my post on the other thread:

"I have some duplicate tips and fondant cutouts that I will send you if you are interested icon_smile.gif just send me a message and I'll figure out exactly which ones i have duplicates of! If there is a JoAnn store near you, I can also send you coupons"

It is midnight here or else I'd go to the kitchen and look now! icon_rolleyes.gif

DelightsByE Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:38am
post #8 of 58

OK I'm giving this one more bump before I go to bed. It's my 9th wedding anniversary and my DH is giving me EYES....anyway icon_wink.gif

I will get back with you all tomorrow

Have a lovely evening!

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 7:21am
post #9 of 58

How heartbreaking! icon_cry.gif
I'll keep an eye on this thread, please let me know when you have an address!
<3

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:44am
post #10 of 58

I just came across this post. I don't use a lot of equipment with my decorating but I know I have a few things which I don't use any more. I make my roses on a stick now....no need for those flower nails. I will go through everything and see what else I find. I wanted to post on here so I can get the address as soon as it is made available. I know I have some old Wilton books which I never refer to any more. I bought a bundle of spatulas too....don't need all of those.
I'll do some cupboard cleaning in the morning and get a box ready to send.

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:05am
post #11 of 58

Hello all....I just came across the thread for the "free pan" and thought , wow, what a deal! THen I began to read over the post and thought, there is someone else that could use these a lot more then myself. I am so sorry to hear about your loss! My family has been through fires and loses of all kinds...its heartbreaking.

I would be glad to help, I dont have a ton but, like what one of the prevoius post said...I will share what I have...

It would be good to know where you are from though icon_smile.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 11:32am
post #12 of 58

Elisabeth

I sent you a pm.. please let me know what I can do to help!

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:39pm
post #13 of 58

Please add me to the list of those wanting to help.

DelightsByE Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 12:44pm
post #14 of 58

Good morning CC friends!

I have received dsward's information. To protect her privacy I will not post it here. But if you want to help, and you haven't done so already, please send me a PM letting me know you want to help and I will PM you back with her address.

She lives in central NC, about 45 minutes from Wilmington. In Wilmington there is a Michaels, AC Moore and JoAnn.

Thank you all again for your generous outpouring of support for a fellow CCer in need. This just reinforces what I've known all along, isn't it nice to know we're NOT a cesspool of evil?? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:02pm
post #15 of 58

Ok I just added me to the list. Hope everything will turn out fine for her!

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 58

oh that is so heartbreaking. I know what it is like to be through a fire and lose everything. It is just one of the worst things in the world to know that every last memory you have in physical form has been lost. I will see what I have that I can do without. This just breaks me heart especially because it hits so close to home.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:24pm
post #17 of 58

I think kudos should go to DelightsByE for spearheading this action! She is an excellent example of why CC is a great community and why we all feel like family on here.

Thanks, Sis!! thumbs_up.gif

DelightsByE Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #18 of 58

Thanks Indydebi, but I don't need any kudos. This community has been more of a help to me than I can ever express, I'm simply paying it forward.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:12pm
post #19 of 58

Wow! I don't have extra but, I would love to send a little something to her. That is just soo horrible what has happened. I couldn't even imagine. Thank you for starting this wonderful thread!

WE ARE NOT A CESSPOOL!! icon_biggrin.gif

hottiemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hottiemom Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:52pm
post #20 of 58

It will be my honor to send a little something.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:47pm
post #21 of 58

Anyone know if she has children? I'm sure that not only can she use some equipment, she could use personal items and things for the little ones to help get her by. Never know if she gets lots of duplicates, down the road she can have a garage sell and replace furniture, linens, etc. Can you imagine if this happened to you? I can't. I'd like to help any way I can. Maybe even gift cards to Wal Mart, Target, even a gas card, you know every dime she has is going for any necesity she can afford right now, this is going to be expensive for her and her family without help. There are so many things that are not replaceable, but we can sure help with material items.
Amy

DelightsByE Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:55pm
post #22 of 58

She did tell me that they were insured. But as many who've been through this may tell you, the insurance check really can't replace every little thing. If you were to go through your home and inventory every item you own, and calculate the replacement value, right down to the last coupler or jar of icing color, the check just doesn't cover it all. PLUS - how long you have to wait for your money!

I must say here that I am just overwhelmed at the outpouring of support I've seen here. Thank you thank you thank you.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonicakes

Anyone know if she has children? I'm sure that not only can she use some equipment, she could use personal items and things for the little ones to help get her by. Never know if she gets lots of duplicates, down the road she can have a garage sell and replace furniture, linens, etc. Can you imagine if this happened to you? I can't. I'd like to help any way I can. Maybe even gift cards to Wal Mart, Target, even a gas card, you know every dime she has is going for any necesity she can afford right now, this is going to be expensive for her and her family without help. There are so many things that are not replaceable, but we can sure help with material items.
Amy

I was just thinking the same exact thing Keoni!! I know I have some extra backpacks, if she has school age children. I was also planning on sending a walmart gift card for family needs as well as my cake duplicates and an ac moore gift card for cake needs. Elizabeth is right, who knows how long it will take for their insurance to get them a check, and even how long it will take for them to replace everything they lost, right down to pens, pencils, calculators, books, etc.

CC is such a wonderful comunity to be a part of!!!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #24 of 58

That's me, our Wal-Mart is having a major sell on Toys right now and I wondered about whether she had kids. As hard as a fire would be for us, can you imagine what it's like kids, espically when school is trying to start back. Anyone know about whether she has kids or not??

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:19pm
post #25 of 58

Yeah Insurance definately does not cover everthing. We had insurance when our place burned down and got a full settlement but I still don't know what we would have done without the help of family and friends.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:50pm
post #26 of 58

Hi, me too, please add me to the list! Hope everything works out with the insurance and stuff... God bless and best of luck!

DelightsByE Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:40pm
post #27 of 58

Hi - me again.

She and I have not discussed any needs other than cake supplies. But I bet she'd love to receive a personal PM from anyone with questions. I am doing my best to respond to all the PMs I've gotten from all of you with her address information....if I miss you accidentally, PM me again please!

Again - words cannot express how much your warmth and support is appreciated!!!!

Antylucifer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antylucifer Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:35pm
post #28 of 58

I am so sorry about your home and for your family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers to help you get through this time of need.

I don't have a lot of duplicate cake decorating supplies, but I'll send what I have. I would also like to send household items if we are able to do that. Would it be appropriate to send boxed/sealed food?

I wish you nothing but the best of luck while dealing with this horrible situation and will do anything I possibly can to help you & your family through it.
Sincerest Wishes,
Gail

DelightsByE Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:58pm
post #29 of 58

Hi!

I have received just SO many PMs from you lovely people who are helping out and I am really touched. Several of you are even offering to send household items and kids things, which is so kind and generous.

I do want to say, though, that my conversations with Deborah (member name dsward) have only involved cake decorating supplies. We have not discussed any other needs that she might have. I cannot confirm that she has children, or if so, what their ages are. Before you spend your time or hard earned money to send kids things, or other household items, I would ask you to please send Deborah a PM and find out what those situations are. I know she would very much appreciate hearing from you all personally.

You can search for her to send your PM in the member directory, under the name dsward.

Thank you all a million times over for your generosity, it's really quite something!!

BLESS YOU!!!!

Elisabeth

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm
post #30 of 58

I'll help out. One of my biggest fears is a house fire. Couldn't imagine going through something like this. I'll probably do a gift card since I don't have extra cake supplies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%