Son Went To School For First Time Today (Mommy's A Wreck)

Lounge By itsmylife Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 6:43pm by Dordee

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 31

So my older son started pre-k this morning. This is the first time he's been in any sort of preschool. I walked him in to the class and thought I was going to lose it. I think he was a little overwhelmed at first, but he was ok (not crying like some of the kids were).

I was more upset than him - though I tried not to show it because I didn't want him to be upset. As soon as I got back in the truck, though, --- WHOOSH, I was bawling like a baby. I thought he would be the one having a hard time today.....not ME!!!

Man...this was a rough morning.

30 replies
countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 31

icon_cry.gif I cried too when my kids started school.....it's tough out there for our babies. icon_smile.gif May your day be a smooth one, and may your little one be having tons of fun! ((((((((((())))))))))) HUGS to you. icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 31

When my oldest started school he practically pushed me out the door and I hated leaving him. My youngest will start kindergarten next year and I'm already dreading it, I'll be a wreck. icon_cry.gif

It does get easier to leave them, the first year my son was in school I was in at least once a week, now that he's going into third grade we don't show up nearly so often.

itsmylife Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 31

I didn't think it would be so hard for me. My friends would tell me about going through the same thing, and I would just laugh (what an idiot I was).

I know he'll be fine, and this is the first day of a whole new great experience for him. It's just one of those things, I guess. For four years I've had total control over him, and now I don't.

Oh poop....now I'm getting boo hooey again icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

On the plus side.....now my other (younger) son will get a little more mommy time.

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 31

My oldest will be in the first grade and my other will be in her second year of pre-K. But l remember last year when his kindergarten teacher came to visit before school started he had to do a poster to take to school to share. We had to put pictures of his family and such. Well when I got all the pictures out from birth to last year I totally lost it. I cried all day. My DH just laughed. Men don't understand these type of things. But his first day came and went and it was hard. But then I realized I have free time to do my thing. Like talk you guys on CC icon_lol.gif

Tonya

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 31

I really feel for you because I am going through the same exact thing right now. Except my baby is in Kindergarten. We did do the pre-K thing last year and as I was walking back out to my vehicle I couldn't hardly see the sidewalk because my eyes were so teared up. I thought this year would be different because I had already gotten used to him not being with me 24/7 and I actually came to enjoy my little 2 1/2 hour breaks each day Mon-Thur. But WOW, this year hit me like a ton of bricks! 8 til 3 is just too long for school to be in session. I feel like I don't have enough time with him anymore. I cried all day long the first day, literally! This is my only baby and I miss him so bad. The only thing that keeps me from home schooling him is that A. I don't think I would be disciplined enough to teach him everything he needs to know and B. He needs time away from me, so I am slowly getting use to it. My online college courses started today (so what am I doing on CC, huh?) and that keeps me occupied enough so that I am not constantly worrying about him.
Anyway, it will get better. I promise! thumbs_up.gif

harleyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harleyjo Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 31

My only child starts preschool in just a couple weeks. I'm already getting nervous. Hope all goes well for you and your little one.

itsmylife Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 31

Oh you're so right about men not understanding this. lol

Well, I was doing fine until I came back to check this thread....now I'm teary again hahaha. Only 20 more minutes until I pick him up.

Some of the moms and kids there this morning were both bawling their eyes out. I waited until I got to the truck to do it icon_razz.gif . Most of the people I saw had a video camera or a regular camera.

It's like... you know they are safe and happy and learning... but it's just that separation that kills ya. I know this will get easier... it's just nice to share with people who understand, though.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 31

I can't wait to hear how his first day went. Probably much better than moms! My son started last fall in the Young 5s program...he went two full days a week. His first day was awful. He was crying and mommy was trying very hard to not cry...of course, it didn't help that it was allergy season and my eyes were already watering...try holding back the tears when you're eyes are already watering!! Like you, I lost it once I got out to my van. I was still crying when I walked in the door...my husband, who had stayed home with the younger two that morning thought I was crazy...and then when I told him his little boy was sitting at school crying he thought we should pull him out!

Well, needless to say...it got easier for me every day. My son, however, cried every day (except for maybe three) that I dropped him off. I don't know why...he did fine once I was gone and always had fun...it was just when I took him that he cried.

This year my son will be in kindergarten, full time, with the same teacher he had last year. And my daughter is starting Young 5's twice a week. They will be in the same room (private school, and young 5's kindergarten are together), I think that will make it easier on us all!

So, I completely understand your pain...the tears are well warranted. It's hard to let you when they've been with you for so long!

