Whimsical Slanted Cake

Decorating By adven68 Updated 12 Jul 2005 , 6:58pm by adven68

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hi cake nuts...I'm pretty new to this...so I'm trying out my first slanted "whimsical" cake. I found the great directions on this website and I commend whoever drew them up. I have only one question to those who are familiar with them...

after "digging" the well in the lower layer to accommodate the size of the upper layer and then cover them with fondant befor assembling, won't the fondant rip (around the well of the bottom cake) when you put the top layer on?

I hope I wasn't too confusing.....

Thanks...I look forward to your cake wisdom....

4 replies
susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 5

hmm thats a good question i wish i could help you. i have made a slanted cake and honestly i didnt make the wells. we didnt have any problem without the wells so maybe you can try it leaving that step out.

adven68 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Susan...I took a look at your photos...very cute cakes....(I love the runaway groom)
I'm sure that the cake would probably be fine even if I didn't dig the wells but this happens to be my first "paid for" cake and I have to be POSITIVE that those babies won't slide.

Now that I think about it....I think I should score the fondant so that it does tear....it won't show anyway....
the theme is actually similar to your "deck of cards" cake....I'll post photos of it tomorrow when it's done.

Thanks for your input!!

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 5

I just dod my first one this weekend. And I dug the hole first and then covered it, i pushed the fondant up against the walls in the hole and it stuck pretty good. The cake fit perfect and if it does tear you can use a border to cover it. I recomand using Marshmellow Fonant. It is harder to tear and has a streach to it. And it is very easy to make.

adven68 Posted 12 Jul 2005 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Sheila....I think I'll try that....

thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%