If You Were A Beginner At Decorating

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 9 Feb 2016 , 6:23am by cakecreations_Oman

wgoat5 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:47am
post #1 of 13

what would be the book to get...your most favorite that you think helped you the most? I have the wilton books. But I need to pick up a few more to read and study. Thanks for your replies icon_smile.gif

12 replies
patticakesnc Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:50am
post #2 of 13

I am a beginner and the Wilton books are what I have along with this website. The "how to's" here are great.

What are you wanting to learn?

lmn4881 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:51am
post #3 of 13

I hear that the Debbie brown books are great but Im not sure if they are for beginners or not. Just do a search on the internet for Debbie Brown and you can look at her books on line and see if it's something you want to try. Good Luck!

christeena Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:52am
post #4 of 13

Dede Wilson's "Wedding Cakes You Can Make" is a great book because she breaks everything down and has a great how to section in the front of the book. The pic are incredible but the cakes are not overly difficult.

wgoat5 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 2:59am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

I am a beginner and the Wilton books are what I have along with this website. The "how to's" here are great.

What are you wanting to learn?

I need to learn everything...over and over and over again. But I love how to books and just wondered if anybody had any suggestions. icon_smile.gif

JaneK Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 3:00am
post #6 of 13

I would go to the library and look at the cake decorating books there....if you read one you love, then perhaps buy that one.
I have a few....Wilton..which have some good ideas and things that are not too difficult for beginners (build up confidence) and I also have a Toba Garrett book which I really like...never made anything out of it but I look at the pics of her awesome piping skill.

Besides my books, I have obtained the most amount of info, good hints and super ideas from CC...look at the articles on "how to" ..they are awesome.

7yyrt Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 10:49am
post #7 of 13

In addition to the Wilton books, get " the essential guide to cake decorating". $10 in softcover at any Borders Store. It's a special edition just for their stores. If you can't find it, they can order it.
It has all the basics, all the way up to and including fondant.

JanH Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 11:06am
post #8 of 13

The Whimsical Bake House is a good one.

I used a 40% off coupon to buy it at Hobby Lobby - so it was well worth the price.

Tat Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 13

I think it depends on what type of cakes you're interested in doing. Fondant covered, stacked, wedding, children's novelty....When I first started I was wide open. I wanted to do it all. And pretty much have. But as you go, you'll find your niche. That's what you should concentrate on. And then go to the library and look for cake decorating books. Our local library has tons of them, and I can't tell you how many times I've checked them out.

mqguffey Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 13

And check out the books on making figures out of clay. Those principals can be applied to fondant.

auntsushi Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 13

I have the Essential Guide to Cake Decorating from Borders also. It's a pretty good overview of alot of things that are basic....and I just ordered one of Debbie Brown's books off of eBay. I think it is the 50 easy party cakes book. I'm looking forward to getting it. I've been doing cakes for several months now.'

cakemomne Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:55pm
post #12 of 13

I love Toba Garrett' "The Well Decorated Cake" her descriptions and pictures filled in a lot gaps for me (I mainly had Wilton books before this one)

cakecreations_Oman Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:23am
post #13 of 13

plant cake is a good one

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%