Jodie

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 31

My oldest started school last year and I too was a wreck that first day. My DH, our other son who was only 9 months, and I walked him in and he pretty much said "Bye, go away mommy!" I cried all the way back down the hall to the car. Then I was back at the school at 2:00 waiting for him. He didn't get out until 2:45!!

Now, he is getting ready to start 1st grade and I'm a little better. My biggest challenge will be when my youngest starts. I've got a little while to get ready for that as he will be 2 in Nov. I told my DH that he'd better hope that my cake business takes off before then, or I WILL be a COMPLETE BASKETCASE when he starts icon_cry.gif !!

Good luck and remember that it does get easier and we are all here for you when you need to talk! icon_smile.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 31

I know exactly how you feel. My oldest started Kindergarden last year, he hadn't been to preschool, I did that at home, so it was his very first time leaving me. I drove him, and when we got stopped behind a bus picking up what was obviously another kindergardener I just about lost it. It also might have been easier on me if he had acted like he was going to miss me just a little bit! He was too excited to make new friends. He goes to first grade in two days and I am dreading losing my little buddy again, but he & his little brother have been fighting non stop for a week now so maybe a little time apart will be good. It does get a little easier as the year goes, and if it's like our first year of school, it will fly by. Hang in there.

Shelle

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 31

It is so hard to let go of our babies, isnt it? My oldest went off to preschool waving telling me I could leave he was fine. It broke my heart. Now he is 8yrs old and too grown up to hold my hand in public or to give me kisses. It just never ends. Though I have to say school cant start here soon enough for me. It has been one long bickering summer!! I have one going into 3rd grade and 2 going into 2nd grade.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 31

It really is hard to let go and turn them out into that big cruel world isn't it? I was one of those moms who dreaded my children starting school, and who loved summer vacations when they were home. I of course wanted them to be educated, to socialize with other children and to prepare for life outside of our little world at home. But still, once they make that first independent step away it breaks your heart a little.

itsmylife Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 31

ahhhhhh .... well, we're back! I drove up as the kids were lined up to go to the playground....so I sat in the truck a little just to watch. He was playing with the other kids, and even helped a little girl who had fallen down.

The teacher said that he did real good and behaved....so I'm happy with that. The first thing that Nicholas told me was that two girls in class didn't behave and their apples fell out of the tree (teacher has a board with a picture of a tree, and every kid has their name on an apple....if they misbehave in class, their apple falls to the ground). So... he said that his apple stayed on the tree the whole time (he seemed proud of that).

My younger son (2 yo) seemed to not really care about his brother not being there. I thought he would be more affected but apparently not...... apparently it's only MOMMY that gets upset by these things icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

We stopped by my DH office on the way home, and the other mommies were telling me their stories. One said her son just started 9th grade this year and rode a bus for the first time......SHE started bawling as the bus drove away.

Well.... one day down, only 12 more years to go icon_lol.gif

Thanx for the words of comfort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 31

Ah, new mommies! They are so much fun to watch! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I've been dealing with school systems for 20 years with 4 to go so I'm kinda the old timer on this one! But I never cried on their first day of school. Dropped them at day care where they caught the bus to school and when they came home, we heard all about their big day and how exciting it was for them to be all grown up!

Celebrate each stage of their lives .... because each is more exciting than the last one!

My favorite age is .... believe it or not ... when they are teenagers!

mbelgard Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Celebrate each stage of their lives .... because each is more exciting than the last one!

My favorite age is .... believe it or not ... when they are teenagers!

Are you nuts? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
I'm dreading the teenage years, my husband is looking forward to it though. icon_rolleyes.gif He didn't enjoy the baby stages too much and was so happy last year to put the oldest on a dirt bike, my favorite age is about 3-4 when they're out of diapers but still home. Husband is a mechanic and has already purchased a pickup to restore for the older child (he's not quite 9) and WANTS to teach them to drive and turn them loose. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:50pm
post #17 of 31

Ah, man!! Having a teenage driver in the house is GREAT! It's the one thing you tell them to do and they will do it without complaining! Run errands, go get some milk, take little sister to McDonald's. My favorite was giving my oldest daughter my credit card and letting the 3 of them go school shopping for supplies and clothes. I didn't have to battle the crowds or stand in line or get all ticked off because they didn't like the same clothes that I liked!

It is my husband's and my opinions that the reason the "generation gap" exists is due to parents who refuse to acknowledge that their child is growing up .... developing their own ideas, their own opinions. Parents want to think of their 14 year old as a 4 year old when you could just tell them "no" and that was it. They haven't recognized that this 14 year old person is moving on and developing ideas that may be different than the parents.

