Walmart Cakes

Decorating By Mommyofseven Updated 13 Oct 2006 , 8:57pm by stephanie214

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 5:32pm
post #31 of 34

I personally LOVE Kroger buttercream Icing....have not had Wal Mart cake before so I do not know about theirs.
The grocery store saved my butt for my son's first birthday when I realized that I didn't have the time or the money to make his cake the way I had planned.....$40 for a full sheet that kept me stress free and the kids on a sugar rush...worked great for me!!

Everyone has their own personal prefrence and everyone is going to have their own opinions.....Nothing to get upset about or take personally.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 7:52pm
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakequeen40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiberge

Yeah, we have groceries in our, just no bakery...

Well, trust me, you're not missing much, lol!

mmdd,

I take offense to your ccomment about not missing much at the walmart bakeries. I am a cake decorator at walmart. Although we do have to mass produce cakes, I stand behind my work. If a person takes the time to order a cake, I give them the same time and love I would by them ordering a cake from my home. I understand that some of the posters here dont like the cake toppers that Walmart has to offer, but many people do. My niece being one of them. She saves all of the toppers from year to year for her child. I have been a decorator for 6 years, and I am proud to say that I decorate at walmart!!

You go girl!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

anyway, I have to side with walmart and other stores doing cakes as well... I recently was talking to a friend of mine that decorated cakes at Walmart and said the same thing.... however she also happened to be someone that used to talk them down and such and had to finally admit when she went working for them that it was just her feelings at the time.....

everyone goes through something like that every now and then but I also must say everyone has their own opinions and I would hope the pride you have (and anyone else has ) for their cake work wouldnt take too much offense to what is said on here your cakes and your pride should overwhelm any opinion on here good or bad....

just keep on decorating and have fun... no matter who does it or where you get them the end result is it made someone happy to buy it or get it...

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkadoo

My sister feeds her family by decorating cakes at wal-mart.

that also matters.... it's an honest job and any job worth doing is worth doing well.... especially if it is for your family.

as of right now I will lock this thread while it is on a good note.

ButtercreamCakeArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 8:11pm
post #33 of 34

WEll, at our closest Wal-Mart (which is about 40 miles away) charges around $12-13.00 for a 1/4 sheet cake. That is for one with no cake "kit" like Dora, CareBears, Cars, etc. Just your basic one with roses, ususally. I have bought a couple. They have whipped icing there, and we all love it! YUMMMY! I have seen some nicely decorated cakes at Wal-Mart, Kroger, and Foodland, but I have also seen some poorly decorated ones, too! I've seen some that I think my 4 year old could've done better on.
For my DH's bday in March, I didn't have the time to make his cake (baby was 10 months and dd not yet 4). he went grocery shopping for us, and when he came back, he had this cake from Kroger. It was nice, and I wasn't sure what to say. I wanted to make it, but he said he knew I didn't have time, and it would be easier this way. icon_smile.gif OK. The cake was marble (yellow and choc) and the icing was caramel?? It had white roses and maybe choc roses? I cannot remember. It WAS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! My FIL's b-day is 4 days after DH's, and they went and got that same cake again! It is heavenly!

I also love the icecream cakes from DQ! (other than RV, that is my fave!)

Sometimes there are ppl in the places that don't know what they're doing, sometimes they do. Let's just hope they do if we have to buy one from there sometime!

I prefer to make my own (ahem, and everyone else's LOL), but that's not always how everyone else likes it. Sometimes it's just an impulse buy for them. Some really do like the store cakes. Some ppl don't notice that it isn't perfect. I, myself, am a bit of a perfectionist, so I notice everything! I've commented on ugly cakes or sloppy cakes in this one store before, but my mom was like..."It's just going to get ate anyway". Whatever.
I'll just stick to making my own unless I can help it! icon_smile.gif
Rock on, bakers, Rock on!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 13 Oct 2006 , 8:57pm
post #34 of 34

Sorry, thread is locked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%