Hi Everyone..very New

Decorating By xobxsbangelox Updated 11 Oct 2006 , 10:38pm by valora387

xobxsbangelox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xobxsbangelox Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 5

hey everyone...I'm very very new to cake decorating and well I need all the help I can get. Im going to be 19 on friday and I am starting culinary school in January. I have been admiring everyone's beautiful work and i decided to post my 1st topic because I think u guys would be amazing to get advice from.

I would love to start with some very beginner cakes but i do not know where to begin. If anyone has any suggestions on the type of icing to start off with, what type of cake to make, and any other advice it would be greatly appreciated and i would love to hear from everyone

Thanks so much!!
Jess icon_smile.gif

4 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome and happy early bday!

I would start off with a basic buttercream icing and a box mix-I use Duncan Hines.

Good Luck to you! Post some pics as soon as you get can!!!

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 5

Welcome to the Nut House!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 5

Hi Jess, icon_smile.gif
Please don't feel ignored. I know you have not gotten any replies on your question. I too went to culinary school. CCA in San Francisco.
I love every minute of it.

As for the icing, if you are adventurous and daring, try Fondant.
But also at the same time, do buttercream. I love fondant (Marshmallow) that's why I only do MMF. Not only that you can make it way ahead of time, you can practically make everything out of fondant.
icon_smile.gif

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 11 Oct 2006 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 5

I would start off with a round cake to decorate! Square cakes can be a pain in the butt to frost when you just start out, lol (they can be a pain even if you've been decorating for a while).
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%