Help! My First Sheet Cake!

Decorating By mamakau Updated 14 Oct 2006 , 4:40pm by 7yyrt

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 18

A friend wants me to make a sheet cake for their wedding, it's a half-sheet (12x18 right?). I'm really worried about getting the cake out of the pan after it cools without it falling apart...any tips? My friend wants a chocolate cake with a chocolate whipped cream pudding filling, bc frosting. I'm thinking of using the ever-so-moist chocolate cake recipe from the CMD, but am worried that the cake might end up too soft to torte/flip out of the pan in one piece. Also, if I use the doctored cake mix recipe, in order to have a full cake, I'll need to make the recipe three times, each with it's own extender recipe?
For example:
CMD recipe + 1 extender +
CMD recipe + 1 extender =
= enough batter for 12x18 pan.

or is it:
CMD recipe + CMD recipe + CMD recipe + 1 extender = enough batter

Also, do I mix each recipe separately first and then combine it in a large bowl and then pour it into the pan? I'm so sorry for all the questions (and for the math), but I'm starting to get so nervous about this!

17 replies
steph007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph007 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 18

I've heard that if you combine a cup of crisco, a cup of oil, and a cup of flour, and use that as grease, it slides right out, but I've never had a problem with just crisco.

What is an extender?

mamakau Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 18

Sorry! The cake mix extender recipe from this website.

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 18

Wilton Cake Release!! THe only thing i'll ever use! THe cakes slide right out. every time.[/b]

mamakau Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 18

I have Wilton cake release, and I love the product as well. I'm more worried about actually transferring the cake from the pan to the cake board, and then, torting and filling, and placing the top layer back onto the cake over the filling....I've read about using a flat cookie sheet, that sounds like a great idea.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 18

I've used either a cake board or a flat cookie sheet and they work great for me. The biggest cake I've done this for was a 12X12 though.

mamakau Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 18

oh my, I just realized that I don't even have a large cake leveler icon_cry.gif CC shop, here I come!

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 18

I use a cooling rack the same size as the cake that I am cooling. This keeps the cake from breaking. Then I use a cake board at least two inches larger than the cake and flip it on to this once it's cool. Hope this is helpful. icon_smile.gif

caryncorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryncorn Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 18

I use cake release and flip directly onto my cake board with sheet cakes and have had no problems.

Also, I read a great tip on here a while ago to level a cake using a damp dish towel. Place it over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. This has worked wonderfully for me and I haven't had to use my leveler since.

Hope this helps

Marissaisabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marissaisabel Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 18

You really don't need a level cutter. I bake it at 25 degrees lower than what the recipe calls for and bake it 5-10 minutes longer and I most always comes out even. Or use the magic stipes. When I started baking these made my cakes come out even and moist all the time. I still use them and when I don't feel like using them I just bake it at a lower temp.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 18

I use the crisco/oil/flour mixture which I believe is the same as cake release? I also put parchment in the bottom of the pan - no sticking - and it helps "hold" the cake together when you move it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 18

I also use the crisco/oil/flour mixture and have never had a cake stick. For a cake that large I would use the flour nail (or 2) upside down in the pan to help it cook evenly and bake at 325. Just grease your flower nails and place them upside down in the pan then pour in your batter. If using 1 put it in the center of the pan, for 2 just space them evenly. Let the cake cool about 10 minutes then remove from pan. Remove the nails from the bottom of the cake and you will never know they were there once it is frosted. HTH

LmLBuddy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LmLBuddy4 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 18

I actually just made a 12X18 last night (my first) and it turned out pretty well. I used the flower nail trick and my cake was even without having to level it. I also baked at 325 for a little bit longer.

As far as the extender, I had this same question and someone told me how to do it on here. It is one cake mix (I use a box, but as long as the cake recipe yields the same as a box, it will be okay) plus one extender and then another cake mix plus another extender. I have heard to mix the two cakes and extenders separately or it can get really messy. So... cake+ extender (in pan) then add another cake+extender. Hope this clarifies. Good luck!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:25pm
post #14 of 18

I read a thread to make each mix with it's own extender. That is what I do and I have never had a problem.

I have on my sheet that it takes 14 cups of batter to fill a 12x18 pan, so 2 mixes w/ extender should be enough. I get just under 8 cups of batte per mix and extender. But I also like to fill my pans pretty full, so you may need another one. Wilton's numbers always seem a little skimpy.
so
CMD recipe + 1 extender =
= enough batter for 12x18 pan.

I what I would do. I am not sure why, but it works. Plus unless you have an industrial mixer,you would never have enough space. Hope this helps you out.

I also suggest the nail, cake release, parchment paper, and cookie sheet or cooling rack to help you out.

Stephanie

Stephanie

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:55pm
post #15 of 18

oh dear, please forgive my ignorance, I have never herd of using flower nails in baking before icon_redface.gif I think I've been away from doing cakes too long.... a lot of the terms on the site baffle me....good job you are all lovely people ready to explain. icon_smile.gif

mamakau Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 9:37pm
post #16 of 18

Thank you all so much for all your wonderful tips and ideas. I think I should probably bake a practice cake before I do the real thing, just to get the feel of using such a large pan. I'm still a little nervous, but am much more confident! icon_smile.gif

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 18

I use parchment paper in all of my pans. The cakes never stick. I would turn the cake out on a large cooling rack and then when cooled, peel of the parchment paper, center the cake board over the cake and flip. Mark all around the cake with toothpicks and using either a large knife or dental floss, cut through the cake using the picks as a guide. Use either two cake lifters or two cake boards (one on each side as this makes it easier to slide off) to lift off the top. Fill the cake and slide first one side and then the other back on top of the cake. VOILA! icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 4:40pm
post #18 of 18

I've heard when torting such a large cake, to use a cookie sheet to hold the top piece, and then slide it carefully off the sheet onto the bottom after filling...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%