coldtropics Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:19am
post #1 of 9

for any of you doing the extra tall tiers for example... (3 or 4) 2" layers
how are you pricing these? tia

jen

8 replies
shoup_family Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 9

You know I always make my cake layers 5 1/2 inches. And sometimes I have to cook three times to get it high enough!! If I put a lot of batter in the pan than it takes an hour and a half or longer and than it gets too brown on the outside, even at 325 with a flower nail. Grrr Here's a bump!

coldtropics Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:35am
post #3 of 9

Hmm. thanks. icon_smile.gif

yh9080 Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 9

For 8" rounds, I use 3 1/2 cups of batter per pan. By the time I add filling and icing, they are 4" tall. BTW-I have 2 layers.

brnrlvr Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 9

I'm not sure if this is what you mean...I have done one cake with extra tall tiers(the West wedding cake in my photos). It had 6inch tall tiers instead of the usual 4 inch tall. Usually my cakes have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling in a tier. This cake had 2-3 cake layer/2 filling layer layers in each tier with a cardboard plate separating the 2 layers. So it went cake,filling, cake,filling,cake-cardboard-cake, filling, cake, filling, cake in each tier. Did that make sence? So I served two layers from each tier. I priced it per serving. SO in a normal 6 inch I get 12 servings. This cake had 24 servings in the 6 inch. I charged full fondant covered price for the first 12 and normal buttter cream price for the 2nd 12 because I felt it didn't really take anymore fondant or time to cover the tier. I don'tknow if that is right or makes sence,but hope it helped! icon_smile.gif

CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 9

Jen I think I'd still price per serving. The only difference is that they will probably be smallet cut servings because it is a higher cake. So you'll get more servings.

On a taller cake I'd say 2.75 -3.00 a sevring. But I am no expert on pricing.

cCc

FrostinGal Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 9

If we are talking an 8" high cake, then it is, essentially, two 8" cakes stacked upon each other, iced, then decorated, (with a layer of icing under the board of the top cake. So it would be priced accordingly.
6" high cake I'd probably increase the price per serving a bit.

sugarb Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 12:43pm
post #8 of 9

When stacking xtra tall cakes, where you have a cardboard "hidden" in the middle of each layer, how do you do the dowling/sticks? Do you have a hole in the middle of the hidden cardboard and hope you hit it? Do you run a stick through the middle of the entire cake?

kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 9

sugarb asked: .......When stacking xtra tall cakes, where you have a cardboard "hidden" in the middle of each layer, how do you do the dowling/sticks? Do you have a hole in the middle of the hidden cardboard and hope you hit it? Do you run a stick through the middle of the entire cake? ...........

A seperate post has been made with this ?. Check it for answers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%