Xbox Cake!!

Decorating By diane Updated 28 Jan 2005 , 11:19pm by jscakes

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Jan 2005 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 5

hi everyone,
i just wanted to let those who helped me find a picture of the xbox cake know, that i placed a picture of my cake in the gallery. this was for my son's 15th birthday. he loved it!!! thanks to all of you!!
let me know what you think.
diane

4 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 27 Jan 2005 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 5

Your xbox pictures look great! Did you have a tough time getting the icing nice and black?? I never really end up with a nice dark black color, even though I've tried it with chocolate icing! Happy baking, MIssey

Starmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starmiss Posted 28 Jan 2005 , 10:22am
post #3 of 5

WOW! That cake looks so neat! You did an awesome job! I'm new here and was wondering how you made all the indentations. I'm just starting cake decorating as a hobby and would love to make that cake for my husband's birthday on Feb. 14th. Thanks! And it looks awesome! thumbs_up.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 Jan 2005 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 5

hi,
this cake was a challenge because i didn't have any directions, so i took my husband's xbox and placed it near the cake and just looked back and forth while i was doing it. i used a long knife to make all the lines and a small one to cut out the holes in front. the green circle was made of fondant and everthing else was frosting. i don't like the buttercream frosting and neither do most of my customers. i omit the butter and use all crisco, and a secret ingredient, when i make non-chocolate frostings, which i didn't use here because it would have clashed with the chocolate. i don't know if omitting the butter makes the color darker, but it worked for me. i did use cocoa powder and a little bit of store bought chocolate frosting and made it a few days ahead. i found that the longer it sat the darker it got. even when i was frosting it, it was still a dark grey, but when it came time to present it, it was black. i was so happy, because i really wanted this cake to look like the real thing. my son was so shocked. what was so funny, was my neighbor's four year old said to me when he saw the cake, "are we going to play xbox?" icon_biggrin.gif that right there was a sure stamp of approval!!! icon_wink.gif hope this helps, and good luck in making it! let us see pictures when you are done.
diane

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 28 Jan 2005 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 5

diane: I did look at your cake and you did a wonderful job, looks like the real thing for sure. Okay, if you don't mind me asking, what is the secret ingredient you mention? email me at: [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%