Anyone Know About High Altitude Baking?

Decorating By AnjaV Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 1:46pm by AnjaV

AnjaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnjaV Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:14am
post #1 of 6

I just recently moved to the Denver area and high altitude baking is new to me (I also have a new Convection oven, but at this point Im trying to figure one thing out at a time.. The oven also has a "cakes" baking setting too, that I've been using when I bake..) The boxes always have different directions for high altitude baking (one will have you cut down on liquids, another will have you add flour and change the amount of liquids.)

I've been looking at several scratch recipes, but I don't know what i would need to do to change them for high altitude.
Anyone from a higher altitude know a good rule of thumb??

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:21am
post #2 of 6

Not from higher altitude, but.....

Recipes for High Altitudes:

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/circ293.pdf

High Altitude Cake Adjuster Info:

http://tinyurl.com/3d6p5s

HTH

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:23am
post #3 of 6

Anja, first of all, welcome to CO - you're going to love it here! I'm in FC, just an hour north of Denver. I lived in Denver for several years, so if you ever need advice on restaurants, shopping, etc, let me know!

To answer your question - I've lived in CO for most of my life, and to be quite honest, I have never used high altitude instructions for anything when I'm baking, and I've never had problems. Now, if you were above 7,000 feet, then you'd want to switch over to high altitude, but in Denver, I think you'll be fine. I don't have too much experience with convection ovens, at least not for baking cakes, etc, but I hear they are great. I bet you could find a bunch of hints in the manual for it, or on the internet.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 6:11am
post #4 of 6

I lived in Utah for 7.5 yrs. (5700 Ft) and I really never had to make any changes to scratch cakes.
Could no longer make bread to save my life but you should find that scratch cakes turn out alright.
Good luck & happy baking

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:51am
post #5 of 6

Welcome to CO, I hope you like it here! I do both scratch and boxed baking and I haven't found any need to follow separate directions or add in additional things. I can tell you that I use an extender recipe (basically I use the WASC cake as my base and substitute the different flavors) and I always bake at 325 instead of 350-although I don't have a convection oven, so it may be different for you. Let me know if you have any other questions! Welcome!

AnjaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnjaV Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone!
Everyone told me I would have to make changes for higher altitudes. The one time I didn't (brownies) they turned out awful. Maybe it was just a bad batch..
I'll try again with out making altitude adjustments!

Thanks ladies!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%