Tonja Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 12:35am
post #1 of

I made my first attempt at doctoring a cake mix.. It is chocolate and I added one extra egg per box and used milk instead of water and just a bit of oil. It seems to be really runny.....What did I do wrong and how can I correct it?

5 replies
Tiffysma Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 12:38am
post #2 of

If you didn't add the normal amount of oil, add more oil. The oil helps it to "emulsify" or thicken. Or add some instant pudding or sour cream.

CakeRN Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 12:43am
post #3 of

Yes you need to add a box of pudding to the mix to make it more dense. Choc fudge pudding works well. No extra oil needed but add the 4th egg.

Tonja Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 12:49am
post #4 of

Thanks guys... I already added an extra egg for each box and used milk instead of water.... I sent my sweet hubby to get some pudding mix.... I used two cake mixes.. .should I use two pudding mixes?

P.S. it was a butter recipe mix, so no oil called for... i did add about a tablespoon....

Tiffysma Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 12:53am
post #5 of

The butter recipe mixes don't take to doctoring as well as regular. In the Cake Mix Doctor books, she says to use butter recipe mix for her recipes, cut the liquid by 1/2 cup. But if you added what the box said, you should be okay. I think you would be safer just using 1 box of pudding for the 2 mixes together. I sometimes use only 1/2 box for 1 mix.

Tonja Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:38am
post #6 of

Thanks again... the pudding seems to have done the trick... it sure is good to have CC friends!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%