Attaching Ribbon

Decorating By jtka1972 Updated 13 Aug 2007 , 4:45am by cakequeen50

jtka1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtka1972 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone,
Is there any tricks I should know to attaching 1" satin ribbon around the base of a round cake?
Does the BC stain the ribbon with grease or make it bleed if using a bright color? If so, what can I do to prevent this?
Thanks so much for your help!!

10 replies
Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:43am
post #2 of 11

Thanks for posting this, I was wondering the same thing myself. Sorry I'm no help bt here is a bump so hopefully someone who knows will see it. icon_biggrin.gif

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #3 of 11

Try a small strip of wax paper. Cut it the same size as the ribbon. Also, attach the ribbon at the last possible minute.

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 12:51am
post #4 of 11

well, here's another bump, I am not sure about the staining, I used grosgrain ribbon and didn't have a problem but if you dampen the ribbon it is much easier to apply

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:01am
post #5 of 11

I've done it two different ways and they both worked just fine. I've used contact paper as the backing and I've also rubbed BC on the back of the ribbon so if there was any bleeding of the BC it wasn't noticable. I just used that method last week. Hope this help.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:05am
post #6 of 11

The ribbon will be stained by the buttercream if you put it directly on the cake. If that doesnt bother you then just be sure to ribbon your cake early enough for the entire ribbon to absorb the butter so the stain is uniform all around. You can use waxed paper as suggested or a thinly rolled strip of fondant to be the barrier between the cake and ribbon then attatch the ribbon to the barrier with dots of pipng gel.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 1:38am
post #7 of 11

The fondant is a really good idea, I never thought of that. I have a bride who wants this type of cake, but she also wants a border piped around the bottom. How do you keep that from staining the ribbon?

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 3:36am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGibson

The fondant is a really good idea, I never thought of that. I have a bride who wants this type of cake, but she also wants a border piped around the bottom. How do you keep that from staining the ribbon?

I have used fondant pearls but I think royal icing should work. When you cut your fondant strips cut them about 1/8" wider than your ribbon. Line your ribbon up with the top of your fondant strip so that there is a narrow border at the bottom which prevents the ribbon from touching the frosted tier below it.

bcortez01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcortez01 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:05am
post #9 of 11

If you want to use a satin fabric ribbon on your cake, iron it over wax paper. The ribbon
will have a wax coating on the back that will prevent the buttercream from soaking into the
ribbon. You still need to wait until the last minute to attach the ribbon. [Susie Parker,
Louisiana Day of Sharing]

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:33am
post #10 of 11

I did a wedding cake yesterday with ribbon around the bottom of all 4 tiers. My plan was to cover the back of the ribbon with clear contact paper because I have done this before and it worked great. However about 2am I realized my ribbon was too wide and I needed to cut it in half. Not really a problem but the ribbon frayed pretty bad and when I would stick the contact paper and try to pull it off again to straighten or adjust it would make a mess. I was really tired so i wrapped the ribbon without doing anything to it around the 14" bottom tier and trimmed it out with buttercream dream border (the cakes were all iced in BC dream) and decided I would go to bed for about 3 hours and decide what to do when I got up if it didn't look OK. I don't know if it was because it was black ribbon or because it was double sided satin ribbon but it looked perfect. I did the other tiers the same way with not problems.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 4:45am
post #11 of 11

I have tried the grosgrain ribbon and it still bled through. I used red and it ended up being maroon.

I tried ironing the ribbon between wax paper and it still bled. I don't know if I was supposed to use an extremely hot iron, iron longer or what. I used med/hot and it didn't work for me.

It seems inevitable that the ribbon will touch buttercream somewhere.
I am just accepting the fact that it will always bleed through and just make sure it greases up evenly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%