Fondant Bubbling And Lumpy On Top Tier Of Wedding Cake!

Decorating By luvscakes Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 2:37pm by kylielam2005

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:05am
post #1 of 16

Hi ladies,
I posted a week ago asking advise on a wedding cake, it is all fondant, no decoration other then petals scattered down the sides and a ribbon around each layer.
My 10 " came together nicely, but the 6" has been horrible!
I have covered and recovered it 3 times already, so what am I doing wrong?
I thought the first time maybe I had put too much icing so I peeled off the fondant and smeared very little icing all around it. I mean this is a carrot cake and on this attempt, you could see the cake very clearly through the icing. Is that too thin??
My other thought is I am just rolling it too thin? I have no idea how to measure how I am rolling. I have done fondant before and not had this problem but am still a newbie at this.
Thanks!!!!
LL

15 replies
Tat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tat Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:07am
post #2 of 16

What kind of fondant are you using?

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 16

I am using MMF.... I have used it before with no problems, I think maybe I am just rolling it too thin, so I am going to try once again this afternoon.
Any ideas, anyone?

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 16

Try rolling a thicker one. MMF, my opinion, is very soft. I once mixed about a 1/4 part Wilton's fondant with it to give it stability. I'm not an expert but I got myself out of a hopeless moment this way.

Tat Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 16

Your cake looks a little "lumpy". Is it the texture of the cake, or is it a MMF issue? I use mmf on most of my cakes. To me the trick is to have the cake smooth and even with buttercream before you apply the mmf.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 16

Smooth your cake carefully, then roll out fondant to at least 1/4" thick. Then place cake on top of something smaller than it, maybe a Crisco can? When you drape the fondant it will fall down past it and you can smooth it downwards and it won't crease on the bottom and you can get some of the air out from under.

I think your main problem is that it is too thin. Good Luck!

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 16

I always roll mine the thickness of a nickel (the same as the thickness of a cake board). After you drape it over, smooth the top first then the sides; start going down one inch at a time all the way around, while pulling out at the bottom edge of you fondant. Repeat this until down to the bottom of the cake.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:49am
post #8 of 16

carve you cake a little to get a flat surface, all you need to do it use a serated knife when the cake is semi frozen and shave off any uneven parts.

then when you cover with buttercream get it and even as posibble before you cover with fondant

HTH...

kylie

Rachel8648 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel8648 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 3:15am
post #9 of 16

I think your fondant is too thin. Whenever I do a fondant cake I make my buttercream as smooth as possible, then roll out my fondant, drape it over top and begin smoothing first on the top with a fondant smoother, and than slowly work my way around and down the sides. Hope this helps!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 16

The last cake I covered with fondant I had nothing but trouble with for some reason. So I tried to think what I was doing differently and the only things I could come up with were that I rolled it out a little thinner. The other thing was I had put it in the freezer for awhile. I usually put it in the fridge for awhile, so I thought maybe the freezer would be even better! I thought the cake would be nice and firm and the bc wouldnt slide all around. But I dont know it just got a ton of airbubbles and it looked terrible. I had to do it 3 or 4 times. I finally just went to bed that night and started over in the morning.... cake just in the fridge and rolled it out sort of thick. Maybe I am crazy but I dont know if I will be doing the freezer thing again. Maybe somebody else knows if that makes a difference or not. Maybe I was just having a bad day icon_confused.gif

Tat Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 12:48pm
post #11 of 16

Merissa,

I always have my cakes at room temp when covering my cakes with fondant. I've not tried putting them in the frig. or freezer. Just apply a thin layer of buttercream to your cake. Let it crust, then smooth with a viva paper towel. Then while you are rolling out the fondant, the cake will rest. By the time the fondant is ready, the cake should be as well. I've found to get your cakes smooth, your fondant must be rolled out much larger than the circumfr. of the cake. This allows it to drape over the sides of the cake and makes smoothing easier. Try this.....let me know how it works for you.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat

I've found to get your cakes smooth, your fondant must be rolled out much larger than the circumfr. of the cake. This allows it to drape over the sides of the cake and makes smoothing easier. Try this.....let me know how it works for you.

Yes I absolutely agree that it needs to be much larger. I think that is the magic trick!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 16

Did you crumb coat first and then frost?

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 16

If I'm using fondant on a cake that doesn't have a layer of marzipan underneath I usually use two layer of fondant to get a really smooth look - however if you covered your cake with another layer I think it would still be bumpy at the moment.

I'd peel the fondant off, refrigerate the cake and then skim bumps off with a sharp knife. Let it get to room temp and then ice with thicker fondant icing. Don't use cornstarch when rolling it out as that can react with the cake and make air bubbles.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 16

i had a similar looking problem the other day (i should have taken a picture. ) the ridges where it was torted were extremely obvious. i also had the fondant in the freezer for a week prior. i let it get to room temp then rolled out using p.sugar/cornstarch on my board. maybe it was too thin...starting to wonder if the freezer for MMF is bad...since putting a mmf cake in the fridge causes it to get gooey/slimy.

kylielam2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylielam2005 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 2:37pm
post #16 of 16

The cakes way too bumpy. Also make sure the fondant isn't too soft...that makes a HUGE difference. And you can cover with 2 layers. I do mine thicker, especially if I'm doing one layer (1/2 inch thick). i realised every lump & bump will show up....& if the cake is eneven. I put a thicker layer of buttercream too with a cocolate scraper to get it neat. That made a big difference (the chocolate scraper...i have a cheap plastic one).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%