We LOVE discussions with our kids during this stage! It's a great way to find out what they are thinking and what direction they are going. And when it's a discussion (not a lecture) it subtlely guides and directs them to think and re-think some things.

Plus we just love a good debate! My 15 year old went thru a vegetarian stage and wanted to convert us. We put holes in every argument she put forward but I explained to her, "Honey, you are welcome to any opinion in the world, but if you don't know how to defend your stance with facts, then you are not going to be credible." It's sound funny, but we use this time to teach our kids HOW to argue! icon_lol.gif

Up until they are 5 or 6 is when you do the work. After that, if you've done it right, all you get is reward!

I'll save the "Grandchildren are even better!" speech for later down the road! thumbs_up.gif [/img]

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:08pm
post #18 of 31

I'll admit I teared up when each of my 3 started Pre-school, but I soon realized it was great for them and for me! It is very hard to watch them taking those first steps away from you though.

Mine are 23, 19 and my baby just turned 16 and got his license. My daughter, the oldest, lived at home while she got her bachelors, and moved back in with me to get her Masters. I ADORE having her here! I have loved my kids as teenagers too. icon_rolleyes.gif

My 19 year old went away to college. I promised mysef I wouldn't cry when we moved him up there and I did just fine until it was time to leave. I think I cried for 30 miles......

Hang in there, young moms......you and your kids are all going to be fine!

mbelgard Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ah, man!! Having a teenage driver in the house is GREAT!

Up until they are 5 or 6 is when you do the work. After that, if you've done it right, all you get is reward!

I'll save the "Grandchildren are even better!" speech for later down the road! thumbs_up.gif [/img]

The driver thing wouldn't be too bad if my husband wasn't talking about putting large engines in their vehicles and motorcycles so they can cruise with him. icon_confused.gif He figures that if they're responsible enough than they can get to do fun stuff. icon_rolleyes.gif

What do you mean 5 or 6? My 9 year old has the worst attitude right now and my 4 year old is better behaved most of the time, my mom's been telling me it's his age.

I want the grandkids some day since those can be sent home, I just don't want the worry of what they're doing when they're 16 so if I could skip the teen years I'd be happy. icon_lol.gif

itsmylife Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:04pm
post #20 of 31

You all are toooooo funny. I wish I was a young mom - it took us a little while to get the baby train going....so I'm not a spring chicken anymore. Blechhhhh .... I thought I would've been more emotionally ready to handle it better. So much for that idea. ha

The thought of the two of them leaving in a car gives me hives icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Although..... the idea of 'can you run to the store and get me another bag of sugar for my frosting' sounds appealing too. icon_rolleyes.gif

My kids are 2 & 4, and my DH is already eyeing the bigger boat he wants for his future fishing team. The already have their own, full size rods and reels just waiting for the day (right now the spongebob pole has priority).

Don't you wish you could just stop time, and re-live those times you cherish the most?

indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:12pm
post #21 of 31

To share a personal story, here is why I never worried about my kids when they were in the car. I have a 8" scar going down my left arm; my kids have grown up with mom having one arm slightly shorter than the other due to a car wreck I was in when I was 16. (For the record, it was my friend who was driving, not me.)

The day both of my older ones got their license, I held up the car key in front of them and said:

"When I was 16, my parents opened their door to find the sheriff's dept standing there telling them that TWO of their daughters were at the hospital because they had been in a car wreck. No parent should ever have to go thru that. Don't make me EVER have to answer that knock on the door." And then I handed them the key.

My son, got very blushed and said as he took the keys, "That...... that was good, mom. I'll be careful."

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 9:19pm
post #22 of 31

Here's a funny story for you without children who drive.....

When my oldest turned 16, she and her dad went to the DMV that morning so she could get her license. She already had a car (my folks gave her their old Geo Metro because it wasn't worth much to trade in). They got home about noon, and Amy ran up the front walk, waving her new license. She got to the front door and yelled "Adam...Ben....come on....I'll take you out for lunch!!!!!!" My 2 sons went barrelling out of the house and jumped into her car, and I stood there with my mouth hanging open, trying desperately to come up with a reason they couldn't go, as they zoomed off! All I could think of was that all of my kids were in a car with a driver who'd had her license for about 5 minutes! icon_lol.gif

Of course, they were all fine, but I almost paced a hole in the wood floor waiting for them to come back!!!!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:31am
post #23 of 31

It was the first day of the school year for my three children. I was ready to give open mouthed kisses to their teachers. Whoo Hooo! You've just gotta love hearing those school bells ring lol.

mbelgard Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

It was the first day of the school year for my three children. I was ready to give open mouthed kisses to their teachers. Whoo Hooo! You've just gotta love hearing those school bells ring lol.

