Newbie. Thinking Of Getting A Mixer. Recommendations??

Decorating By bmcd17 Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 1:46am by mbarbi

bmcd17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmcd17 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 17

I'm new to this and have taken the Wilton I class, but I'm hooked. I want to try to make more cakes, but it seems like a good mixer will really help. My frugal hubby may not like it if I spend $200 + on one though. Does anyone have any recommendations on mixers? Thanks!

16 replies
missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 17

I love Kitchenaid http://www.kitchenaid.com/home.jsp (KA). You need to explain to your dh that purchasing a KA or Hobart, while the initial price can be fairly steep, will probably be the last mixer you'll ever purchase.

My mom's KA is 35 years old and still strong. She gave me mine as a wedding present 10 years ago and I've never had an issue with it.

My problem is I need to convince dh that I need a second, larger one. I don't see that happening till I can purchase it with profit from my business.

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 17

go with the kitchen aid. i know it's pricey but its worth it. I find that sad puppy eyes works with my husband but if he's still resistant, whip up some tears icon_smile.gif. I'm just joking. Puppy eyes will do it.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 17

Kitchen aid is the way to go. My husband bought me the kitchen aid pro. Love it. I use a lot, I even had to buy an extra mixing bowl. So if you are going to be using it a lot then it is worth the money. Now if you are just going to be using it may four times a month maybe try sunbeam (I know a few here use one and are happy with it)- it will make your husband happy and if it breaks you can see I need a good quality and reliable mixer because I use every week at least two to three times.

Good luck on your decision.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 17

Kitchen Aid thumbs_up.gif unless you can afford the 700.00 Viking or Loungi (sp) I've had one KA I bought used on Ebay , and the 4 1/2 quart new one. I use the old one with the lift bowl that's 6 quarts I believe. My suggestion is don't compromise on this. It's the main item you'll be using for cakes and frostings. Save and get the biggest one you won't regret it and it will last forever. Not really but pretty darn far. And an extra bowl. They are pricey but check Ebay. Both my KA have 2 bowls and I wish I had a third sometime. Good luck!!!!!!!!

I agree what you save in time pays for the extra bowls and paddles. Also check Lowes someone said they had the Artisian one there for 150.00

Also, Kohls does sales and an added 10-20-% off sometimes. A friend of mine bought hers from www.amazon.com She got an odd color that was discontinued but who cares as long as it runs good. Just some ideas.

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 17

i actually am a bit disappointed with my kitchen aide. prior to buying it, i had a Rival and it was much more powerful. My KA bogs down when i mix icing and since this is the main reason for having one (i mix cake batter by hand) i am less than pleased

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsweet

I use a lot, I even had to buy an extra mixing bowl. So if you are going to be using it a lot then it is worth the money

I have both an extra bowl and paddle icon_smile.gif. Couldn't live without them.

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 17

i agree with debster, get the biggest one you can afford because you will SOON outgrow it!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 17

cakesbycombs..........................I want the 20 quart bakery commercial thing for frosting by Hobart, but don't have 2,000 hahahahahahahaha I hate making frosting, never enough room in the mixer.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 17

I'm with cakebycombs, I actually sold my hated KitchenAid and went back to a Sunbeam. The only downside is that the Sunbeam doesn't have the larger 5 or 6 quart bowls.

bmcd17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmcd17 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 17

Thank you very much for your responses. I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 17

Ok I have to say since the money is tight, like it was for me, I have to recommend the Cook's brand from JC Penney's.

It's a whopping 700 watts of power, is a sleak silver and black, and is only $150.00 icon_wink.gif

Can be purchased online or in major JC Penney stores that carry housewares such as small appliances.

This mixer is the best thing I've ever bought. It's way cheaper then the KA Pro 600 and has more watts then the KA Pro 600!!!

My husband makes the butter cream and he used to use a hand mixer and it would take him hours to make 2-4 batches. Now with this mixer he can make 4 batches at once! And it only takes approx 20 minutes to do so! It's great for everything! He's made mashed potatoes in it, cake batters, brownies, mousse, etc. etc. etc. It also comes with a cast iron paddle and dough hook and a stainless steel whip attachments, as well as a pouring/splatter shield!!! All for only $150.~!!!!!

They are now selling attachments for this just like they do for the KA's and I must say are a heck of alot cheaper! My vote is for the Cook's!!!! It's the best for your money! Why pay $150.00-$250.00 for the cheapest KA and still not have anywhere near 700 watts of power? Why pay $450.00-$650.00 for the Pro 600 and still not have 700 watts of power?! This is the best commercial grade HOME KITCHEN SIZED stand mixer I've ever seen!!! Best one to get!

Sariann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sariann Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 17

I have the large
Professional 5 Plus Series Stand Mixer
Model #: KV25G0X
It has a wider bowl than they used to come with and is wonderful!!
I got mine a Home Goods for $250 and Kitchen Aid says that MSRP is $419

icon_biggrin.gif

captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 17

I'm in the KA club. Check out Kohl's...they are having a sale this weekend. I have the 6 quart model, and I absolutely LOVE this thing! This is something you will use and use and use. My DH and I are both on the "Dave Ramsey" plan, so money is always a huge thought when making a purchase.

We did come to an agreement tho when I started making money off cakes...and he said I could get my KA if I'd stop complaining about how terrible my hand mixer was...LOL Oh, and I had to agree he could go fishing whenever he wants...LOL (good trade off IMO)

Seriously, tho...it makes icing mixing and cake making sooooooooooo much less work. I LOVE my KA!!!!!

Cindy_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_S Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 17

Cooks brand. I love it!!! Mixes up buttercream like it ain't nothing to it. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 17

Look into Kenwood--not kenmore. Comes with a powerful moter and a 7 qt bowl. I have two.

I'm not a fan of the newer KAs. The "pro" model is really bad and has a well documented flaw. I got to know my UPS driver on a first name basis as I went through three of those mixers in 4 months. KA does have a good return/replacement policy. icon_surprised.gif

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #17 of 17

i'm a newbie too and i have the 5 quarts kitchen aid...made my life easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%