Cake Business/licensce?

Business By ajbcmh1 Updated 20 Jul 2005 , 10:39pm by ajbcmh1

ajbcmh1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajbcmh1 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have a site or know where I can find info on selling cakes or obtaining a home business in NC (Charlotte Area)?
I've been on the state sites and I can't find anything.
I would like to know both obtaining a business and licensce.

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 5

Hopefully, someone from NC will answer, but if not, here is my 2-bits. In some states, home baking is licensed by the Department of Agriculture, and in others it is the County Health Department. If you call the health department, they should be able to tell you which is which for home bakeries also called "domestic bakery".

JoAnn

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 3:45am
post #3 of 5

i dont know about online. but you could always go to ur town office they would have info also maybe dhs. i had to go there when i wanted mine

thecakeboutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeboutique Posted 18 Jul 2005 , 11:13am
post #4 of 5

I dont know about online either but in my NC city you have to call the Dept of Agriculture. I believe NC is one of the easiest states to get home licensed in. The ag man told me basically he would come watch me make a cake, I needed ingredient labels for each box (with the wieght on them), all my cake stuff in a seperate area of the kitchen (like their own cupboard or rolling cart) and a thermometer in the frig. Then he said he was so busy I probably wouldnt see him again unless someone complained.

ajbcmh1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajbcmh1 Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you ladies for all your advice.
I did call the Dept of Agriculture in NC and they sent me an electronic copy of regulations to follow in obtaining a health food inspection for a home based business. If any of you would like a copy for NC please email me @ [email protected].

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%