My kids may fight but I love having them both home with me, vacations and days off are my favorites. icon_lol.gif My youngest can't wait for school to start because he has me to himself. icon_lol.gif

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 1:47am
post #25 of 31

I work at home so not having them under foot was a nice break. Of course, I wondered about their day the entire time. My three are ages 12, 8 and 6 and they have very different interests. Summer is busy. I'm glad that the camps are over and the demand for mom's taxi running hither and yon has ebbed. I literally went the entire summer with two sets of golf clubs, two baseball bags and a sack of soccer balls in the back of my van. Oh, and a pair of ballet slippers in the front console thingy where garage door openers are supposed to go.

School is a good, good thing.

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 3:40am
post #26 of 31

pre-k is rough to let them go. kindergarden was hard too because there in the big school now. but I was suprised about how hard 1st grade was from my point of view here I was letting him go all day long I had no control over whether or not he ate well or if he was getting over tired. ofcourse you get over that really quickly and you learn they will be fine. my DS starts second grade this week I hope its easier than the other 3 grades of course its a new town and a new school so im nervous for him. heck i cried two weeks ago when I dropped my 3 year old DD off at her first day of day care.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 11:55am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

My kids may fight but I love having them both home with me, vacations and days off are my favorites. icon_lol.gif My youngest can't wait for school to start because he has me to himself. icon_lol.gif

Me too!

cakekrayzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakekrayzie Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 8:29pm
post #28 of 31

well today was my nephews first day of scholl, and me and my mother went with my sis to drop him off he is extremly close with us all. my mom and sis were a wreck i keept it together for him, well they said we were welcolme to come have lunch with him. me and my sis did my mom stayed at my sis's house with my youger nephew. me and my sis left, so he could play the moitor assured us he would be okay. me and my sis came home, a half hour goes by and she gets a call form his scholl asking if she removed him, she says no they say i'm sure eveything is fine. my sis lives 3 houses away from the school she drops the phone and takes off running. me and mom follow in the car. we get to his class and the teacher says don't worry we have everyone looking icon_evil.gif what do you mean don't worry you can't find him!! me and my sis take off down the hall out to the playgorund searching like crazy, finally after 29 minutes icon_mad.gif they find him thank god!! apperently he wandered from the kindergarden playground to play with some older kids and ended up in a 1st grade class,but it took about 45 minutes before anyone noticed icon_evil.gif now my sis is considering taking him to another scholl because they can't be trusted. i remember when i went the teaher did a head count before entering the class she discovered he was missing after the class was settled and taking quite time icon_evil.gif i'm just glad he was found icon_biggrin.gif

cmeridge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeridge Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:58pm
post #29 of 31

I was doing the samething yesterday. My baby girl started pre-k. She wouldn't give me a hug bye. The teacher were telling me bye mom she will be fine as they pushed me out the door. No not really but that's how I felt. As soon as I got to the car I started crying. I called everyone I could for support. As the day went by I got better. I kinda enjoyed the peace and quite for the day. I have an son that is 8, so it gets very loud.
Today was a little different. My DD was going to ride the bus to school with her big brother. (They both go to the same school. icon_cool.gif ) The bus came and she wouldn't get on the bus. She took it home yesterday. So lets say I had to drop her off again. That made me sad again. I pulled into the driveway and started to tell her that we were home, but she wasn't there. I was by myself again.
On the bright side, I have done this before with my son. It gets better. It just gives me more time to be on cc. and make cakes icon_biggrin.gif

itsmylife Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

we get to his class and the teacher says don't worry we have everyone looking

OMG!!! I think I would've passed out. I can't imagine the anxiety you all must've been feeling.

Last year my good friend's oldest daughter started kindergarten. The first day of school, she walks to the busstop to pick her up at 2:30... all the kids get off... except hers. She wasn't on the bus. It took them an HOUR to find her daughter... she was on another bus crying her eyes out because she was the last one there and didn't know where anything was. The driver on that bus was trying to figure out where she belonged and couldn't reach dispatch because something was wrong with their radios.

The school was extremely apologetic... but she was fuming. Thankfully...no other problems after that.

Well...... anyhow, we just finished day 3, and it's definitely getting easier. The morning actually goes by really quickly. He seems to be having a good time at school, and his little brother doesn't seemed bothered by his absence.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%