Should I Pay This Much For These Pans? (Vent)

Decorating By MaryAtk Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 11:54pm by Teekakes

MaryAtk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAtk Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 19

A little background about me -- I tend to get excited about ideas and go overboard and pay too much for things. icon_lol.gif For example, I once paid $20 for a ballet slippers shaped cake pan on ebay. At least it was brand new! The sad part is, I haven't even used it yet. But I will some day, I swear!

Anyway, my little boy will be 3 in Sept. He is totally nutso and obsessed with bowling. He wants a bowling party and a bowling cake. So I saw some cute cakes in the gallery here. One looked like it had used large cookies for the bowling pins and they were like falling over the bowling ball (the ball was made with the ball pan). Really cute.

As far as I can tell, there are NO bowling pin shaped cookie cutters or even large candy molds that would be big enough to look right with the ball pan ON THE PLANET ANYWHERE! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

So then I see a cake in an old Wilton catalog that uses the ball pan and something called a "singles" mold shaped like a bowling pin!! Of course, you can't find that pan anywhere.....except on ebay! There is ONE listing for one! Only ONE! Wow, they must be rare. (You know, if you can't find it on ebay...) The bidding is already at something like $10.25 for five of the molds. I can't believe anyone else out there wants these things too...I have the worst luck. icon_cry.gif

So the auction still has a couple of more days. I haven't bid because I don't want to drive the price up too much more. I really want to make this cake for my little guy....

I don't know if should pay up to $25 for this. I can't think of any other ideas to make these bowling pins.....

Thanks for reading/listening. Non-cakers wouldn't understand what the big deal is! icon_lol.gif

18 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 19

Calm down, sweetie. I'm about to save you twenty-five bucks. icon_smile.gif

Just download a picture of a bowling pin (Google Image Search), edit it to the size you need, and print it out. Now you have a template for your cookies or fondant. I like to cover at least one side of a paper template with adhesive sheet protector so it doesn't get yucky from the cookie dough.

Bowling pins made with homemade template:
LL
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAtk Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:51am
post #4 of 19

Doug, I love you!! So cool that you found those, and I appreciate it so much! I swear, I have been thinking about this and searching for weeks. I'm sure I googled it too...but I don't know what happened! icon_redface.gif

Diane, your cakes are beautiful and exactly the design I was thinking of. I might try the template idea...I'm just worried I wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Thanks so much you guys!!!! thumbs_up.gif

MaryAtk Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 2:53am
post #5 of 19

Oh, also..Diane - how did you do the top of the cake to do the 'boards' effect?

DianeLM Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 19

Mary,

Using a template is so EASY! Especially with a simple shape like a bowling pin. You just roll out your cookie dough, lay the template on and cut around it with a pointy knife. Obviously, it's more time consuming that using a cutter, but if you need only 10 or fewer cookies, it's a lifesaver. I made the first bowling cake 3 years ago and STILL have the template!

For the floor, I used a crusting buttercream. Impressed the lines with the side of a ruler. Then, airbrushed.

MaryAtk Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:16am
post #7 of 19

Thanks, Diane! A ruler! How easy! I went and picked up the party invitations at the bowling alley. I was so happy to see they are shaped like a bowling pin! ha ha! It will make a perfect sized template! So I think I will try that. I hope it works out. icon_lol.gif

In case anyone is interested, the auction for the pans ended at $20.50 (not including shipping). I never did bid. icon_biggrin.gif

MaryAtk Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:13am
post #8 of 19

Hi, just thought I would update and share how my cake came out. Nowhere near as nice as yours, Diane, but my 3 year old loved it and it was a big hit at the party. I did end up using the bowling pin shaped invitations as a template for the cookies. Thanks again for your help and ideas!
LL

hlaw97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hlaw97 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:24am
post #9 of 19

Good Job!! Cake came out great!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:26am
post #10 of 19

I just wanted to let you know that I think your cake looks awesome. You did a really good job on it!!! Congratuations!
Erin

Sionann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sionann Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:24am
post #11 of 19

Hey...the cake looks great! you did a wonderful job.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:40am
post #12 of 19

Hey it looks awesome...You can do just about anything with a homemade template and your not out any money! icon_biggrin.gif

MaryAtk Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 19

Awww...thanks you guys! You're all so sweet! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:27pm
post #14 of 19

Looks great! thumbs_up.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks for posting in your original thread!! YEAAAAH!!!

It looks adorable!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:42pm
post #16 of 19

icon_lol.gif I just came across this thread and cracked up laughing when I read your very first post, MaryAtk! You sound just like my friend Robin!! She gets ripped off on ebay buys too because of "bad luck" and everybody wanting that one thing she wants! Crap knows she may have been one bidding against you on it!!! icon_lol.gif It is hilarious and I CAN honestly laugh with you and Robin about this because I USED TO BE THE SAME DANG WAY!!! icon_lol.gif Took me a while but I learned some lessons in life and that there is most always a cheaper better way to do things than my first '"bright" idea! Robin has learned a lot too but still I have to reel her in and save her from herself every once in awhile. She recently joined CC so maybe she will read this and fess up!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

YOUR CAKE TURNED OUT ADORABLE AND VERY NICE! I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU FOR TRYING THE TEMPLATE AND MAKING IT WORK SO WELL!!!

Oh my Lord my face hurts from laughing at your original post!!

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:52pm
post #17 of 19

This is what I love about CC, there is always someone out there with a brilliant idea!!

Your cake turned out great! and you saved yourself $25+ - gotta love that!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:58pm
post #18 of 19

MaryAtk, I used to be an eBay addict but had to take the "treatment" and get off of there. I have a shed full of character cake pans (over 100) that I will never use. The next time you get a wild idea, just contact me. I might just have the pan. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (I did not have the bowling one though). One thing to learn about bidding on eBay is to not bid until the last minute. I never bid on anything until the last 5 minutes or less.

Your cake is adorable and I'm sure your son loved it. Even if you had spent the money for the pans it would have been worth it for him, I bet.

Diane

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:54pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

MaryAtk, I used to be an eBay addict but had to take the "treatment" and get off of there. I have a shed full of character cake pans (over 100) that I will never use. The next time you get a wild idea, just contact me. I might just have the pan. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (I did not have the bowling one though). One thing to learn about bidding on eBay is to not bid until the last minute. I never bid on anything until the last 5 minutes or less.

Your cake is adorable and I'm sure your son loved it. Even if you had spent the money for the pans it would have been worth it for him, I bet.

Diane

Heck! The last 5 minutes!?!? I am a "known" sniper on ebay and bid in the last 5 seconds! That way you NEVER run a bid up again yourself and you do not have enough time to make another "temptation" bid because the price just jumped up higher by another bidder. Oooooh that ebay! My feedback is almost 900 there! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%